The Condition of the Yeti AA | Page 26 | Inside Universal Forums

The Condition of the Yeti AA

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If what I have heard is correct (and please someone who knows more put me in my place), the problem with the yeti is actually the foundation itself. If he were to begin moving again it would further compromise it and possibly cause a collapse. If they did try to do maintenance on the foundation itself, they would definitely have to rip out a good section of the building and rebuild it.

Correct. They literally have to remove the entire Yeti AA and rebuild its foundation. The engineers thought it would be smart for the Yeti to have its own foundation instead of tying it in with the foundation of the rest of the building. The AA caused SO MUCH torque that it cracked and has been unable to reanimate..hence...Disco Yeti :thumbs:

I really think the fuss about the broken Yeti is unwarranted. Yes, its a huge engineering failure to build such a monumental landmark of technology only to let it sit unused because of a foundation oversight...that was dumb. But it really doesnt affect the ride experience as much as most people like to think. Maybe its been so long since the thing has been working that everyone has built up in their minds what the Yeti was supposed to do when, in reality, it wasnt all that much better than whats there now. When it worked, the tunnel was still dark, you were still moving past it at a relatively high speed, and the motion of the train made the relative motion of the Yeti less apparent. What we have now is more or less the same thing...so he doesnt move his arm toward us...when its dark and we're passing it for no longer than a second does it really matter that much? We still see the thing and the strobe light is a good way to show it. Heck, I thought it was moving well after it had been shut off. Yeah, its a pretty embarrassing situation for the guys who worked on this ride, but its not the end of the world, and I think many years of not having the Yeti work has warped everyones perceptions of how necessary it actually was.

I really think the fuss about the broken Yeti is unwarranted. Yes, its a huge engineering failure to build such a monumental landmark of technology only to let it sit unused because of a foundation oversight...that was dumb. But it really doesnt affect the ride experience as much as most people like to think. Maybe its been so long since the thing has been working that everyone has built up in their minds what the Yeti was supposed to do when, in reality, it wasnt all that much better than whats there now. When it worked, the tunnel was still dark, you were still moving past it at a relatively high speed, and the motion of the train made the relative motion of the Yeti less apparent. What we have now is more or less the same thing...so he doesnt move his arm toward us...when its dark and we're passing it for no longer than a second does it really matter that much? We still see the thing and the strobe light is a good way to show it. Heck, I thought it was moving well after it had been shut off. Yeah, its a pretty embarrassing situation for the guys who worked on this ride, but its not the end of the world, and I think many years of not having the Yeti work has warped everyones perceptions of how necessary it actually was.
It's only really disappointing to theme park fans alone. I took my grandmother on it and she didn't notice a thing, she even said "that yeti was cool". I remember it being awesome when it was working but since I'm not a AK regular it really isn't that big of a deal to me. Just sucks that such a cool piece of technology is just rotting

I was able to ride Everest last week and because you are moving so fast through the tunnel, I personally don't think its that big a of deal. I think the bigger problem is even if the Yeti was swinging at you, the car is moving so fast that you barely even see it. Fun ride regardless though.

It's one extra step towards making the ride great...right now it is just good...plus the ride and queue build up to the encounter with the Yeti...it is the climax of the ride...and it dosen't move..it's not a big issue but it is what gives the ride the extra umph to be great..

The cloud effect was specifically shut off because it was messing up the ride's sensors. Everest was really meant to blow people's minds with the brilliant effects, but now it's just a good old roller coaster.

Anyone else find it odd that in one thread people are screaming for DC to be removed but in this one saying disco yeti is fine.

Anyone else find it odd that in one thread people are screaming for DC to be removed but in this one saying disco yeti is fine.

Well, I guess this is a passive aggressive reference to me considering Im the only one who seems to be defending Everst on here...I really just dont think the effect is that big a deal. Also, Im not one of the people calling for Dragon Challenge's removal. I think its a fun roller coaster that has a place among IOA's lineup. I think thats a pretty consistent spectrum of opinions :lol:

Well, I guess this is a passive aggressive reference to me considering Im the only one who seems to be defending Everst on here...I really just dont think the effect is that big a deal. Also, Im not one of the people calling for Dragon Challenge's removal. I think its a fun roller coaster that has a place among IOA's lineup. I think thats a pretty consistent spectrum of opinions :lol:

Sorry Tyler, I really didn't mean for it to be seen as passive aggressive to you or anyone and was just about to delete it after I realized it could be construed that way. It was more just me thinking out loud how big of a difference in opinions there are.

I personally feel that the dueling aspect of dragons being lost is saddening but not a huge deal especially with the re-branding; nothing that I would deem as removal material. They are still excellent coasters each in there own merit, and I think they fill a nice gap of being less extreme than Hulk or Rock It.

At the same time, I think that the loss of the yeti is pretty major only because of the amount of buildup in the queue for it and the hype that always surrounds marketing of the ride. I'm far more let down by the amount of track and behind the scenes stuff you can see in the backwards section. They just need to stop hyping the yeti AA so much. This too is an excellent coaster and I would say ranks second in my book of Disney coasters only to Thunder Mountain.

Sorry Tyler, I really didn't mean for it to be seen as passive aggressive to you or anyone and was just about to delete it after I realized it could be construed that way. It was more just me thinking out loud how big of a difference in opinions there are.

I personally feel that the dueling aspect of dragons being lost is saddening but not a huge deal especially with the re-branding; nothing that I would deem as removal material. They are still excellent coasters each in there own merit, and I think they fill a nice gap of being less extreme than Hulk or Rock It.

At the same time, I think that the loss of the yeti is pretty major only because of the amount of buildup in the queue for it and the hype that always surrounds marketing of the ride. I'm far more let down by the amount of track and behind the scenes stuff you can see in the backwards section. They just need to stop hyping the yeti AA so much. This too is an excellent coaster and I would say ranks second in my book of Disney coasters only to Thunder Mountain.

I completely agree about Dragon Challenge, and it's far and away my favorite roller coaster in Orlando. Where I disagree is the Yeti…yeah, it blows that it doesn't move anymore, but at the same time it's still pretty visible and the effect wasn't all that noticeable when it did work anyway. That's all I'm saying :thumbs:

I don't like that the only thing people mention about Everest is the Yeti when it is the one of the best looking coasters on property, one of the most fun to ride, and one of the best queues. Small amounts of switchbacks, no show building, and a fast coaster.

I personally think that disco yeti isn't a huge deal, it's hard to notice. But it is still a major failure on the Imagineers IMO. How could they not have thought of creating some sort of way to get in and fix the AA? Did they think it would last forever or something?

Everest is a really good attraction but the flack it got was representative of a new Disney that let effects go by the wayside just after opening, including the steam on the trains, the fog effect, the bird on a stick, and of course the Yeti. For a company that's usually all about the details and the show, it was interesting to see one of their latest and greatest in B-mode for the majority of it's existence.

What's more disconcerting to me is some cleanliness issues I saw on my most recent post but I guess that's another thread that I don't necessarily want to start.

Last edited:
Reactions: tankart150
I always thought that the yeti was massively over engineered to start with. For the 1.5 seconds you see it they could have gone with a less "impressive", more reliable AA. Imagineering built the world's most expensive paper weight. And to be quite honest, I don't care if they fix the yeti. I would like to see a massive refurb reworking/replacing some of the effects. I know the steam on the trains (which isn't actually on the trains) and the fog in the tunnels were messing with the sensors. Maybe they could use a dry smoke effect in the tunnel. I would also love to see some set pieces/theming in the grasslands before the first hill. Like a climbing expedition base camp with the tents all torn up, staff smashed, etc.

The original yeti looked like it was really grabbing toward you. So much that you felt like you needed to duck. The room wasn't super dark and you could see him pretty well despite the brevity. The new disco yeti just looks like an expensive fun house trick. Sure you could say that "it's not a big deal" because it still looks impressive, but it's definitly not the same experience it once was

I know this is going to drive people crazy, but.....what exactly is Disco Yeti? I've never rode the ride. If I am understanding correctly, the animatronic is still there but it just doesn't move? Or the animatronic was removed completely?

I know this is going to drive people crazy, but.....what exactly is Disco Yeti? I've never rode the ride. If I am understanding correctly, the animatronic is still there but it just doesn't move? Or the animatronic was removed completely?

It's a B mode for the yeti animatronic that's been going on longer than than ride has been opened. Basically the yeti is now a static figure in his dark room with a strobe light to give the impression that it's moving. The disco yeti nickname was created by the fans because of it

It's a B mode for the yeti animatronic that's been going on longer than than ride has been opened. Basically the yeti is now a static figure in his dark room with a strobe light to give the impression that it's moving. The disco yeti nickname was created by the fans because of it

And strobe light is optional.

The original yeti looked like it was really grabbing toward you. So much that you felt like you needed to duck. The room wasn't super dark and you could see him pretty well despite the brevity. The new disco yeti just looks like an expensive fun house trick. Sure you could say that "it's not a big deal" because it still looks impressive, but it's definitely not the same experience it once was
Agree completely..the original Yeti looked..well..like a Yeti. For a moment you believed something was grabbing at you and you ducked..B-Mode Yeti looks like an over sized stuffed animal with strobes..it just takes away the hyper-real aesthetic they were going for with Everest..