Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

That Darn Marvel Contract – What Rights Does Universal and Disney Own

I think you're giving gusts too much credit. Hulk and Spider-Man are already at Universal. The guests don't know it's not Ruffalo and Holland playing them there until they get there. The confusion won't change if Uni says "We want the MCU aesthetic in exchange for letting you use the Marvel name at DL."
That's exactly why they shouldn't use MCU/real life actors for the rides though. Guests don't care.

We've had three Spider-Man's and two Hulk's in the past 10 years... it's not a good idea to make rides around actors that are interchangeable. By the time DCA opens their Marvel land, it the Avengers ride will already be out of date if they are using the MCU versions of the characters.

Also, I'm a Marvel fanboy through and through, but I don't think the MCU is going to keep getting stronger and stronger, especially after Downey Jr, Evans, and Hemsworth leave after Avengers 4. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see the upward trend continuing.
Just because they are losing big names/characters doesn't mean MCU can't keep going strong. Iron Man has been mostly just a co-star at best ever since IM3 and he's the biggest name.

Black Panther, Spider-Man, Hulk, Doctor Strange, Guardians, Captain Marvel, Ant-Man, Wasp, Black Widow, etc.... I think they'll be fine. They're certainly in a better position than the DCEU (which I wish would get it's act together).

Last edited:
That's exactly why they shouldn't use MCU/real life actors for the rides though. Guests don't care.

We've had three Spider-Man's and two Hulk's in the past 10 years... it's not a good idea to make rides around actors that are interchangeable. By the time DCA opens their Marvel land, it the Avengers ride will already be out of date if they are using the MCU versions of the characters.

Just because they are losing big names/characters doesn't mean MCU can't keep going strong. Iron Man has been mostly just a co-star at best ever since IM3 and he's the biggest name.

Black Panther, Spider-Man, Hulk, Doctor Strange, Guardians, Captain Marvel, Ant-Man, Wasp, Black Widow, etc.... I think they'll be fine. They're certainly in a better position than the DCEU (which I wish would get it's act together).

The big advantage for most of the characters is that you can’t tell who the actor is anyway. Hulk is all CGI and Spider-Man is wearing a suit. When you can see the characters face is the big issue.

As for DCA, Disney have the huge advantage of also being the same company that’s making the movies. That’s why Mission Breakout can so easily have the correct actors and have a relevant story.

Eh. Agree to disagree. MCU isn’t gonna collapse, but it won’t be what it was post Infinity War/A4

I will add, that everything I've seen from Disney on their Marvel attractions so far has left me extremely unimpressed.
Yep. Until Disney actually makes a ride based on a Marvel worth a damn no one can say it would be in better hands there.

Yep. Until Disney actually makes a ride based on a Marvel worth a damn no one can say it would be in better hands there.

Marvel's soaring popularity has probably lead to a laziness with the ride designs. They don't need to make something groundbreaking for it to be a huge hit, the name alone will do that. This also gives me slight anxiety about Star Wars Land.

Eh. Agree to disagree. MCU isn’t gonna collapse, but it won’t be what it was post Infinity War/A4

Strangely, I actually disagree, especially if Fantastic Four and X-Men come to the MCU following if the Disney/Fox merger pans out.

It could easily open the door to a lot of new angles for stories, introduce more things to the table, and establish the films to act more similarly to a Bond-like cycle of evolving their characters, worlds, and locations over time.

Marvel's soaring popularity has probably lead to a laziness with the ride designs. They don't need to make something groundbreaking for it to be a huge hit, the name alone will do that. This also gives me slight anxiety about Star Wars Land.
Ehh we know the ride designs are brand new for Star Wars so looks good compared to rethemes for Marvel so far.

Agreed it won’t be what it was, but it should still be stable.

And let’s not forget there’s also the potential of the X-Men joining the MCU.

But the X-men are going to need to be redone also. If they reboot the MCU with AvX it could work.
As much as that may be what you and many others want, Feige has a pretty clear direction he want to go in and he’s earned enough goodwill with the success of the MCU thus far that Disney is going to let him see it through I think.

As much as that may be what you and many others want, Feige has a pretty clear direction he want to go in and he’s earned enough goodwill with the success of the MCU thus far that Disney is going to let him see it through I think.
Of course. I don’t really want AvX but just stand alone X-men movies in MCU when Fox already botched Age of Apoc will be difficult IMO.

Of course. I don’t really want AvX but just stand alone X-men movies in MCU when Fox already botched Age of Apoc will be difficult IMO.
Marvel could easily do a completely separate X-Men Universe that builds to a crossover.

Honestly, all I really want is to see the Fantastic Four done right on screen.

Personally I want Marvel, should the Fox deal go through, to just make its own X-Men universe instead of putting them into the existing MCU. As it stands, it wouldn’t make sense to put the mutants in there randomly

I have also heard that Disney and Uni have been in more negotiations.

It doesn’t surprise me. With the success of Black Panther, Disney Parks announcing rides coming to three parks, and the looming Avengers 3/4 causing a fever pitch... IF they are going for a cash swap for the rights, then this might be their moment.

Truthfully, Spider-Man would be a huge loss. That said, it’s already seen one major revision, and takes up a lot of spaced compared to Transformers (or the upcoming multi-level Nintendo land). Surely, there could be more done with this space. Everything else would be essentially rethemed (Hulk) or replaced (Storm Force/Dr. Doom), but the underlying rides could be reused.

Just an FYI, I have been told that the characters on the shards are essentially a visual translation of the addendum. And are there to protect the rights. If they are on the shards, Uni has the rights.

I have also heard that Disney and Uni have been in more negotiations.

We always thought that, too.

But Dr. Strange is on the shards.

I keep hearing about negotiations too. I don’t think it’ll be a full buyout but “hey, can we use some characters...”

It doesn’t surprise me. With the success of Black Panther, Disney Parks announcing rides coming to three parks, and the looming Avengers 3/4 causing a fever pitch... IF they are going for a cash swap for the rights, then this might be their moment.

Truthfully, Spider-Man would be a huge loss. That said, it’s already seen one major revision, and takes up a lot of spaced compared to Transformers (or the upcoming multi-level Nintendo land). Surely, there could be more done with this space. Everything else would be essentially rethemed (Hulk) or replaced (Storm Force/Dr. Doom), but the underlying rides could be reused.
Do t expect it to be Universal giving up Marvel. That’s not happening.