The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, I’m just saying Universal really does not have a problem with attractions taking up a large area. A one-for-one swap of Jaws for F&F is no net change in attractions anyways.

IMO, you can't do a 1-for-1 swap. Jaws worked because you felt you were actually stalked by the 25-foot shark in an (already consolidated) open water setting - which is why the original took up so much space. I think this is where the nostalgia blinds the reality for a bit. It needs to be a Jungle Cruise-style attraction. Not POTC.

That might be because so much money was spent on overhauling the infrastructure and working on the show-building that they had to go cheap on the ride itself. If another attraction was placed here, the impressive show building still stands, and this time all money would be spent on the attraction itself that would go inside. The only issue I could think of would be water. This building was made for a dry attraction. How much would it cost to retrofit it so that it could hold water? As for the footprint, not much would need to be done. Just create a revised layout that can fit in the gutted show building. Reskin San Francisco to a revised version of Amity. You can keep the buildings facing the lagoon with some New England-inspired names replacing the California references. They’d only need to change the more city-esque facades, and even then that’s just simple facade-work. Swap one wall for another. To fit with the buildings being larger than the old ones in the OG Amity they could change to name from “Amity village” to “Amity Warf” or something like that

I don't think y'all realize how big the original was... :lol:

I think it’s more likely we get a rollercoaster in that show building than attempting to make it watertight. Even that I’m not 100% sure of. Someone who understands math/comparisons better can assess if it’s feasible to squeeze in a coaster.

I was actually dreaming of something like Pirates Shanghai, but with Jaws

A large storm would be approaching Amity Island and Captain Jake would be trying to squeeze in as many tours that day before the storm hit

Naturally the storm would hit while we were on the tour

We'd make our way through inlets, different boat houses, and out into the open water and into a capsized dinner theater boat

All the while in the middle of the storm with JAWS stalking us the entire time

I've also thought of it as a terrifying version of living with the land lol

I was actually dreaming of something like Pirates Shanghai, but with Jaws

A large storm would be approaching Amity Island and Captain Jake would be trying to squeeze in as many tours that day before the storm hit

Naturally the storm would hit while we were on the tour

We'd make our way through inlets, different boat houses, and out into the open water and into a capsized dinner theater boat

All the while in the middle of the storm with JAWS stalking us the entire time

I've also thought of it as a terrifying version of living with the land lol
That would be great! A fake storm would even let them squeeze more of a thrill out of it because they could simulate stormy seas with some intense rocking. A dark and stormy environment would also save space, as darkness would allow universal to get away with shallower backdrops for each scene. The pirates-type screens would also help with this. People keep saying that jaws could never fit in this building, and they’re right. The OG attraction definitely couldn’t, but a revised layout that looks to save space easily could. Dark scenes don’t need as much space to appear realistic. This new environment could be just as grand while saving space. The ride space could also be extended into some of the current queue if new queue space is put in the gap between the current building and the Ghirardelli facade.

I don’t see a coaster going here. It’s right next to mummy and would be a similar indoor coaster attraction. On the other side it’s also right next to gringotts which is still technically an indoor coaster. I don’t see them putting three indoor coasters all right next to each other. I’d say we’re more likely to see a coaster between MIB and Springfield or somewhere around Kidzone.

That would be great! A fake storm would even let them squeeze more of a thrill out of it because they could simulate stormy seas with some intense rocking. A dark and stormy environment would also save space, as darkness would allow universal to get away with shallower backdrops for each scene. The pirates-type screens would also help with this. People keep saying that jaws could never fit in this building, and they’re right. The OG attraction definitely couldn’t, but a revised layout that looks to save space easily could. Dark scenes don’t need as much space to appear realistic. This new environment could be just as grand while saving space. The ride space could also be extended into some of the current queue if new queue space is put in the gap between the current building and the Ghirardelli facade.

I don’t see a coaster going here. It’s right next to mummy and would be a similar indoor coaster attraction. On the other side it’s also right next to gringotts which is still technically an indoor coaster. I don’t see them putting three indoor coasters all right next to each other. I’d say we’re more likely to see a coaster between MIB and Springfield or somewhere around Kidzone.

Just so I can gauge. @ReesetheBeast0616 in your opinion, how likely is it that Universal guts FF and puts a Jaws boat ride in that show building?

Precisely my dream scenario

However, there is also a part of me that sees a JAWS scene in a larger Universal Great Movie Ride

Just so I can gauge. @ReesetheBeast0616 in your opinion, how likely is it that Universal guts FF and puts a Jaws boat ride in that show building?
F&F is the weakest attraction in the entire resort. Guests satisfaction ratings have proven this time and time again. The Universal social media team had even begun treating the attraction like a meme or ignoring it completely. They know something needs to be done and it is likely something will. At the same time, Universal is realizing the issues with their current ‘newer is better’ model in USF. They’re realizing that quality sells as is evident by IOA. IOA doesn’t care about the newest or shiniest IPs, but the ones that they know the people want to see.

After seeing this work at IOA, Universal is likely to change the direction of USF to fit this. This is evident by the monsters getting a full land at epic. These films are extremely old, many of them having come out in the 30s. Nevertheless they are still popular, not only because of the films, but because of universal interest. Somebody could have never watched a single movie and would still know who Frankenstein is. IPs that are able to sell this universal interest are becoming more and more appealing to universal, as well as legacy IPs. This is evident with the legacy store. Universal has begun to embrace its past and realize that the people still have interest in these classic, time-tested properties.

This is essentially the perfect storm. What’s something that’s of universal interest? Shark attacks. What’s a classic IP that has extremely high demand? Jaws. What’s an attraction that could replace the worst ride in the park with something bound to be universally liked while also providing a water ride? Captain Jake’s Amity Boat Tours V2. It sounds crazy, but nothing’s impossible. I might even dare say that it’s likely at this point. There were people who said that NWH could never happen and that bringing back old villains could never work. The fans still wanted it and pushed, and low and behold it became one of the most popular movies of all time. If demand is there, nothing is impossible.

F&F is the weakest attraction in the entire resort. Guests satisfaction ratings have proven this time and time again. The Universal social media team had even begun treating the attraction like a meme or ignoring it completely. They know something needs to be done and it is likely something will. At the same time, Universal is realizing the issues with their current ‘newer is better’ model in USF. They’re realizing that quality sells as is evident by IOA. IOA doesn’t care about the newest or shiniest IPs, but the ones that they know the people want to see.

After seeing this work at IOA, Universal is likely to change the direction of USF to fit this. This is evident by the monsters getting a full land at epic. These films are extremely old, many of them having come out in the 30s. Nevertheless they are still popular, not only because of the films, but because of universal interest. Somebody could have never watched a single movie and would still know who Frankenstein is. IPs that are able to sell this universal interest are becoming more and more appealing to universal, as well as legacy IPs. This is evident with the legacy store. Universal has begun to embrace its past and realize that the people still have interest in these classic, time-tested properties.

This is essentially the perfect storm. What’s something that’s of universal interest? Shark attacks. What’s a classic IP that has extremely high demand? Jaws. What’s an attraction that could replace the worst ride in the park with something bound to be universally liked while also providing a water ride? Captain Jake’s Amity Boat Tours V2. It sounds crazy, but nothing’s impossible. I might even dare say that it’s likely at this point. There were people who said that NWH could never happen and that bringing back old villains could never work. The fans still wanted it and pushed, and low and behold it became one of the most popular movies of all time. If demand is there, nothing is impossible.
Not to be a boob, but technically IOA's latest coaster is based on a newer and shinier IP

There's more a trend of monolithic tentpole franchises that tend to get attractions now

If JAWS were to get some cinematic universe reboot and be wildly successful, then and only then, would I consider JAWS returning

However, I do notice your point about Universal acknowledging their past and film legacy

Does that lead to anything more than pop up shops? I would wager, no

Not to be a boob, but technically IOA's latest coaster is based on a newer and shinier IP

There's more a trend of monolithic tentpole franchises that tend to get attractions now

If JAWS were to get some cinematic universe reboot and be wildly successful, then and only then, would I consider JAWS returning

However, I do notice your point about Universal acknowledging their past and film legacy

Does that lead to anything more than pop up shops? I would wager, no
Son of Jaws?

I get all this, but this property, this location, and the logistics behind making it all happen seem more like wish fulfillment than having any chance of actually occurring. I also know this is basically a blue sky thread at this point. So if you’re just passionate/arm chair designing - ignore me. But if you really believe it’s so obvious and will happen, I just don’t want you to be disappointed.

It already happened ... "Meg 2: The Trench is scheduled to be released in the United States on August 4, 2023".

Universal needs their own version of the Great Movie Ride to consolidate all of the IPs that are still beloved but don't justify a large new attraction.

Replace Great with Epic since that's their favorite word to use... Universal's Epic Movie Ride.

I would love if this was at the front of the park, preferably replacing DM and whatever other space they can figure out.

Reactions: belloq87
Pre-Kong, I dreamed up a land in Studios that would take up space from FFL to the expansion pad besides MIB

I would be called Universal Land of Legends

It would have a seen the indoor JAWS ride I mentioned before replace MIB, a Kong Intamin rapids ride (think Infinity Falls with terrifying AAs, and a Godzilla launch coaster

It would be cool....only....HHN would suffer greatly lol

It already happened ... "Meg 2: The Trench is scheduled to be released in the United States on August 4, 2023".
It's got a shark it's basically JAWS

Status
Not open for further replies.