Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS) | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Numbers are hard to come by with true accuracy. But research and multiple sources is what I go by.

And everything I’ve found has FJ at $150 million give or take.

Transformers almost unanimously was at $100 million for each park.

One source tried to say that Test track is $60 million. 60 to start maybe but Disney blew 300 on it. Test track got redone and redone and redone.... during construction hence the price tag. 300 is what almost everybody gives as the final number.

Actually out of all major rides the one that you can’t get a real number on is Indiana Jones at Disneyland as I’ve only seen a couple of places give numbers but they truly vary between 80-250million with no one truly standing by their figure.

Oh and you want something crazy Ratatouille in Paris is reported to have cost upwards of 280 million.

After all this let’s just call it like it is: Universal gets a lot more bang for its buck than Disney.
I love both though regardless.
Transformers was a $100M project with production costs split between Singapore and Hollywood. Orlando's was significantly less expensive because one of Transformers biggest costs was creating and rendering the 4K content. By the time Orlando's was built, all of that was already done.

And to go back to my thoughts on AAs. I don't dislike AAs. I thought they were really cool when I was 8 in 1971. What I mostly dislike is how they are used. Slow moving rides where the AAs are the focus are coma inducing bores. I really dislike attractions like the GMR and SSE. Not because of the AAs, but because of how they are presented and how that presentation sucks the life out of the ride. They are literally ride through wax museums.

I think AAs work best in the queue and in AA shows where the story and score are front and center. I like HoP, American Adventure, CBJ, and the Enchanted Tiki Room.

All that said, from what I have heard, the 50 storm troopers are part of the second pre-show scene in a HoP like set up.

I do think this ride will be more screen oriented than people are thinking it will be.

Last edited:
The numbers I heard were that FJ's original budget was $65M and came in at just over $80M. And the entire Hogsmeade project was budgeted at $165M and came in at $200M. Diagon was budgeted at $400M and came in at $450M.

Transformers was a $45M project that they threw $65M at to make it happen in 13 months.
Thanks Dave. :thumbsup:

Transformers was a $100M project with production costs split between Singapore and Hollywood. Orlando's was significantly less expensive because one of Transformers biggest costs was creating and rendering the 4K content. By the time Orlando's was built, all of that was already done.

And to go back to my thoughts on AAs. I don't dislike AAs. I thought they were really cool when I was 8 in 1971. What I mostly dislike is how they are used. Slow moving rides where the AAs are the focus are coma inducing bores. I really dislike attractions like the GMR and SSE. Not because of the AAs, but because of how they are presented and how they suck the life out of the ride.

I think AAs work best in the queue and in AA shows where the story and score are front and center. I like HoP, American Adventure, CBJ, and the Enchanted Tiki Room.
Not trying to start anything but if Transformers was a $100million project with costs split between Hollywood and Singapore would that not make the attraction $50 million per site.

Now you stated that Transformers Orlando started at $45 million but clocked in at $65 million because of timeline.

All this while stating that Orlando’s version was the cheapest and yet from your wording costs look like this:
Hollywood’s=$50million
Singapore’=$50million
Orlando’s=$65million

Just doesnt quite make sense sorry but not sure how your sources saw it.

The film portion of the ride I could see costing $100million though. I mean hell the film portion if T2:3D was $65million.

latest

So I have a question about the 'Resistance Intersystem Transport Ship' pictured above. Will this be the ship we take in the preshow of RotR or a separate experience in the land? I'm quite intrigued by the idea of the turntable concept and how it might be used in the above image. We would board in the scene pictured on Batuu, go through a simulated takeoff into space where we are captured by the First Order and exit the ship on the Star Destroyer. As previously mentioned on here, the turntable would allow us to exit through the same door and see that same transporter ship we boarded but now docked on board the destroyer. There would probably be at least two ships on the turntable so one is loading on Batuu while the other is unloading on the destroyer. Am I way off base here?

Last edited:
Reactions: 12th Man and Ryno27
The numbers I heard were that FJ's original budget was $65M and came in at just over $80M. And the entire Hogsmeade project was budgeted at $165M and came in at $200M. Diagon was budgeted at $400M and came in at $450M.

Transformers was a $45M project that they threw $65M at to make it happen in 13 months.
These are pretty accurate. Transformers had some cost overruns unrelated to the quick schedule, but yes most of the jump is due to the timeline. I have a higher figure for Hogsmeade.

Reactions: TDBLMT
Not trying to start anything but if Transformers was a $100million project with costs split between Hollywood and Singapore would that not make the attraction $50 million per site.

Now you stated that Transformers Orlando started at $45 million but clocked in at $65 million because of timeline.

All this while stating that Orlando’s version was the cheapest and yet from your wording costs look like this:
Hollywood’s=$50million
Singapore’=$50million
Orlando’s=$65million

The film portion of the ride I could see costing $100million though. I mean hell the film portion if T2:3D was $65million.
Your math is correct. In the end, Orlando's did cost more than the other parks because of the accelerated timeline.

Reactions: TDBLMT and Ryno27
So I will respectfully disagree as every site, source, news, etc all report that transformers the ride cost $100 million dollars to produce per site.

These figure are not hard to find by the way.

I have the hard numbers. It was significantly cheaper than that. Greater than 75 though.

@rastuso Ratatouille is really no different than Transformers when it comes to set-screen integration. Maybe even a hair better. More recently Disney has used their stellar projection mapping and absolutely massive screens to better implement media into attractions. Also, the quality of the imagery in their latest is leagues better than anything Universal has to offer.

It appears to me that you have a strong bias towards Universal. Nothing wrong with that. But please, don't be naive.

You are naive to Disney's flaws. Disney sat on its laurels for decades, and phoned it in for the most part, then massively overhyped everything (see Expedition Everest). You say they are better, yet then admit their newest dark ride is the same as an older Universal one. HD Spider-man has the perfect look for a comic themed ride. Transformers is also absolutely top notch.

Kong and FatF have poor quality, but those were never advertised as top tier rides. Mionions is top quality imagery. Video imagery has changed dramatically in the last 5 years.

FoP has very good image quality, but that's all the ride is so it should. Even then, it looked to be nothing more than 4K at normal frame rate. And on the huge screen and as close as you are, it didn't look any different than my local LieMAX screen.

I don't see this ride having anything more than 4K screens. They'll blend well as black space videos. The Falcon ride is being advertised as having an ultra high resolution overall. Sadly, it looks like riders won't see much of it, so it will still look like 4K most likely.

Projection mapping is completely different. Disney is certainly ahead on that. I don't think Universal has it in any rides except basic stuff. Mummy could really do with a few high end projection mapping upgrades like Indy. Mystic Manor caused such a splash because of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkiBum
Don't get me wrong, I think Spider-Man is the GOAT but all your criticisms of screen blending at Disney are valid for Spider-Man as well.

What? Every Spider-Man screen blends with its surroundings. Doc Ocs entrance is the epitome of screen blending. Turning the corner to see a perfectly blended extension to the warehouse you're in, with perfectly synced moving points of convergence. Then later he breaks through a wall that connects exactly to other walls. Green Goblin's bridge scene is spectacularly integrated. The best film and practical combo scene anywhere.

And those are all 20 years old.

C'mon, Shanghai Pirates has videos of huge outside ocean scenes. Some don't blend with anything, except the water you are on.

Reactions: Ryno27
I always go with Dave's (Disneyhead) figures. Dave's sources are internal sources and would have the actual figures, rather then guesses and estimates from media outlets and the such.

Reactions: Ryno27
I always go with Dave's (Disneyhead) figures. Dave's sources are internal sources and would have the actual figures, rather then guesses and estimates from media outlets and the such.
No offense to Dave and I know he has has great sources. @Disneyhead gives us great information and I appreciate it.

With that said the outlets are numerous, credible, and have there own insiders who provide information. I choose to believe the majority on this respectfully. Sorry but I also can’t let the fact that he contradicted himself by saying Orlando’s was significantly cheaper(50 to 45 I wouldn’t call significant) but that it actually cost more.

My observations and opinions though don’t hate me lol.

Either way no matter what Transformers cost it is still one of my favorite rides of all time.

Hollywood’s=$50million
Singapore’=$50million
Orlando’s=$65million

Yeah, but the film portion of T2:3D was the most expensive per minute ever, inflation adjusted. And it was mostly practical except the finale, which was basic CGI, except for the T 1 Million. But the whole thing was a monster step forward in 3- D quality.

Transformers used existing 3-D models and transforming animations, and even used an existing large format villain that was also done for IMAX screens already. I'd guess it wasn't insanely expense for the 4 or so minutes. Even if it was like T2, it'd be 10 million or so, maybe upper teens with inflation.

Reactions: natespf
latest

So I have a question about the 'Resistance Intersystem Transport Ship' pictured above. Will this be the ship we take in the preshow of RotR or a separate experience in the land? I'm quite intrigued by the idea of the turntable concept and how it might be used in the above image. We would board in the scene pictured on Batuu, go through a simulated takeoff into space where we are captured by the First Order and exit the ship on the Star Destroyer. As previously mentioned on here, the turntable would allow us to exit through the same door and see that same transporter ship we boarded but now docked on board the destroyer. There would probably be at least two ships on the turntable so one is loading on Batuu while the other is unloading on the destroyer. Am I way off base here?
Yep, you’re on it! It’ll be the preshow for the attraction and serve as our transportation from Batuu to the Star Destroyer. I’m imagining the ship is going to be similar to the Storm Trooper transport ships in The Force Awakens as it’ll likely be standing only.
giphy.gif

And to go back to my thoughts on AAs. I don't dislike AAs. I thought they were really cool when I was 8 in 1971. What I mostly dislike is how they are used. Slow moving rides where the AAs are the focus are coma inducing bores.

Considering DL POTC is in my top 3 attractions of all time, I strongly disagree with you.

But, I get it. The impression that I get is that you're all about the thrill of the ride system such as FJ. TOT.

I love thrill too, but there is something magical about AA-centric rides like Haunted Mansion, POTC, etc. No doubt, "boring" in your eyes.

I think that the visuals on this ride can really only be accomplished via screens. Physical sets will work when being chased through the interior of a ship but the lasers, windows into space, and character interactions are all best solved by the usage of screens. It's kind of a funny argument. Screens allow the greatest freedom to try and create a storyline but they also can allow some laziness to creep in. Screens also allow for some value engineering as opposed to physical set/AA development. It seems, though, that amusement park ride fanatics really get caught on either side with no middle ground.

Reactions: natespf
You are naive to Disney's flaws. Disney sat on its laurels for decades, and phoned it in for the most part, then massively overhyped everything (see Expedition Everest). You say they are better, yet then admit their newest dark ride is the same as an older Universal one. HD Spider-man has the perfect look for a comic themed ride. Transformers is also absolutely top notch.

Kong and FatF have poor quality, but those were never advertised as top tier rides. Mionions is top quality imagery. Video imagery has changed dramatically in the last 5 years.

FoP has very good image quality, but that's all the ride is so it should. Even then, it looked to be nothing more than 4K at normal frame rate. And on the huge screen and as close as you are, it didn't look any different than my local LieMAX screen.

I don't see this ride having anything more than 4K screens. They'll blend well as black space videos. The Falcon ride is being advertised as having an ultra high resolution overall. Sadly, it looks like riders won't see much of it, so it will still look like 4K most likely.

Projection mapping is completely different. Disney is certainly ahead on that. I don't think Universal has it in any rides except basic stuff. Mummy could really do with a few high end projection mapping upgrades like Indy. Mystic Manor caused such a splash because of it.
Kong is at least 4k rendered at 60fps for the main screens. Its probably one of the highest quality 3D projections anywhere