Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

That Darn Marvel Contract – What Rights Does Universal and Disney Own

Since Disney owns Marvel Entertainment as a whole, Universal cannot build any future Marvel attractions outside of IOA. Pre-2009 Marvel contract stipulated that Universal holds the rights of specific Marvel characters for attractions East of the Mississippi as well as the Marvel name in both West and East of the Mississippi, as Universal never owned Marvel itself. Disney came in and sweep up Marvel, so Universal simply doesn't have the right to build new Marvel attractions outside of IOA.

Okay so Universal will have to work with what they currently have but it's still of immense value to them. Disney owning Marvel does not legally give them authority to break the contract Marvel and Universal wrote up, lucky for Universal and Marvel fans.

If Disney finds that Universal is practicing the Marvel contract in bad faith, with additions that negatively depict characters; I thought that'd be when Disney would try to take it to court, no?

I think it's nearly impossible to make that argument though considering the upgrades they've made in recent years.

Okay so Universal will have to work with what they currently have but it's still of immense value to them. Disney owning Marvel does not legally give them authority to break the contract Marvel and Universal wrote up, lucky for Universal and Marvel fans.

I think it's nearly impossible to make that argument though considering the upgrades they've made in recent years.
Oh I don't know... You guys remember a year or two ago when one of those fantastic four flags was in tatters.

And then they replaced it shortly after?
They did replace it so certainly credit to them for maintaining the area, but they only did it after basically being called out by bioreconstruct on twitter. A flag doesn't get as torn up as that one was overnight is all i'm saying.

Coming back to this, now seeing just how successful Shang-Chi is for the MCU; excluding any potential use of The Mandarin, could Disney be able to use Shang-Chi and Katy for the parks? I feel like this should be something to consider for Orlando, but if the characters are already in place; then I think that settles that.

This is probably the trickiest since Guardians. My general rule of thumb has been pay attention to the Meet & Greets at WDW but with all the cutz lately… that’s probably not a good measure right now.

What I do know is that the 10 Rings are out, and if Shang Chi is now in possession of that - it may be reason enough for a restriction.

Might as well ask since we're on the topic of where characters stand. Do we know where The Eternals stand in all of this?

Which universe does Shang-Chi belong to? Avengers?

The original 1972 Master of Kung Fu or whatever should be free and clear. However (movie spoilers I guess so I'll tag it)
in the film, they ret-conned the character into being The Mandarin's son. As the Mandarin is an Iron Man/ Avengers villain, technically movie Shang-Chi would be in his "family" ... and therefore the Avengers' "family."

Whether post-contract ret-cons count is something I doubt has come up before. This would no doubt go to arbitration if both companies felt strongly about it. Because, to be blunt, I'm certain neither party considered this possibility when the contract was drafted.

Might as well ask since we're on the topic of where characters stand. Do we know where The Eternals stand in all of this?

I remember very little about them, but think mostly they would be free and clear. I could be totally wrong about that, defer to any better informed Marvel zombies on here. That said, various incarnations of Black Knight (who I believe Jon Snow is playing) did do a fair amount of time as an Avenger, so he might be problematic.

ETA: skimmed the wiki, Eternals crossed over with the Avengers (particularly Thor) but started as their own New Gods-ripoff book and was originally not a part of the Marvel Universe, should be ok. Except Kit Harrington's character, who actually began as an Avenger villain and became an Avenger in the comics. He's not an Eternal, fwiw.

Last edited:
I definitely think it will, going to be interesting to see how the ride is advertised in Orlando, Savannah GA, and ATL.
I think we’ll see something that will say something like “Rock The Galaxy on EPCOT’s new coaster!”

Then I could see some imagery like cassettes, headphones, galactic imagery, and probably the coaster ride vehicle with some extras riding the ride.

I’m confused. We’re already seeing commercials locally, with full Guardians logo and several of the characters.