Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

So, I liked this more than I disliked it, and I'll certainly revisit it more than THE LAST JEDI. But the screenplay is, structurally, a gigantic mess, and what I don't like about it I really don't like...
Pretty much everything involving Palpatine. It's lazy to bring him back without explaining how he survived, and it's even lazier to suddenly give him a son that nobody knew existed until this movie. Much like how HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD retroactively damaged a key character for me, I feel this revelation about Palpatine dramatically undermines him. I simply don't buy -- at all -- there's any scenario in which he'd be involved in the conception of a child.

But on the positive front, I think Rey's arc and the stuff she's dealing with made me connect with her and root for her in a far more pronounced way than either of the previous Episodes did. I liked that she was wrestling with insecurity and other stuff that was messing with her mindset, and that she seemed fallible and potentially afraid of her own power made it extremely easy to empathize with her.

And Adam Driver continued to be the MVP of this trilogy. He sold the hell out of what could have been some pretty ridiculous stuff.
Where Ben Solo's story ends up isn't where I would have taken it (I would have allowed him to live), but I didn't feel like the Skywalker family's story ended on the bummer note I was worried it would.

John Williams, once again, delivered the goods, too.

Last edited:
Or it’s time for them to do whatever the hell they want. I want them to explore the galaxy and I can’t wait to see what Feige does.

Lucasfilms already said they were going to do a film based on The Old Republic. I’m wondering if the 2022 movie will be it. I’m not sure if Feige’s film will be the one coming out in 2022.

Didn’t know why I had to post this here but I did

This is still hilarious, but it's from right after TFA. I actually think that since this skit, they were little more careful with how they handled Kylo so he didn't come off so unintentionally comedic like he was in the first film.

I'm glad they took Kylo/Ben's ultimate path the way they did because he got off to such a weak start as a menacing villain that he was never going to be that figure. It made more sense to go the route they went with him.

EDIT: Scratch that - If JJ had followed the storyline set up after killing Snoke and really dove into the Knights of Ren, it's possible Kylo could've became someone to truly be believably feared.

I watched MARRIAGE STORY about a week ago, and seeing these two films in close proximity gives me even more appreciation for Driver's range and his talent as a performer.

I'm glad they took Kylo/Ben's ultimate path the way they did because he got off to such a weak start as a menacing villain that he was never going to be that figure. It made more sense to go the route they went with him.

EDIT: Scratch that - If JJ had followed the storyline set up after killing Snoke and really dove into the Knights of Ren, it's possible Kylo could've became someone to truly be believably feared.

I was satisfied.
I think ideas about redemption, forgiveness, and the ability to finally choose to do the right thing (even after making terrible choices) are baked into the thematic and spiritual DNA of what Lucas wanted the STAR WARS Saga to be about (in terms of what it's saying about the human condition). So going there with Ben seemed like the only viable option if this trilogy was ever going to feel truly connected to what came before.

I'd have rather seen Ben make it out alive and, knowing that he can't be truly accepted by most people because of his actions as Kylo Ren, set out into the galaxy as a kind of wandering figure, slowly atoning by helping others where he can. It wouldn't have been so close to repeating Anakin/Vader's arc.

But if it was a choice between what we got and Kylo dying an unrepentant bad guy, give me what we got. All day.

I watched MARRIAGE STORY about a week ago, and seeing these two films in close proximity gives me even more appreciation for Driver's range and his talent as a performer.

I was satisfied.
I think ideas about redemption, forgiveness, and the ability to finally choose to do the right thing (even after making terrible choices) are baked into the thematic and spiritual DNA of what Lucas wanted the STAR WARS Saga to be about (in terms of what it's saying about the human condition). So going there with Ben seemed like the only viable option if this trilogy was ever going to feel truly connected to what came before.

I'd have rather seen Ben make it out alive and, knowing that he can't be truly accepted by most people because of his actions as Kylo Ren, set out into the galaxy as a kind of wandering figure, slowly atoning by helping others where he can. It wouldn't have been so close to repeating Anakin/Vader's arc.

But if it was a choice between what we got and Kylo dying an unrepentant bad guy, give me what we got. All day.
Agreed on Driver, he's excellent and helped carry this trilogy heavily.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but Luke didn't get to live with Vader (or Anakin if that's who he returned to being in that moment) in RotJ and I think JJ Abrams basically looked at that ending and sort of copied and pasted with Kylo and Rey.

Saw it the second time with my mother today... the first half definitely feels better than the second, but damn this movie just really, really sucks... I've never seen people walk out of a theatre until today.

Did anyone else's theatre burst out laughing after Ben kissed Rey then died? It also made me want to laugh along haha...

k2jvfk7q8x541.jpg

Damn when Star Wars get the same cinemascore as the Charlie's Angel Remake and Playmobil the movie.

k2jvfk7q8x541.jpg

Damn when Star Wars get the same cinemascore as the Charlie's Angel Remake and Playmobil the movie.
Yeah people love to harp on the Rotten Tomatoes audience score for the Last Jedi as an indicator of audience popularity when there was an influx of spam accounts affecting its score. CinemaScore is a more reliable indicator of audiences’ feelings, seeing as how this is the now the only Star Wars below an A- is kinda bad, but it does line up with the new authenticated audience score from Rotten Tomatoes

After seeing it twice I have to say I really enjoyed it. I thought it was just mindless fun.

What I took away the most from it is...

-I’m always gonna cry seeing Princess Leia die.
-They have to go to Kathy Najimy to wipe 3PO’s memory.
-Babu Frik, those blob fish pig alien kids on Pasaana, and D-O were cute.
-I’m always gonna be happy to see Lando, cause I still wanna live in Cloud City.
-I really wanted to see more of Finn’s force sensitive storyline.
-I don’t think I’ll ever warm up to the idea of Reylo.

I guess for me Star Wars will always just be a fun little nostalgia trip so I liked it. For me, it’s just Star Wars, it’s not that deep.

I'm just glad that SW:GE on both coasts are open and that the Sequal Trilogy has wrapped up. Hopefully soon we can back burner most of the Star Wars discussions.

While wallowing in all this new Star Wars product since June has been fun, I'm getting a little burned out on it at this point.

I'm really shocked that people are disliking this more than the prequel trilogy which I find totally unwatchable. It may have had an overiding story from ep 1 to 3 but everything else about it was awful!

ROS was great fun, but I agree with all the views about the planning and execution of this trilogy. IMO Kathleen and anyone else in a similar power position needs to go, they have proved they are not capable of handling a cohesive story arc (or even coming up with one)

Psst, J.J. Maybe you should've addressed it in the film, buddy. So many random things were left unaddressed. It's baffling.

Just saw this again and I hate this even more this time around. Don't see myself ever returning to it again at this point. One of the few new things I noticed

Do they just never address Poe getting shot...? I was trying to remember as it happened if Rey healed him or something, but nothing ever came of it. He's just miraculously fine?

My god, I mean that’s interesting, but that’s not AT ALL what the film alluded to with it except for at the very end, which I think a lot of people could even miss. Ultimately, this film was really poorly executed.The more I’ve digested it I can live with some of the idea this films presented but it comes down to the very poor execution of the film.