1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

Discussion in 'Disney's Hollywood Studios' started by Joe, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

But they did add that it appears the Stormtroopers will just have very limited (robot like) movement, if any.

2. darkridelover

darkridelover Premium Member

They will more than likely be mechanical figures that just turn their head or move an arm slightly.

truejonas and Mad Dog like this.
  3. AlexanderMBush

AlexanderMBush Legendary Member

Honestly, I don't see a problem with the figures being limited in motion, because it fits them quite well.

JawsVictim, HPFred, therock and 4 others like this.
  4. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

Also why drop so much money on figures that don’t need to move a ton. Invest in the figures that guests need to resonate with or will see for longer.

HPFred, kristenabelle, Nick and 3 others like this.
  5. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

:thumbsup:yes, that's what I meant by robots.......and to add..I was just reading an article on Touring Plans and they said part of the ride time includes time spent 'walking'. So it will be interesting to see how much time is actually spent in the ride vehicles ( if that's accurate).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  6. belloq87

belloq87 Veteran Member

The middle ground between light and shadow...
    I really hope not.

In one of the various write-ups around the internet (I've read so many this morning that I can't remember exactly which!), an Imagineer is quoted being asked about screens, specifically in relation to ROTR, and the response was essentially, "We know people want to see things that are tangibly, really in front of them."

HPFred and Mad Dog like this.
  7. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

It's kind of funny. After last night, and all the various reports we're seeing, some that seem to refute others, it seems like we know less about what this ride is really like then we previously presumed .

8. belloq87

belloq87 Veteran Member

I have noticed many of the write-ups contradict each other. Mostly in small-ish ways, but still... it's interesting.

Mad Dog likes this.
  9. rastuso

rastuso Rookie

They just said those 2 characters have AAs. Sorta like FEA has Olaf. But, what, 4 of him? I suspect one Hux and 2 or 3 Kylo.

Gee I recall being bashed when I said the whole 100 AAs was so ridiculous. Seems Disney felt they needed to throw out a big spoiler to kill off some crazy Diznoidiness around the ride.

They also did some stealth walking back of the ridiculous "fly the Falcon" rumors, but that's for another thread.

10. rastuso

rastuso Rookie

Of course. It was insanity to believe there were going to be dozens of high end Stormtrooper AAs.

11. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

An unscientific, but interesting, take on attraction interest....ROR has 26 pages of comments on IU, Smugglers Run has 3 pages of comments.....At least with us hardcore fans, ROR probably has the most anticipation. But I'd guess Smuggler's Run, with the Falcon, will be number one with the GP when it comes time to try for a fastpass..........

HPFred and JungleSkip like this.
  12. ilovetotravel1977

ilovetotravel1977 Rookie

That's fine with me!

rastuso and belloq87 like this.
  13. rastuso

rastuso Rookie

Agreed. Regardless if SR is ST 3.0 or 4.0, it's still a dreaded Universal Screenz ride. RotR COULD be Disney's long overdue return to form as a true world class dark ride maker in the US.

And folks won't be fighting over seats in RotR.

Mad Dog likes this.
  14. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

I think you misunderstand the whole screenz debate. People have a gripe about them because there's very little diversity in Universal attraction lineup lately besides motion simulators or screens. Disney has enough diversity that you shouldn't feel burnt out from the screen rides so them adding one I think is fine with most people right now at Disney. At Universal, there needs to be a shift away from screens, and luckily over the next few years we are getting that.

Both resorts have different strengths and weaknesses in their attraction lineups and they both need to figure out a way to round it out (and seem to be doing so).

therock, HPFred, HereWeGo and 5 others like this.
  15. Evan

Evan Member

Precisely. No one has issue with well done rides that utilize projections/screens...

They take issue when you go to the parks and you have: Spider-Man, Kong, Forbidden Journey, Gringotts, Minions, Shrek, Fallon, F&F, Transformers, Simpson’s... did I miss any?

That’s a lot of attractions that are all screens or utilize screens in an important way. I mean the majority of the attractions in the studios park are screen based...

16. rastuso

rastuso Rookie

That's simply not true. Disney rides using screens lately: Mystic Manor heavily used projection mapping for a new way to do things, leading to its amazing reviews. Ratatouille is all screens. FoP is one screen. NRJ uses multiple screens and mapping. smugglers Run is all screen. Rise of the Resistance will likely have lots of screens, and Disney has already said only 2 characters as AAs. Pirates Shanghai uses screens big time.

People attack Universal for essentially 2 rides, FatF and Kong, which has a huge AA at the end. And both feature physical sets, not just park you in front of a screen. Then Fallon, which is just a screen.

But all 3 of these rides were capacity additions, not marquee rides, and Universal didn't try to say they were major additions.. Disney haven't put in marquee rides in decades.

Gringotts is screen heavy, and if it's counted as just screens, GotG may possibly fall in the same boat. Gringotts has lots of high end AAs, full on sets, and a unique ride system. But many just call it screens. Then say FoP is a breathtaking experience

What's worse, building no big rides, or building some mediocre big rides to give new experiences and capacity?

17. belloq87

belloq87 Veteran Member

Mystic Manor is in no way a "screens" ride. You're never just sitting in front of a screen simulating motion, and it's PACKED with physical sets, props, figures, and AAs. You're also listing off attractions from multiple parks on multiple continents -- the complaints some of us have about Universal are pretty specifically about one park and the variety of experiences offered therein.

I also don't believe Disney has said anything about only 2 AAs in Rise of the Resistance. That number came from Robert Niles, who is certainly not infallible, and it contradicts what we've heard from others.

HUGE difference between these two. Gringotts is in a park full of screens-based dark ride hybrids and pure simulators. FOP is the only ride of that ilk in Animal Kingdom.

18. Evan

Evan Member

Precisely! The Disney parks are utilizing screen technology, but it’s far more spread out.

USF has 14 attractions, 8 of which are screen based or rely heavily on screens. That’s the issue that needs to be corrected.

19. JungleSkip

JungleSkip Premium Member

Anyway, I’m excited to hopefully hear the opening dates tomorrow

Joe, Nick and Evan like this.
  20. rastuso

rastuso Rookie

Didn't say MM is a screen ride, said it's a projection ride, using mapping for many of its effects. Yes, it has physical effects too, but the WOW factor it has that raised it to another level is because of projectors.

Universal Studios has two outside coasters, two amazingly themed inside ones, 2 full on classic dark rides, and an absolute high tech dark ride in Transformers. It is hardly a screen park. It has 1 movie, 3 simulator movies, and one hybrid simulator in FatF with a theme geared toward a very specific demographic that isn't likely represented on most theme park boards. But, it was always "ride the movies".

In the last 20 years, here's what Disney has built at WDW, not including kiddie spinners

DHS: RnRC, ST 2 (redo screens), TSM(screens), Slinky Dog [4]
    Epcot: Test Track, Mission Space (screens), Soarin (screen), Frozen [4]
    MK: Pooh, Philharmagic (screen redo), Little Mermaid, Dwarf Hill [this is what is disgusting, 4 new rides for the most popular theme park in the World in 20 years, and none are E tickets]
    AK: Kali, TriceraTop Spin, Everest, FoP (screen), NRJ [5]

About 1/3 of their very paltry 17 new rides in 20 years for the resort are screens. And if you instead look at the last 19 years, since each park got a new ride in 1999, 6 of 13 rides are screens. That's 3 new rides for each park in the last 19 years. I'll take lots of new rides, including screens, over that anemic number, that happened as crowds exploded, any day.

Universal has more screen based attractions because it actually has attractions built in the last 20 years. Disney is finally building high tech attractions, and... BIG surprise, many are screen based.