Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

During the latest Comcast earnings call they simply said it would likely be delayed a few months. Nothing else was said on the subject if I am remembering correctly.

Of course, the word "likely" is there because it's hard to predict what things will be like next week during this unusual time, let alone later this year.
Very fair!

Guessing that's the Donkey Kong expansion area below the Mario Kart ride building?
If it ever happens, yes I think we all believe so!

Also, I have to imagine the 2nd opening in the MK show building is Bowser's Courtyard, I think we already deciphered one was for ventilation, but I don't recall both being that? I can't imagine the top left corner of the MK showbuiling from this viewpoint isn't Bowser's Courtyard. Id put $$ on it

Sorry if this has been discussed in one of the SNW threads already, but have there been any rumors about what era of Mario Kart the ride might be based on? I’ve been playing a bit of Mario Kart 8 during quarantine and it has the zero gravity karts and hang gliders. They’re super fun elements, but obviously much harder to replicate in the ride. So is it assumed they’re basing designs on a slighter older version of the franchise?

Sorry if this has been discussed in one of the SNW threads already, but have there been any rumors about what era of Mario Kart the ride might be based on? I’ve been playing a bit of Mario Kart 8 during quarantine and it has the zero gravity karts and hang gliders. They’re super fun elements, but obviously much harder to replicate in the ride. So is it assumed they’re basing designs on a slighter older version of the franchise?
The track layout is out there if you'd like to take a look, but its going to have all elements it seems from all versions of Mario Kart. Maybe not "all" because I don't wanna act like an expert on each particular game, but, they'll be plenty going on. Im so beyond curious (as many here prolly know) of how this will all look and be pulled off, I truly think it'll be something!

I think in her podcast with Theme Park Shark, Alicia discussed how Universal's original proposal for Super Nintendo World focused on classic tracks and scenery that evoked imagery from the SNES and N64 games, the ones people who worked at Universal likely would have played.

However Nintendo requested that Universal shape the land to match recent entries, which form the current generation's visual reference point for Mario and the Mushroom Kingdom. Hence, the scenery of Super Nintendo World visually resembles the New Super Mario Bros games, Mario Kart contains tracks such as Dolphin Shoals, Cloudtop Cruise, and Twisted Mansion (MK8 tracks), and Donkey Kong visually resembles Retro Studios' recent reinvention of the DK Country games.

I think in her podcast with Theme Park Shark, Alicia discussed how Universal's original proposal for Super Nintendo World focused on classic tracks and scenery that evoked imagery from the SNES and N64 games, the ones people who worked at Universal likely would have played.

However Nintendo requested that Universal shape the land to match recent entries, which form the current generation's visual reference point for Mario and the Mushroom Kingdom. Hence, the scenery of Super Nintendo World visually resembles the New Super Mario Bros games, Mario Kart contains tracks such as Dolphin Shoals, Cloudtop Cruise, and Twisted Mansion (MK8 tracks), and Donkey Kong visually resembles Retro Studios' recent reinvention of the DK Country games.
Yup. That sums it up nicely. The old pitch concepts floating around out there were definitely more inspired by classic Nintendo, whereas what they're building feels more current.

That makes sense, especially with the concept art they’ve released. I love the look of the newer Nintendo entries, so definitely looking forward to that. I had a feeling the layout was floating around, but I’m trying not to know too much, if I can hold out that long (we’ll see :lol:).

I’m just so excited to see how they execute it. For as much as we know (or, at least, I know) about SNW, there’s still so much mystery about how it’ll all work, which I love. Y’all are so good at finding stuff out, I feel like it’s been a minute since we’ve had some real good surprises lol.

That makes sense, especially with the concept art they’ve released. I love the look of the newer Nintendo entries, so definitely looking forward to that. I had a feeling the layout was floating around, but I’m trying not to know too much, if I can hold out that long (we’ll see :lol:).

I’m just so excited to see how they execute it. For as much as we know (or, at least, I know) about SNW, there’s still so much mystery about how it’ll all work, which I love. Y’all are so good at finding stuff out, I feel like it’s been a minute since we’ve had some real good surprises lol.
With EU now at least one more year later it’s gonna be so difficult to not catch a POV of this thing one day. It’s one thing for me if I got an idea of a layout cause it’s Mario Kart so it’s nice to know but none of it is surprising, I just cannot wait to see how this works, just like you. I feel it could be super special if executed well. I got faith in this for sure

Here are more pics from ThemeparX

EYmsfixU8AAHJ45

EX56U-hXkAYzM9_

Looks like Universal is not giving up on using AR on Mario Kart. A patent published this month specifically describes how the AR/VR elements of a ride system could be updated and upgraded without "significant attraction downtime".

...It is also now recognized that it may be desirable to provide attraction features that readily allow upgrades, maintenance, or replacement of key components in a manner that does not create significant attraction downtime. Indeed, as one example, theme park attractions using ride vehicles have historically had long lead times associated with technical refresh upgrades. Thus, cutting edge technology (e.g., augmented or virtual reality) within these attractions can easily be outpaced by what is available in home consumer products.

Seems to me like they're building in a way to update the AR programming and technology without having to close the attraction. So, it might open with a somewhat crude version, but get better over the years. Kind of like being able to have upgraded Spider-Man to 4K without even closing it.

But, that's just my interpretation. No way of knowing exactly what this patent is for, if anything.

Full patent here, (although it was just posted publicly today so is still missing images and some data): WO2020068977A1 - Modular augmented and virtual reality ride attraction - Google Patents
I read through the abstract (and some of the claims) and got a completely different impression.

This sounds like there would be multiple AR/VR headsets (one per person) and one or more systems in the car that control effects (either the headsets or other effects). The goal of the patent would be to build all of this such that if one of those systems breaks, the ride car wouldn't break down and preferably the issues would only appear for one rider in the car.

It could be extended for some kind of rolling updates, where you update one system while the ride is running and it only affects one car at a time. Don't know why they would want this though.