Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

I'll say this... any other year the HTTYD films would have won Oscar for Best Animated Feature. They just happened to come out the years they were competing with Up and Wall-E. Those are probably the only two Pixar films, I think, could justifiably beat them in terms of quality and emotional storytelling.

2 actually went up and lost to BIG HERO 6 of all things. It totally got robbed that year

2 actually went up and lost to BIG HERO 6 of all things. It totally got robbed that year
And... now I remember how livid I was at that. Thanks for reminding me.

The more I think about this, Berk would actually equivocate pretty well with Avatar (of all IPs). Independently, it has little relevance to the zeitgeist. BUT, the aesthetic and concepts of the world are kind of tailor-made for a theme park (Dragon more so because it's animated with kid-friendly appeal).

Hot damn. Even if Berk doesn't take over Lost Continent specifically, the fact that Creative is looking at HTTYD for anything made my month. At the very least, it should be a shoe-in for Site B.

The more I think about this, Berk would actually equivocate pretty well with Avatar (of all IPs). Independently, it has little relevance to the zeitgeist. BUT, the aesthetic and concepts of the world are kind of tailor-made for a theme park (Dragon more so because it's animated with kid-friendly appeal).

Hot damn. Even if Berk doesn't take over Lost Continent specifically, the fact that Creative is looking at HTTYD for anything made my month. At the very least, it should be a shoe-in for Site B.

I actually think Dragons has some relevance to the younger set, something Uni lacks relatively. There's a new season of the cartoon on Netflix every year, so I have to assume it's getting watched

Yup. Typical Disney-Oscar bias. The academy can't be bothered to watch all the animated films so they simply give it to a Disney flick.
Way worse than HTTYD was the travesty of Zootopia besting Kubo. That alone made me check out on the awards this year. Not that Zootopia is bad but when you have a world full of critics and an audience clammoring for something completely original and well done for once- and we get it in Kubo- then it doesn't win or get the ticket sales.
CSI and the voice get the ratings for a reason. People clamor for originality and brilliance yet deep down they're drones who want to turn off their brains during media entertainment.

The more I think about this, Berk would actually equivocate pretty well with Avatar (of all IPs).
This actually has me a little nervous because of this comparison specifically. Pandora is a pretty incredible land. A several hundred million dollar area with 200ft mountains and a solid E ticket is going to be a tough ask for HTTYD to beat. They're going to have to go more "Renaissance" and towns folky than epic and scenic mountains if they're going to avoid the likely inferior comparison. The budget simply won't allow it to top Pandora on that type of scale- even though they have the waterfront that Pandora lacks.

Yup. Typical Disney-Oscar bias. The academy can't be bothered to watch all the animated films so they simply give it to a Disney flick.
Way worse than HTTYD was the travesty of Zootopia besting Kubo. That alone made me check out on the awards this year. Not that Zootopia is bad but when you have a world full of critics and an audience clammoring for something completely original and well done for once- and we get it in Kubo- then it doesn't win or get the ticket sales.
CSI and the voice get the ratings for a reason. People clamor for originality and brilliance yet deep down they're drones who want to turn off their brains during media entertainment.

This actually has me a little nervous because of this comparison specifically. Pandora is a pretty incredible land. A several hundred million dollar area with 200ft mountains and a solid E ticket is going to be a tough ask for HTTYD to beat. They're going to have to go more "Renaissance" and towns folky than epic and scenic mountains if they're going to avoid the likely inferior comparison. The budget simply won't allow it to top Pandora on that type of scale- even though they have the waterfront that Pandora lacks.

idk.. I couldn't finish HTTYD but I was Big Hero 6 every few months, that movie was incredible. I completely agree about Kubo vs Zootopia though.

Personally I don't think they should even worry about Pandora when building this. Two different beasts entirely

Personally I don't think they should even worry about Pandora when building this. Two different beasts entirely
Yeah. I'm not talking specifically on the aesthetic comparison of the two IPs (though Universal better build the spire mountain to a similar height as Krakatoa (if not taller). I'm talking more about the overall ability to use an IP that may not immediately "grab."

The HTTYD movies are Dreamworks' best, without a doubt. I would love to see this come to fruition. The IP still feels ancient like Lost Continent but swaps out mythology for folklore. And the dragons live on! Great opportunities for rides, shows, food, and land aesthetic. And I know Kong has already ruined the concept of the islands being based on literature, but it does make me happy that HTTYD is based on a book series. Consider me very much on board!

I would actually love a "duel track" dragon coaster that keeps the spirit of Dueling Dragons alive. One tracking being Toothless and the other being Stormfly (Astrid's dragon).

I'd argue that Shrek was Dreamwork's best- without a doubt.

Although I, like you, enjoy HTTYD the most.

Very fair. HTTYD's only competition is Shrek, imo, and there's no doubt that became a cultural phenomenon. It's certainly a more profitable IP, and a great movie, to boot.

Wondering out loud, I wonder if HTTYD will have more staying power. Shrek was culturally pervasive; you saw him on everything from bedding sets to ketchup bottles. And thanks to meme culture and way too many sequels, he's still somewhat relevant. But HTTYD is taking great care with their movies. While Shrek 2 and on were unnecessary and often times irritating, HTTYD 2 was just as good as the first, and the fact that the 3rd movie is still 1-2 years away makes me think they're taking the time to make it matter. And if this land does get greenlit, having a well-rounded and exciting theme park land of vikings and dragons can only help keep it relevant. If Dreamworks (and hopefully universal) keep it up, I really think this franchise can last (without becoming a joke. sorry shrek.)

I'm really curious how a complete overhaul of this land would work in terms of walking paths. Hogsmeade has the bypass and Kong was just on one side of the path, so there's no precedent for this situation. I guess that means a central path would stay through construction?

Very fair. HTTYD's only competition is Shrek, imo, and there's no doubt that became a cultural phenomenon. It's certainly a more profitable IP, and a great movie, to boot.

Wondering out loud, I wonder if HTTYD will have more staying power. Shrek was culturally pervasive; you saw him on everything from bedding sets to ketchup bottles. And thanks to meme culture and way too many sequels, he's still somewhat relevant. But HTTYD is taking great care with their movies. While Shrek 2 and on were unnecessary and often times irritating, HTTYD 2 was just as good as the first, and the fact that the 3rd movie is still 1-2 years away makes me think they're taking the time to make it matter. And if this land does get greenlit, having a well-rounded and exciting theme park land of vikings and dragons can only help keep it relevant. If Dreamworks (and hopefully universal) keep it up, I really think this franchise can last (without becoming a joke. sorry shrek.)

The second HTTYD did 20% less business domestically than the first. The third is likely to do less than the second. It will likely be the last of the series. The HTTYD movies just didn't click with people like Shrek and the other bigger animated films. Even if they were to, for some reason, build a land, it wouldn't change the overall impact of the series culturally. Theme parks are a mere blip on the radar for that kind of thing.

The second HTTYD did 20% less business domestically than the first. The third is likely to do less than the second. It will likely be the last of the series. The HTTYD movies just didn't click with people like Shrek and the other bigger animated films. Even if they were to, for some reason, build a land, it wouldn't change the overall impact of the series culturally. Theme parks are a mere blip on the radar for that kind of thing.

I would argue that it could be possible of a fourth film. Hell, KFP; which was lower than any of the others has been said before that a sequel to the trilogy could happen, and that I wouldn't see that as an impossibility for Dragons.

Not to mention, this IP; is stupidly easy to have for IOA, as it fits so many requirements.

• Great Environments that would blend extremely well for a land
  • Actually was based off of a book
  • Popular on Netflix, with a third film coming out in 2019
  • Has multiple different opportunities for attractions
  • Merchandise opportunities are endless, especially of doing custom dragons to compete with Pandora - The World of Avatar's Banshee's
  • Has already had a tested arena show that went on tours across the globe (Not to mention Creature Tech having a hand to play in the development of that show)
  • E.T.C.
There is so much they can pull, and that while a part of me wishes that it's saved for Gate 3, this would be the best replacement for Lost Continent.

I would argue that it could be possible of a fourth film. Hell, KFP; which was lower than any of the others has been said before that a sequel to the trilogy could happen, and that I wouldn't see that as an impossibility for Dragons.

Not to mention, this IP; is stupidly easy to have for IOA, as it fits so many requirements.

• Great Environments that would blend extremely well for a land
  • Actually was based off of a book
  • Popular on Netflix, with a third film coming out in 2019
  • Has multiple different opportunities for attractions
  • Merchandise opportunities are endless, especially of doing custom dragons to compete with Pandora - The World of Avatar's Banshee's
  • Has already had a tested arena show that went on tours across the globe (Not to mention Creature Tech having a hand to play in the development of that show)
  • E.T.C.
There is so much they can pull, and that while a part of me wishes that it's saved for Gate 3, this would be the best replacement for Lost Continent.

I think people need to stop trying to figure out what would make a neat theme park land. There's thousands of properties that would make a neat theme park land. There are much bigger factors in what ends up being built than what looks cool. Avatar looks cool, but as has been pointed out, it hasn't moved the needle so to speak on attendance at WDW. And that was a much bigger franchise than HTTYD. Unless HTTYD breaks out and is bigger than the first two(which, it probably won't), I can't see them going any farther with it.

I haven't seen anywhere that KFP 4 is even confirmed. The interview that most everyone quotes as confirmation that they are doing 6 movies comes from 2010 the best I can tell. Before even KFP 2 came out. KFP as a series has steadily declined at the box office. And, even worse, did worse internationally. Considering how much the international market has grown, thats saying something.

I actually think Dragons has some relevance to the younger set, something Uni lacks relatively. There's a new season of the cartoon on Netflix every year, so I have to assume it's getting watched

The Netflix show is my daughter's favorite. She's going to be Astrid for Halloween.

I think people need to stop trying to figure out what would make a neat theme park land. There's thousands of properties that would make a neat theme park land. There are much bigger factors in what ends up being built than what looks cool. Avatar looks cool, but as has been pointed out, it hasn't moved the needle so to speak on attendance at WDW. And that was a much bigger franchise than HTTYD. Unless HTTYD breaks out and is bigger than the first two(which, it probably won't), I can't see them going any farther with it.

I haven't seen anywhere that KFP 4 is even confirmed. The interview that most everyone quotes as confirmation that they are doing 6 movies comes from 2010 the best I can tell. Before even KFP 2 came out. KFP as a series has steadily declined at the box office. And, even worse, did worse internationally. Considering how much the international market has grown, thats saying something.

I would urge to say that you are dealing with two different companies releasing Dragon's for this case in the terms of HTTYD 2 and HTTYD 3.

The Lego Movie 2 will most likely be thinning out as it is released early on in February, and if Universal market's it right; it could be able to withstand the month of march, as it's only competition would be Amusement Park from Paramount, and perhaps Dumbo at the end of the month.

Meanwhile, HTTYD2 was released right before the main summer season began; and that multiple films that were marketed better got the BO more than Dragons 2.

If Universal does marketing on a rather good route; it could withhold the box office more than the previous film.

Yes, and Universal has a very strong International distribution network. Dreamworks, before Universal, had a weak international network. That will make a huge difference in the final box office numbers for future films.