Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

Well I agree with people's criticism of FOP and how it's basically a SCREENZ ride with no AA's. It's a good ride, but not the best.

You don't understand people's valuation of AA's. Ok. Let me ask you this. What would you prefer. Putting a bunch of screens on a ride devoid of AA's as opposed to fully-dimensional AA's that fuses science and art with thoughtfully implemented screens?

It's why Universal is shifting away from screen-based attractions and moving more towards practical sets with AA's such as SNW. They have received negative guest feedback and they don't want to lose more market share to the Mouse.

I'll grant you this. When you put it that way, I can see how a lack of thrill can be a downer about ROTR. But the way I envision the ride is that there where will stretches of calm, as well as more intense movement, especially towards the finale. Not Transformer level, but more like Indy level thrills.

PS: Have you seen the latest advances in AA?

They certainly have gotten very good at making wax figures.

My favorite 2 rides are Forbidden Journey and Tower of Terror. A grand total of 1 AA between the 2.

Last edited:

Agreed.

It's also what sets apart theme parks on both coasts to the amusements parks in flyover country.

Universal=Has AA's
Disney=Has AA's
Cedar Point=No AA's
Kentucky Kingdom=No AA's
Dollywood=No AA's
King's Dominion=No AA's
Frontier City=No AA's
Hershey Park=No AA's
Carowinds=No AA's

Why? They are too expensive to manufacture and maintain on a massive level. That's why all they have is coasters and flat rides. Nothing wrong with that though.

Well I agree with people's criticism of FOP and how it's basically a SCREENZ ride with no AA's. It's a good ride, but not the best.

You don't understand people's valuation of AA's. Ok. Let me ask you this. What would you prefer. Putting a bunch of screens on a ride devoid of AA's as opposed to fully-dimensional AA's that fuses science and art with thoughtfully implemented screens?

It's why Universal is shifting away from screen-based attractions and moving more towards practical sets with AA's such as SNW. They have received negative guest feedback and they don't want to lose more market share to the Mouse.

I'll grant you this. When you put it that way, I can see how a lack of thrill can be a downer about ROTR. But the way I envision the ride is that there where will stretches of calm, as well as more intense movement, especially towards the finale. Not Transformer level, but more like Indy level thrills.

PS: Have you seen the latest advances in AA?

There have been very realistic AA's for a long time. The issue is the combination of looking good and making sure they can last. Skins get mottled (I remember Alice in the old Mickey Mouse Revue looked like she had been splattered with latex when looked up close), joints wear out....

There have been very realistic AA's for a long time. The issue is the combination of looking good and making sure they can last. Skins get mottled (I remember Alice in the old Mickey Mouse Revue looked like she had been splattered with latex when looked up close), joints wear out....
Yep. Thankfully the new A1000 AAs used in SWGE will have a very long lifetime due to their all-electronic systems and advancements in skin material.

Why do I like AAs? Because I'd prefer to see something really there in front of me than something that isn't really there in front of me, all things being equal.

Not every ride needs AAs to be a great ride (inserting my mandatory "Spider-Man is my favorite ride" disclaimer here). But there are plenty of rides that would benefit from them (or more of them), and in an age where so many aspects of our lives are dominated by sitting in front of screens (of one form or another), I greatly value experiences that give me environments that are actually, physically there.

Last edited:
But if all they do is turn their heads, is it really that spectacular or ground breaking? I mean, Small World accomplishes that.

I think there is just a tempering of expectations here. RotR, so far that we know, doesn’t actually feature any new tech. It’s a trackless vehicle with a Spider-Man gimbal. It combines animatronics with screens. This is all, really, known tech. Because it’s known tech, there’s potential for the ride to be exactly what we expect. There is also the potential everything “clicks” on the innovation front and it surpasses the Spider-Man experience.

Nobody here is saying the ride will be bad. I think most of the discussion is fairly realistic based on what is known.

And I’ll acknowledge that a “rotating pre-show” is pretty cool. But, I doubt it will have the same “WOW” of the original Poseidon’s Fury. I also expect most tourists won’t really notice. Conceptually, it’s the Seas Hydrolift 2.0.

I think this is spot on, folks are going crazy over an obvious CGI video, claiming it shows how groundbreaking the ride is with actual footage, when all it shows is a screen and Stormtroopers that are going to be cheap AAs period. A real life storm trooper has like 6 points of articulation, anyone who doesn't think the lions share of these AAs, regardless the number, aren't going to be limited motion Stormtroopers or Resistance troopers is a full blooded DizNoid.

Shanghai Pirates has like 5 top end AAs, and it was the crown jewel of a whole park, anyone who thinks this will have 10 or 15 AAs like the one at the end of a River a journey is just nuts.

I think Disney is scared of Universal now, not e other way around. They had gone decades not adding crap, and after Potter, all of a sudden they are opening are tickets everywhere. Although Universal does seem to have balked with Nintendo in the states, sadly. They should have been well in to constitution by now. But, Disney is blowing their wad in a 2 year period, so getting an increase at Uni during that time would be next to impossible.

As for the ride vehicle, Disney took one of the best rides ever, IJatTotFE, and made a clone... Dinosaur. So, uh, even with great ride vehicles, they can miss.

They have yet to use anything close to Spider-Man, and I don't think this will either. Not sure why, because Spidey has a low height requirement, but they seem to not want to open a truly high end THRILL ride.

What color is the sky in your world?

Oh I'd love to hear examples of how Universal has blended sets & screens lately as successfully as Disney has on Shanghai Pirates, Mystic Manor, Navi River Journey, or even briefly on Radiator Springs Racers and Mission Breakout. They've barely fused the top of the screen with the ceiling and the bottom of the screen with the ground on Kong & Fast & Furious but by all means. Do tell.

My favorite 2 rides are Forbidden Journey and Tower of Terror. A grand total of 1 AA between the 2.

Forbidden Journey definitely has more than 1 AA.

-1 AA in the castle queue (Sorting Hat)
-Hungarian Horntail Dragon
-Whomping Willow (Takes a swipe at you)
-Aragog, the giant AA spider

I would also argue that the Dementors can be considered AA's, but I kept it off the list for the sake of simplicity.

I'll grant you that TOT doesn't have any AA's, but MB at DCA has a badass AA in the form of Rocket.

TBH, I really don't know why you're so blase about AA's in rides. Would the Matterhorn be the same without the updated Harold's reaching out to get you? What if Jurrasic was nothing but SCREENZ instead of AA dinos? Indy with all screens?

I rest my case.

Oh I'd love to hear examples of how Universal has blended sets & screens lately as successfully as Disney has on Shanghai Pirates, Mystic Manor, Navi River Journey, or even briefly on Radiator Springs Racers and Mission Breakout. They've barely fused the top of the screen with the ceiling and the bottom of the screen with the ground on Kong & Fast & Furious but by all means. Do tell.

Are you kidding? I haven't ridden Shanghai Pirates, and have watched little of it. From what I understand, the screens are completely separate scenes, not really blended at all, maybe with some simples sets on both sides.pretty sure the Sky ends abruptly at the top of the screen.

Mystic Manor, again from not looking at much, seems to be physical sets with projections. Sorta like NRJ.

Spider-Man set the standard for blending sets and screens. Bringing moving points of convergence with 3-D to an unbelievable product.

In almost 20 years, it hasn't been topped. Well, except for perhaps the Potter rides. It took multiple rides before i could even realize how the hell the FJ transitions were made. On my first NRJ, I said, "oh hey, there's a screen showing random Avatars walking behind the sets. Heck, Darkastle was just as good as most Disney efforts.

And Radiator Springs? The eyes? The forerunner to glowhead Dwarfs? It is a great 90 second C/D ticket dark ride. But not known for its projections

I don't understand why people think a ride can't be good with AA's. A good ride is a good ride with or without.

Back to Rise of the Resistance:

Sorry if already mentioned but is the expected ride a 3 part thing like Simulator->Trackless Vehicle->Simulator ?

Are you kidding? I haven't ridden Shanghai Pirates, and have watched little of it. From what I understand, the screens are completely separate scenes, not really blended at all, maybe with some simples sets on both sides.pretty sure the Sky ends abruptly at the top of the screen.

Mystic Manor, again from not looking at much, seems to be physical sets with projections. Sorta like NRJ.

Spider-Man set the standard for blending sets and screens. Bringing moving points of convergence with 3-D to an unbelievable product.

In almost 20 years, it hasn't been topped. Well, except for perhaps the Potter rides. It took multiple rides before i could even realize how the hell the FJ transitions were made. On my first NRJ, I said, "oh hey, there's a screen showing random Avatars walking behind the sets. Heck, Darkastle was just as good as most Disney efforts.

And Radiator Springs? The eyes? The forerunner to glowhead Dwarfs? It is a great 90 second C/D ticket dark ride. But not known for its projections

When you've ridden all of them, and know which scenes I'm even talking about, then you should comment.

I don't understand why people think a ride can't be good with AA's. A good ride is a good ride with or without.

Straw man. Who ever made that argument? The point was that AA's can enhance the quality of an attraction.

Disneyhead was basically making the argument that they are overrated and doesn't understand why anybody likes them.

Straw man. Who ever made that argument? The point was that AA's can enhance the quality of an attraction.

Disneyhead was basically making the argument that they are overrated and doesn't understand why anybody likes them.

How's that a straw man? (I also hate how that term is so overused now) I wasn't replying to anyone in particular, I was mearly commenting on the fact that whenever a new ride is mentioned a lot of people jump to "how many AA" like it's all that matters

While I don't want to speak for @Disneyhead , I don't think that you have captured his intent. The argument was more that AA's are not an indicator of whether or not a ride is good or not. His point was that AA's don't mean that a ride will be excellent. River Journey has the one big AA but the ride is not that great. Other rides like Winnie the Pooh in MK have few if any true AA's but is a very enjoyable ride. Flight of Passage, a ride that is considered good to even great, doesn't have any AA's unless you count the floating avatar in a tank. Spiderman has little in the way of AA's and is considered to be an excellent ride.

Thus, people saying RotR will be awesome because it has so many AA's are not making a strong case for why the ride will be excellent or not. @Disneyhead , please free to rebut or elaborate as you see fit.

Ehhhh... I wouldn't count the Hat since it's not in the ride.

The Dragon is really the only true AA.

The Willow just has the 1 limb moving, while everything else is static, as with Aragog which is mostly static. The dementors are also static, just moving on a Kuka arm. Physical props, sure. AA's? Nope. Either way, if we said there was 2 AA's on FJ - I think Dave's point still stands. AA's don't equal a great ride.

I would also argue that the Dementors can be considered AA's, but I kept it off the list for the sake of simplicity.

I'll grant you that TOT doesn't have any AA's, but MB at DCA has a badass AA in the form of Rocket.

TBH, I really don't know why you're so blase about AA's in rides. Would the Matterhorn be the same without the updated Harold's reaching out to get you? What if Jurrasic was nothing but SCREENZ instead of AA dinos? Indy with all screens?

I rest my case.
Argog is stationary., not an AA

This attraction has always been high in my can’t wait list for physical sets. We’ve never had a Star Wars ride with tangible sets and I hope there’s more sets than screens here. Even if just hallways, it’ll be cool being on the Star Destroyer having a tangible experience.

Up to now all we’ve had is the Star Tours queue, and I love the way it feels in there.

When you've ridden all of them, and know which scenes I'm even talking about, then you should comment.
Sure thing. You don't have to ride rides to know the tech involved. I've glimpsed at videos, but don't want to be spoiled.

Sounds like you think you are the only opinion that counts since you claim to have ridden all the rides.

Pompous much?