Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | Page 36 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This was a nice nod:

They need a Feige. She’s a great Producer, but it seems she’s not great at running a studio.

You forget Feige had been with Marvel since the first Xmen movie and got the job because he was a major comic book nerd and knew the stories and characters like the back of his hand. But remember he was also producer on the problematic Universal Hulk MCU film that is canon but everyone ignores. So he isn't infallable but he just had a lot of time to create and craft the series.

Kennedy joined Lucasfilm right before preproduction on TFA.

You forget Feige had been with Marvel since the first Xmen movie and got the job because he was a major comic book nerd and knew the stories and characters like the back of his hand. But remember he was also producer on the problematic Universal Hulk MCU film that is canon but everyone ignores. So he isn't infallable but he just had a lot of time to create and craft the series.

1. He was A producer. Not THE producer on the Hulk.

2. So what’s your point? Because Feige was a part of creating a Hulk movie with a lukewarm response 10 years ago means Kennedy should get a pass?

the star wars team couldnt properly handle one trilogy....lol,
Colin Trevorrow tried to make ep. 8 and 9 flow together and have a coherent story but he couldnt.... why was he let go? his story sounded a lot better

Feige was able to control 22+ movies coherently and helped deliver one of the biggest franchise endings of all time.....
regardless of their quality, the marvel movies at least flow well lol. i have never heard anyone ever say that marvel is an incoherent franchise.
and they event helped sony with spidey on top of it lol

Meh.

I can't be the only one who was thinking of Matrix Revolutions during the climax, can I?

definitely yes, :ack:

okay i saw it, and besides personal feelings....

i am still truly, truly shocked and baffled that Disney bought star wars and then decided to make a trilogy without a clear outline and without hiring a director to do all 3 movies.
how does that even happen?
seriously, how does that even happen with a 4 billion mega franchise? so much money on the line and the reputation of the biggest sci fi franchise in history?

Hate the prequels as much as you want, I know how terrible they were written and directed, I understand. I fully get how terrible they were made. but At Least George Lucas had a clear outline and a clear story line that he wanted to tell from episode 1 to episode 3.
yes i Know those movies are bad, im not trying to deny that.... But at least George had a 3 part story arc that began and finished.
as bad as people think they were, you could follow the 3 part arc, and characters grow from each movie to the next.

Im not even trying to talk about the quality of the Disney trilogy.... but how could they just let JJ do one movie and go away while a second director comes to do something new without thinking about the next on,
and then the third movie has to fix the connection between all movies? how is that even possible?

im not even trying to say anything negative about the directors or the movies, but it is very clear there was no outline and the movies weren't planned out.... the movies dont follow each other coherently.
things are made up on one movie and things are ignored in another one, character arcs are set up only to be abandoned, the third movie introduces new characters that were never spoken about before, characters and motivations that were set up in the first 2 movies are not followed in the third....

im not even hating, im not even attacking, but im just flabbergasted......... i cannot remember the last time a trilogy or a franchise was this disjointed... i honestly cant think of another, a lot of trilogies and franchises have good or bad movies in between, but i cant remember a trilogy this disjointed.
It didn’t need the same director for all three films, that wasn’t the problem (the OT had three different directors). The problem was that the writers were different. They needed one writing team for the whole trilogy.

I personally think we should see how Kathleen handles Children Of Blood And Bone first before any big shift
Kathleen is that you? :look:

Reactions: Lucky Planet
Nah really I agree that she came into Lucas films power too shortly before the trilogy began for me to confidently say that a power change should happen

also what was Colin’s story?

1. He was A producer. Not THE producer on the Hulk.

2. So what’s your point? Because Feige was a part of creating a Hulk movie with a lukewarm response 10 years ago means Kennedy should get a pass?

So by that logic, then if he is just a producer, why do we give him most of the credit for the MCU? The good comes with the bad right. How about the fact he was the Executive Producer for Spider-Man 3You know the film that killed the Tobey Macguire franchise.

My point here is Feige had many many years to craft and create this series of films whereas Disney put Lucasfilm on a tight deadline to produce a number of Star Wars film to make money. Marvel was established and the MCU was going before Disney was brought in. Kathleen Kennedy became president in May of 2012 and they pushed out a movie by December 2015. You see my point here? Additionally, the series was already largely mapped for Marvel by the comic books which a lot of events of the movie were driven from with some changes which Star Wars was not.

While there was some stupid decisions made, I don't blame her solely for the downfall of Star Wars.

Reactions: QuackQuackQuack
So by that logic, then if he is just a producer, why do we give him most of the credit for the MCU? The good comes with the bad right. How about the fact he was the Executive Producer for Spider-Man 3You know the film that killed the Tobey Macguire franchise.

My point here is Feige had many many years to craft and create this series of films whereas Disney put Lucasfilm on a tight deadline to produce a number of Star Wars film to make money. Marvel was established and the MCU was going before Disney was brought in. Kathleen Kennedy became president in May of 2012 and they pushed out a movie by December 2015. You see my point here? Additionally, the series was already largely mapped for Marvel by the comic books which a lot of events of the movie were driven from with some changes which Star Wars was not.

While there was some stupid decisions made, I don't blame her solely for the downfall of Star Wars.

He wasn't the lead on Spidey 3...Arad was; and again... he was only A producer on the Hulk film. It was the only non-Marvel Studios/Paramount film (Universal) so it had more suits to deal with.

When Feige was the lead man behind the Studios, his track record is pretty impeccable. Also - he gets credit for the MCU because the MCU was his idea. Sorry, but using Feige's one small hiccup with the Hulk ain't gonna cut it here to defend Kennedy.

Also - Episode 7-9 was mapped out very loosely by Lucas. They just chose to ignore it and carve their own trilogy. Time had nothing to do with the decisions made.

For the record, it's not just Kennedy's fault - but she was part of the problem and head of the ship so...

The biggest fault of this entire trilogy is the inconsistent narrative. Both Rian and JJ, just like everyone else, are at fault on this. Rian messed with what JJ had set up (Snoke and Rey/Finn's romance), and then JJ tried to switch it back to his vision, but had to change it (Palpatine is the main non-spoilery example here). Neither choice worked out.

If only one of the two had directed the entire trilogy, we wouldn't be here right now. But here we are.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
The biggest fault of this entire trilogy is the inconsistent narrative. Both Rian and JJ, just like everyone else, are at fault on this. Rian messed with what JJ had set up (Snoke and Rey/Finn's romance), and then JJ tried to switch it back to his vision, but had to change it (Palpatine is the main non-spoilery example here). Neither choice worked out.

If only one of the two had directed the entire trilogy, we wouldn't be here right now. But here we are.
Again, multiple directors matters none as the OT had three different directors. The problem was no overarching vision.

Again, multiple directors matters none as the OT had three different directors. The problem was no overarching vision.

This is it, right here.

Movies are about storytelling.

The marvel effort worked partially because they had decades of stories to pull from, modify, and tie into one cinematic epic over 10 years.

The last 3 Star Wars movies simply had “let’s make 3 more movies!” As the motivation.

And clearly no story or vision. TFA was a sad copy of Episode 4. TLJ doesn’t even seem to fit in the same canon.

And now this one, with no real ties to the last one.

Great trilogies usually work because they were great stories first. Or at least because part 2 recognizes part 1, and part 3 recognizes parts 1&2.

The current SW trilogy was a trilogy first, with no stories. They just made those up on the fly as they needed to, according to the production schedule.

Reactions: Magic-Man
I saw it last night, I really enjoyed it as a popcorn film and honestly having to clean up the mess that is TLJ (Sorry, that movie had a LOT of issues), I think JJ did a good job and made a good Star Wars movie if you don't think too deeply into it.

I hated the kiss at the end though, it really didn't have any build up and felt extremely forced

Im starting to feel Kathleen Kennedy might get the axe after this one, this film is down about 20% compared to the previous TLJ. Still making tons of $ compared to other films, but there are different expectations for these. Someone is going get the can for this, I'm not rooting for anyone to be out of the job, but its the nature of the business. This certainly didn't unit the fan base like they hoped. Absolutely mindboggling these people can't make a somewhat coherent trilogy. Just awful and makes me think I could be a film maker.

So they hire Rian Johnson, he takes everything JJ set up and tosses it out the window and then has another director (initially Colin Trevorrow) to clean it up....yes, brilliant plan.

It would have been better if Rian was tasked with Ep 8 and 9, so at least we could get more of an idea of what he was going for by tossing out all of the ideas from Ep 7, but no, instead he's got the middle film and left another poor person to clean it up.