TEA Report Released | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

TEA Report Released

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The only people who ever refer to these numbers are theme park fans. You never see a comment from Universal or SeaWorld or Disney on them. Because they all know they're a joke

The fact they claim IoA had NO MORE people going into it when USF had double digit growth is ludicrous

People should have realized that IOA should increase if UO increases due to some kind of train thing they added to connect the parks...

People should have realized that IOA should increase if UO increases due to some kind of train thing they added to connect the parks...

Parkhopping doesn't count for the numbers. With that being said, Diagon didn't open until the middle of the summer. To say that EPCOT or DAK got boosts with nothing new at IoA got nothing?

Ridiculous

Parkhopping doesn't count for the numbers. With that being said, Diagon didn't open until the middle of the summer. To say that EPCOT or DAK got boosts with nothing new at IoA got nothing?

Ridiculous
Don't forget that outside of peak times, early entry is at IOA, which means it should get the first click for many resort guests. IOA being flat is telling, IMO.

Well, guys, I hate to break it to you, but IOA has only opened but 2 major attractions (one that it shares with USF) and a few minor attractions throughout it's entire 16 years of existence.

USF is a much more compelling park to choose if I only had one day to do Uni. Say they were a Potter fan. I'd start in USF, like any proper wizard should - in Diagon Alley. Grab a wand, experience the land for awhile and then board the hogwarts express over to Hogsmeade. Grab a Butterbeer, go wait in line for Forbidden Journey, then eat at Three Broomsticks. Take HE back over once i'm done and experience the rest of USF.

That's how I would do it as a huge Potter fan, but as just a regular Joe Schome, where is that person gonna go? Where the newest addition is of course? So to Diagon it is! There's honestly nothing drawing guests to IOA right now immediately, especially now that you can get there via Hogwarts Express.

I'm sure some come back will be about how DHS or DAK don't even have a lot of rides/attractions. The difference is most people book long stays/ticket packages at Disney and don't know better. They figure, "might as well".

Well, guys, I hate to break it to you, but IOA has only opened but 2 major attractions (one that it shares with USF) and a few minor attractions throughout it's entire 16 years of existence.

USF is a much more compelling park to choose if I only had one day to do Uni. Say they were a Potter fan. I'd start in USF, like any proper wizard should - in Diagon Alley. Grab a wand, experience the land for awhile and then board the hogwarts express over to Hogsmeade. Grab a Butterbeer, go wait in line for Forbidden Journey, then eat at Three Broomsticks. Take HE back over once i'm done and experience the rest of USF.

That's how I would do it as a huge Potter fan, but as just a regular Joe Schome, where is that person gonna go? Where the newest addition is of course? So to Diagon it is! There's honestly nothing drawing guests to IOA right now immediately, especially now that you can get there via Hogwarts Express.

Right, but there are things drawing people to DAK, DHS, and EPCOT? Also, Diagon was only open for 1/2 the year. NO NEW PEOPLE came to IoA from January to July? Even during Spring Break?

Come on, man.

Reactions: Skubersky
I think the one thing you have to keep in mind with these reports is that WDW is the value leader in the industry. They are essentially the Walmart of theme parks. The fact that you can add a day to a WDW trip for around $10 and yet Universal was able to take market share away from Disney is a huge accomplishment on their part.

The numbers make no sense, they cannot be justified in any way.

The only way to have decent stats is if the parks produce their own data, agreeing on rules. They'd have the info based on increases in ridership and merch/food sales etc to give a better indications of any increases or decreases in footfall.

As we don't have this, it's all bullplop!

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
The numbers are inaccurate and inconsistent. Attempting to pull market share or any other information out of them is hopeless. Treat them as such. Anyone calling failure or "winning" based on them have an axe to grind; UOR, WDW, DLR, or whomever.

The TEA reports are suspect since they do not disclose how they arrived at their results. They are something interesting to look at, nothing more. Guess estimates at best. And as many here have posted, their results are often illogical when it comes what is known about park capacity, park hopping, publicly disclosed revenue increases, etc. Since the theme park chains themselves do not comment on the results, that tells you something about their accuracy.

Add a Harry Potter land, get double-digit percentage increases. Sounds about right.

What would be the reason for USH getting a double-digit increase though? Has there been anything new since Transformers?

That's right. I forgot Minions and Super Silly Fun Land didn't hit until 2014.

What is most interesting to me is that according to these numbers, the Magic Kingdom, on average, draws almost 30,000 more visitors per day than USF?

On average, the Magic Kingdom crams 52,000 guests per day into the park compared to USF's 22,600 per day.

IF we were to assume they worked on first gate click of the day only, could it be possible that IoA numbers held flat?

Rather than treating the parks separately, take the combined figures.

USF 8,263,000 7,062,000
IoA 8,141,000 8,141,000
---------------------------------------
Total 16,404,000 15,203,000
+1,201,000
(+7.9%)

Would people think that seemed like a fairer reflection? Especially bearing in mind that only 6 months of Diagon Alley is included in these figures, and that some people may have held off visiting until it opened.

What is most interesting to me is that according to these numbers, the Magic Kingdom, on average, draws almost 30,000 more visitors per day than USF?

On average, the Magic Kingdom crams 52,000 guests per day into the park compared to USF's 22,600 per day.

You're making bad assumptions.

I don't get how people can just write the data off as completely wrong. I mean, if they really are completely fabricated why even bother releasing them? There has to be SOME decent method for arriving at the figures that they do. I mean, parks don't release their attendance figures, so you guys who are all up in arms claiming it to be BS have no basis to say that because there's no way you can know the actual facts. I just think that's a little hypocritical.

Anyway, my 2 cents:
-a 4% increase at Magic Kingdom is WAY more than a 4% increase at Universal…so even though Disney's growing at a smaller RATE, they're getting the huge numbers still. The fact that they can grow and not do ANYTHING is not only pretty cool for them, but has to be scaring Universal. I know that everyone thinks that it's the other way around but think about it, Disney is now realizing that they can continue minimal growth and still stomp the competition…that's gotta hurt the guys who are throwing everything at trying to gain market share.
-the first-click method is interesting…obviously, most people from July on started their days at Universal so IOA lacking a bit in the report makes some sense…but isn't IOA the only park to do early morning entry? So wouldn't a good amount of "first clicks" be over there? Meaning that maybe the figures are less bias to USF than one would think.
-also on the note of first clicks, Magic Kingdom, I would imagine, would actually be underestimated considering how many people stop by over there (on their second or third "uncounted" click) after the secondary Disney parks close early and MK stays open.
-I would bet money that Universal actually sees higher numbers this year. Last summer was disappointing--the real money didn't start coming in until the fall, and this year has been a crazy good one for Universal in terms of exceeding both revenue and attendance projections every month so far.