The Eighth Voyage of Sindbad Closing | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

The Eighth Voyage of Sindbad Closing

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
And then Mr. Cameron did it again with Flight of Passage. Guy has a real knack for 3D attractions.

Before anyone doubts, yes, he was likely very involved with the developement of both attractions. It would fit with how much of a perfectionist he is.

Dude, no he wasn't lol

I don't think FoP is all that ground breaking as much as excellent execution of the concept. It is definitely a step forward from Soarin', but that fact alone makes it evolutionary not revolutionary.
Very evolutionary but that still makes it top notch work for other attractions to aspire to.
Dude, no he wasn't lol
You know this for a fact that he wasn’t involved? We’re talking about a guy that’s obsessed with 3D technology and you’re saying he wouldn’t be involved in 3D attractions based on his movies?

Reactions: Andysol
Very evolutionary but that still makes it top notch work for other attractions to aspire to.

You know this for a fact that he wasn’t involved? We’re talking about a guy that’s obsessed with 3D technology and you’re saying he wouldn’t be involved in 3D attractions based on his movies?

The development was handled by Landmark Entertainment and Gary Goddard (obligatory "he's not a good person" mention).

Read up on how the whole thing was pitched to Cameron.

T2 3D: Battle Across Time - The Story Behind the Theme Park Extravaganza at Universal Studios

Reactions: Quint
Not even in the link for a minute, and I see James Cameron was involved as director. I’m sure that counts as “very involved” with the attraction ;)

So you didn't read anything? You didn't see the years of development prior to filming done by Landmark, or how they directed all the in park stuff? Cameron filmed the video, yes, but the concept and more was a much larger effort. Same for Flight of Passage. It's like saying JK Rowling was the creator of Forbidden Journey or Escape from Gringotts.

So you didn't read anything? You didn't see the years of development prior to filming done by Landmark, or how they directed all the in park stuff? Cameron filmed the video, yes, but the concept and more was a much larger effort. Same for Flight of Passage. It's like saying JK Rowling was the creator of Forbidden Journey or Escape from Gringotts.
Except I never said he was creator, just that he was very involved. I didn’t need to read further as my point was proven.

It's like saying JK Rowling was the creator of Forbidden Journey or Escape from Gringotts.

I think that's a little bit of an incorrect comparison. Cameron directed a fairly large-scale film shoot with a big crew of effects people and technicians. It's not like everyone just turned up on a bluescreen soundstage for an afternoon, which seems to have been about the extent of the Potter footage.

That doesn't mean T2-3D was more his than Landmark's, but his contributions to the attraction were major.

Reactions: therock and Mike S
Cameron directed the live action segment in the middle. Most everything set in the future that was exterior or in the garage ruins.

I don’t believe he shot anything green screen, third act stuff with the T-1 million. And Stan Winston directed a lot of the special effects shots in the middle too, if I’m remembering correctly (second unit stuff).

But it was great that Cameron wanted to be involved at all. He didn’t come up with any of the 3D gimmicks or the three screens concept, mix of live actors, robots, lighting and fog integration, etc. that was all Goddard Group and company.