That Darn Marvel Contract – What Rights Does Universal and Disney Own | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

That Darn Marvel Contract – What Rights Does Universal and Disney Own

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Do t expect it to be Universal giving up Marvel. That’s not happening.

But why? Universal has all the power in the contract... but they’re also stuck using them in one park (the contract doesn’t cover USJ’s Spider-Man clone). Marvel doesn’t have a huge food tie-in, and all Marvel merchandise sold splits profits with Marvel, and therefore, Disney. MSHI is great and all, but it’s tied to 90’s depictions of the comics, and not the MCU that is vastly more popular.

And even Disney has tested the waters, with Marvel bus wraps, Doctor Strange meet and greets, and the Guardians coaster at Epcot. There’s a desire from Disney to have these rights, and Universal can use that to their advantage to name their price... imagine Universal funding nearly half a park on one contract! It’s possible, and Universal could just walk away if negotiations don’t go their way. In other words, it’d be foolish not to even go to the bargaining table.

But why? Universal has all the power in the contract... but they’re also stuck using them in one park (the contract doesn’t cover USJ’s Spider-Man clone). Marvel doesn’t have a huge food tie-in, and all Marvel merchandise sold splits profits with Marvel, and therefore, Disney. MSHI is great and all, but it’s tied to 90’s depictions of the comics, and not the MCU that is vastly more popular.

And even Disney has tested the waters, with Marvel bus wraps, Doctor Strange meet and greets, and the Guardians coaster at Epcot. There’s a desire from Disney to have these rights, and Universal can use that to their advantage to name their price... imagine Universal funding nearly half a park on one contract! It’s possible, and Universal could just walk away if negotiations don’t go their way. In other words, it’d be foolish not to even go to the bargaining table.
More foolish than keeping a huge IP like Marvel in your own park? Marvel isn’t leaving Universal.

Reactions: LJGonz
I can't see Universal negotiating for the MCU to come into MSHI as we are basically 2 movies away from possibly losing at least a couple of the main faces of the MCU (and it could be a lot more) and it will be who people want to see, also afaik only the Guardians actors have something in their contracts about theme park filming etc (although Disney could have something in place for the Black Panther cast just in case) Disney also like money and they make a decent chunk of change from the deal I can see them negotiating a few rights here and there to allow for things to be used at WDW as it will be the main park where they only have a very limited presence due to the contract.

I’m not sure why “only one park” is an issue when it’s one of the centerpieces Of said Park.

Food tie in: Most properties DONT have one. Things like Harry Potter and Simpsons are complete aberrations in that department. All Uni would have to do is make up some BS like Disney did for Avatar to change that.

Merch: Uni gives Marvel way less money than they do to WB for Potter merch. Or Paramount for Transformers. Or Fox for Simpsons. The Marvel deal is a complete sweetheart deal for Uni.

I’m not sure why “only one park” is an issue when it’s one of the centerpieces Of said Park.

Food tie in: Most properties DONT have one. Things like Harry Potter and Simpsons are complete aberrations in that department. All Uni would have to do is make up some BS like Disney did for Avatar to change that.

Merch: Uni gives Marvel way less money than they do to WB for Potter merch. Or Paramount for Transformers. Or Fox for Simpsons. The Marvel deal is a complete sweetheart deal for Uni.
If we loose the Kabab place to Zelda, I could see a Shawarma place happening.

Reactions: JoeCamel and Teebin
Dinsey just recently made a black panther magic band, but I see black panther right next to iron man on that picture. Could universal or would they use Black Panther in the park.
Merchandise isn’t exclusive. They have spider-man magic bands also.

I see all of your reasonings, but I still think the Marvel contract was much bigger of a deal in the late 90’s/early 2000’s.

MCA signed that contract for a song, before Marvel started cropping up more in theaters (with multiple Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and X-Men films, and even the Hulk film in 2003). It was a huge get for them, and led to one of the best and more well-rounded lands in the park... at least, after Storm Force was added, there was something for almost everyone.

BUT! That was several management changeovers ago. Comcast came in, the US resorts began being marketed together, and Potter is the new Golden Goose (at four Universal parks, for now, at least).

By contrast to Potter, Marvel Island looks dated and stale, a reminder of the 90’s design philosophy of slapping some cut-outs on a building and calling it “themed” (Toon Lagoon’s King’s Row, USH’s CityWalk, and the Shrek 4D/Dispicable Me streetscape in USF being just as guilty of that). They can’t use the design or look of the popular films, or the now-relevant characters in them (certainly not Guardians).

And they haven’t successfully built a brand-new ride in that area since 2000 (Storm Force)... the rumored Iron Legion Ride is awol, and at this point (with Iron Man probably not surviving/retiring after the first or second Infinity War film), they kind-of blew their window to make that really appealing. Maybe they wouldn’t focus on Iron Man, but the suits... but then, that seems like a huge stretch to me.

So that means MSHI is essentially a “time capsule”of a land. Sure, they’ve updated Spider-Man’s ride films (and made the music dubstep... see how well that ages...), given updated costumes to the walkaround characters, and rebuilt Hulk (which I maintain, would stick around with new themeing if they give up the contract). It’s not a good position for Universal to be in.

Black Panther, now the most successful film at the box office, remains in Marvel’s library, unable to be used by Universal in any meaningful fashion. And even if they quickly pitch a new ride for those characters from the film (or their comic counterparts), there’s no guarantee that it would get greenlit by Marvel. And even if it did, they would have to retheme it to clone a ride like that anywhere else.

I just think Comcast has bigger plans than that. It’s one small corner of the park that has a contract that could be potentially worth millions (billions?), versus Disney’s deep pockets and willingness to buy out a contract to achieve parity with DLR. I think it’s worth discussing and theorizing on.

After all, both resorts would win here. Disney would get Marvel, and Universal would likely redesign the island to fit something else. Maybe even demolish Spider-Man for a new multi-level space, like Nintendo Land is said to be. I’m just spit-balling, but overall there is so much to gain by dissolving this link between Marvel and Universal (and that’s coming from a person who worked in MSHI for two years, and loves the place!)

I see all of your reasonings, but I still think the Marvel contract was much bigger of a deal in the late 90’s/early 2000’s.

After all, both resorts would win here. Disney would get Marvel, and Universal would likely redesign the island to fit something else. Maybe even demolish Spider-Man for a new multi-level space, like Nintendo Land is said to be. I’m just spit-balling, but overall there is so much to gain by dissolving this link between Marvel and Universal (and that’s coming from a person who worked in MSHI for two years, and loves the place!)

I still don't understand how this is a win-win? Let's take a look at some things....

The idea that Universal needs to get ride of MSHI is, frankly, stupid. Marvel is one of the hottest, biggest IP's right now. A dated look can be updated (as seen by the redesign of Spidey and Hulk). No, they can't do the movie look, but they can update the land to reflect modern times.

This notion that Comcast needs/could use the money is also stupid.... Comcast is operating with more revenue, income, and assets than Disney is as of 2017. Comcast don't need jack for help.

Disney has yet to show something worthwhile with their Marvel interpretations while Universal clearly has the best 2 Marvel rides (which Spidey being praised as a GOAT).

Universal still can add attractions as long as they are using their families currently. So whether it be Iron Legion, Avengers, X-Men, etc.... they have the choice.

The ball is 100% undeniably in Universal's court with nothing to gain from any deal other than playing nice to Disney.

The idea that Universal needs to get ride of MSHI is, frankly, stupid. Marvel is one of the hottest, biggest IP's right now. A dated look can be updated (as seen by the redesign of Spidey and Hulk). No, they can't do the movie look, but they can update the land to reflect modern times.

This notion that Comcast needs/could use the money is also stupid.... Comcast is operating with more revenue, income, and assets than Disney is as of 2017. Comcast don't need jack for help.

Universal still can add attractions as long as they are using their families currently. So whether it be Iron Legion, Avengers, X-Men, etc.... they have the choice.

The ball is 100% undeniably in Universal's court with nothing to gain from any deal other than playing nice to Disney.

Agreed with most of this. I don’t think UO _has_ to get rid of Marvel, but this would be a strategic time to do it (as Marvel is huge at the box office). Likewise, Comcast doesn’t need Disney’s money exactly, but you have to wonder what the terms/cost to them would be.

I’m also not arguing that Spider-Man isn’t a great ride, but the other three could get by with just cosmetic changes. Spidey is a classic and probably my favorite Universal ride, but Universal has closed a lot of great rides before their time (BTTF, Jaws, Dragon Challenge, etc). It wouldn’t surprise me, is all I’m suggesting. To each his (or her) own on that.

As far as the Iron Legion, or any other ride, there’s not much more than rumors to go off of. Something is holding that up...

And as far as “win-win,” Disney building Marvel rides and Universal doing an island replacement (or just Spider-Man, really) could be huge. Two creative teams, trying to out-do each other, both taking advantage of this particular situation? That sounds like a win to me. I don’t know, I think it’s interesting at least.

Iron Legion is being held up by development, not contract issues. It also doesn’t need an alive Iron Man to be popular if the ride is great.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Agreed with most of this. I don’t think UO _has_ to get rid of Marvel, but this would be a strategic time to do it (as Marvel is huge at the box office). Likewise, Comcast doesn’t need Disney’s money exactly, but you have to wonder what the terms/cost to them would be.

I’m also not arguing that Spider-Man isn’t a great ride, but the other three could get by with just cosmetic changes. Spidey is a classic and probably my favorite Universal ride, but Universal has closed a lot of great rides before their time (BTTF, Jaws, Dragon Challenge, etc). It wouldn’t surprise me, is all I’m suggesting. To each his (or her) own on that.

As far as the Iron Legion, or any other ride, there’s not much more than rumors to go off of. Something is holding that up...

And as far as “win-win,” Disney building Marvel rides and Universal doing an island replacement (or just Spider-Man, really) could be huge. Two creative teams, trying to out-do each other, both taking advantage of this particular situation? That sounds like a win to me. I don’t know, I think it’s interesting at least.

Interesting? Sure. Needed? No. Again, Disney has done nothing with Marvel so far except re-skins.

As far as why no new attractions at MSHI? Because they have countless projects including a whole new resort to play with (which also means they don’t need the space)

Best case I see happening, Universal lets Disney use some things (like Black Panther and the Marvel name). That alone is enough for a hefty asking price.