The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 41 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The second HTTYD did 20% less business domestically than the first. The third is likely to do less than the second. It will likely be the last of the series. The HTTYD movies just didn't click with people like Shrek and the other bigger animated films. Even if they were to, for some reason, build a land, it wouldn't change the overall impact of the series culturally. Theme parks are a mere blip on the radar for that kind of thing.
It was designed to end with the 3red film. It will explain why there aren't dragons anymore according the the producers

Reactions: ChristopherSE
Watching the live arena show on youtube....Yeah, it can't come to the park....The moment it does I can see people screaming screens. The first 15 minutes is all screens and live actors reacting to screens except for the dragon reveal for 20 seconds at the start.

So I'm pretty sure the puppet/AA show is something else.

Watching the live arena show on youtube....Yeah, it can't come to the park....The moment it does I can see people screaming screens. The first 15 minutes is all screens and live actors reacting to screens except for the dragon reveal for 20 seconds at the start.

So I'm pretty sure the puppet/AA show is something else.
It would be a different, shorter show using similar tech.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
I'm really curious how a complete overhaul of this land would work in terms of walking paths. Hogsmeade has the bypass and Kong was just on one side of the path, so there's no precedent for this situation. I guess that means a central path would stay through construction?

Good question. I had assumed they would just build a walk around bridge but I don't think that's going to be possible. Lucky, most of the land is up the back away from the through path.

Reactions: Nash
Even if they were to, for some reason, build a land, it wouldn't change the overall impact of the series culturally. Theme parks are a mere blip on the radar for that kind of thing.

Not a huge impact, sure, but I think it could help longevity some if the land is that good. Remember, we live in a post-Potter world now. WWoHP is surprisingly adept at creating Potterheads. My mother refused to get involved with anything Potter until we visited Hogsmeade. Then she went home and read the whole series straight through and watched all the movies. HTTYD obviously won't have that power as much as Potter does, but I think theme park lands are having more and more cultural impact every year.

I think people need to stop trying to figure out what would make a neat theme park land. There's thousands of properties that would make a neat theme park land. There are much bigger factors in what ends up being built than what looks cool. Avatar looks cool, but as has been pointed out, it hasn't moved the needle so to speak on attendance at WDW. And that was a much bigger franchise than HTTYD. Unless HTTYD breaks out and is bigger than the first two(which, it probably won't), I can't see them going any farther with it.

I haven't seen anywhere that KFP 4 is even confirmed. The interview that most everyone quotes as confirmation that they are doing 6 movies comes from 2010 the best I can tell. Before even KFP 2 came out. KFP as a series has steadily declined at the box office. And, even worse, did worse internationally. Considering how much the international market has grown, thats saying something.

I get Avatar made a ton of money, but I wouldn't call it a bigger franchise since no one actually cares about it after it was done. HTTYD has longevity with kids which is what could make it more popular. Not saying it will be, but Avatar had no lasting effect and kids don't care about it at all and say I want to go visit pandora. They might say, I want to meet Toothless.

Reactions: Frank Drackman
I get Avatar made a ton of money, but I wouldn't call it a bigger franchise since no one actually cares about it after it was done. HTTYD has longevity with kids which is what could make it more popular. Not saying it will be, but Avatar had no lasting effect and kids don't care about it at all and say I want to go visit pandora. They might say, I want to meet Toothless.
There is absolutely NO WAY HTTYD would move less merchandise than Pandora.

Can you imaging the apoplectic hissy fit the Disney Snowflakes would throw if there were a place called The Burk Ink and Paint Shoppe.

d4e17e502014b9d440163992f0540e5b--dragon-tattoos-train-your-dragon.jpg

Real ink for the adults (Operated by Hart & Huntington), henna for the teens, and paint for the kids!

Walt would be spinning like a tea cup! :D

I'm talking more about the overall ability to use an IP that may not immediately "grab."
I don't think it would really be a huge necessity for it to function as a huge draw for booking vacation packages, I think the real value of it would be the contribution it'd make in helping Universal Orlando's reputation as a family friendly destination and swinging Islands of Adventure's reputation away from being a roller coaster park. If they follow through on How to Train Your Dragon, Secret Life of Pets, less intense Forbidden Forest and Ministry of Magic attractions, and Nintendo, that'll all go a long way towards helping the general public perceive Universal as theme parks with something for everybody instead of just being a thrill mecca.

Reactions: Andysol and Mad Dog
There is absolutely NO WAY HTTYD would move less merchandise than Pandora.

Can you imaging the apoplectic hissy fit the Disney Snowflakes would throw if there were a place called The Burk Ink and Paint Shoppe.

d4e17e502014b9d440163992f0540e5b--dragon-tattoos-train-your-dragon.jpg

Real ink for the adults (Operated by Hart & Huntington), henna for the teens, and paint for the kids!

Walt would be spinning like a tea cup! :D
"Walt would be spinning like a tea cup" . Today's "Quote of the Day". :thumbsup:....

Reactions: Disneyhead
I want to meet Toothless...

And take him home. And make him my steed.

And I will be Dragon Rider.

You know, I had forgotten how much "wasted space" there is in Lost Continent. There's a lot of winding paths and excess queue that could be opened up. The entirety of Poseidon, especially, could fit Spider-Man and have elbow room (just based on rough square footage estimate). Poseidon takes up about 90k sq ft, including the ruins. Spider-Man is just under 85k and a much better use of space.

Reactions: Porkchop
The LC project was supposed to be after Iron Legion, but the Iron Legion project has proven to be problematic. It's stuck in R&D purgatory. They wanted it and the Potter coaster to open in 2019 before SW:GE. Obviously that's not going to happen. So they fast tracked MoM and started putting together pitches for the LC. HTTYD isn't the only one. It's just the one that seems to be getting the most traction.

The LC project was supposed to be after Iron Legion, but the Iron Legion project has proven to be problematic. It's stuck in R&D purgatory. They wanted it and the Potter coaster to open in 2019 before SW:GE. Obviously that's not going to happen. So they fast tracked MoM and started putting together pitches for the LC. HTTYD isn't the only one. It's just the one that seems to be getting the most traction.

Unless the other one is Zelda, I don't see how HTTYD could be passed up. It's theme park gold

*squee*

Looking at other options.

Hyrule - Definitely can't be ruled out, except I imagine Creative would rather get Mushroom Kingdom up and running before using any of the other available Nintendo franchises.

Middle-Earth - Assuming rights aren't an issue, this would probably work well. Rights are the big question. I also wonder if it addresses the "family-friendly" push Universal seems to be going for.

Middle Kingdom (Kung Fu Panda) - I like the franchise. It has good ride, show, and food potential. The ride potential isn't as broad as HTTYD though, limited to family dark-rides like Cat in the Hat next door. That's not BAD, but it's also not the direction Universal has been pushing. They want more thrills.

DreamWorks - Another catchall island would be too similar to Toon Lagoon.

Illumination Island - See above.

World of Warcraft - Same potential as Middle-Earth, though maybe less accessible and would have to jump through some Blizzard vs Nintendo hoops that Universal probably doesn't want to approach yet.

Spy-Land of Adventure - Another city scape could frame well opposite Marvel. And we could get the Bond ride AND the Jason Bourne stunt show. But we know that's already going into Terminator.

Reactions: SeventyOne
How about "Christmas Island"? Yep, the Mt. Crumpet coaster is back on the table. A Rudolph Trackless Dark Ride with a Kong sized Bumble, a couple of flats, an Island of Misfit Toys playground, and a Frosty stage show.
And all the hot eggnog you can drink in July.

How about "Christmas Island"? Yep, the Mt. Crumpet coaster is back on the table. A Rudolph Trackless Dark Ride with a Kong sized Bumble, a couple of flats, an Island of Misfit Toys playground, and a Frosty stage show.
At first thought, my view was no way Christmas 12 months in the Florida tropics. But, the more I think of it the more I like it.Universal would own the Holiday season, stealing it from Disney. ....But still, only second to Berks/Dragon in my wants. Viking Renaissance type attraction works better for year round, and blends in better with Hogsmeade.