Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Condition of the Yeti AA

Old topic, sorry but I'm a newbie to the forum and I'm catching up on all the threads! This made me recall the newly installed Yeti at DL Matterhorn. It's pretty impressive, and I started thinking if the possibility of adding another AA to Everest to satisfy all the Disco Yeti haters.

I understand repairing the current AA is on the docket for the next 3-4 years, or at least until Avatar can draw away the crowds. Without EE, AK really doesn't have much to offer. I suppose another Yeti AA would kill the suspense of the current one? I was thinking it could replace the animated screen portion of the ride..it's a simple fix, that would probably be more cost/time effective. Thoughts?

The original yeti looked like it was really grabbing toward you. So much that you felt like you needed to duck. The room wasn't super dark and you could see him pretty well despite the brevity. The new disco yeti just looks like an expensive fun house trick. Sure you could say that "it's not a big deal" because it still looks impressive, but it's definitly not the same experience it once was

Yeah I rode it the year it opened and its a huge difference when it works. I sat in the front row and I swear i had to duck because it really did look like he was going to swipe your head off. His arms are huge! Also the thing I noticed was the motion was very impressive and smooth.

Such a shame, only once did i see it in all it's glory. The fact they they put a new (albeit lame) light package on it speaks for itself in terms that they want it working better than it does. Will I ever see it working to full potential again? I doubt it.

Such a shame, only once did i see it in all it's glory. The fact they they put a new (albeit lame) light package on it speaks for itself in terms that they want it working better than it does. Will I ever see it working to full potential again? I doubt it.

I think our best hope is a year or two after Avatar, because they will have more ride capacity in the park, but the major initial crowds will have died down enough that they can afford a long down time. That is really the issue, it requires a very lengthy down time and that park is void of rides making it hard to fix.

FWIW, there are those that say this isn't really the case, and it could be a quick turn around. I honestly don't know if that's the case, but it may not require as long of a time as you'd think.

Yeah, conflicting info on this so guess we don't really know. The cracked base seems legit and I'm sure @Marni1971 has said as much and i'd stake a claim that if anyone in the community knows the real reason it would be him. Martin?

FWIW, there are those that say this isn't really the case, and it could be a quick turn around. I honestly don't know if that's the case, but it may not require as long of a time as you'd think.

I am only getting info from a friend who is good friends with an exec at Disney. She was a nurse for my son and she was talking about how she had dinner with her exec friend the prior day and how she was headed to California for some meeting to try and figure out what it would take to fix it. It sounded pretty involved because it is the actually the base not be strong enough vs. the Yeti actually being broken. I guess they had a pretty decent discussion about it because my Nurse friend's husband at the time worked for Disney as a manager in maintenance. So they were talking shop and he understood things more I guess. My nurse friend however did not understand all that much other than the high level "hard to fix" and "not sure how to fix it" type things. This was probably 3 years ago.

I am only getting info from a friend who is good friends with an exec at Disney. She was a nurse for my son and she was talking about how she had dinner with her exec friend the prior day and how she was headed to California for some meeting to try and figure out what it would take to fix it. It sounded pretty involved because it is the actually the base not be strong enough vs. the Yeti actually being broken. I guess they had a pretty decent discussion about it because my Nurse friend's husband at the time worked for Disney as a manager in maintenance. So they were talking shop and he understood things more I guess. My nurse friend however did not understand all that much other than the high level "hard to fix" and "not sure how to fix it" type things. This was probably 3 years ago.

Yea, I'm aware of the issue, but that, to me, could possibly be an easy fix. They went on and on about how the Yeti was "as powerful as a 747" before the ride opened. I'd start by making an AA that didn't output as much force as a jet plane.:lol:

Granted, that's going on having absolutely 0 numbers in front of me.

Yea, I'm aware of the issue, but that, to me, could possibly be an easy fix. They went on and on about how the Yeti was "as powerful as a 747" before the ride opened. I'd start by making an AA that didn't output as much force as a jet plane.:lol:

Granted, that's going on having absolutely 0 numbers in front of me.

That is the thing, you are guessing. Where insiders have stated in the past it is not a simple fix. You can't just look at it as an outsider and say, that is an "easy" fix, when like you said you don't have all the information in front of you. I would prefer to listen to insiders who seem to have more knowledge on this issue.

That is the thing, you are guessing. Where insiders have stated in the past it is not a simple fix. You can't just look at it as an outsider and say, that is an "easy" fix, when like you said you don't have all the information in front of you. I would prefer to listen to insiders who seem to have more knowledge on this issue.

"Easy" is relative. I'm not saying it'd be overnight. But the certainly don't need an AA with the power of a passenger jet.

All I know is @Marni1971 has said in the past that it's not as difficult as the fan community thinks

I never knew there was a huge yeti animatronic. I rode this for my first time, last year in April. I just read up about the whole disco yeti thing. I did find this gif online though, I think this was it, when it was working. It looks absolutely amazing.

8.gif