The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 43 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Mythos is great and will be quite a loss.

Poseidon’s Fury is actually one of my favourite theme park attractions, purely because it’s so unique and is such an indulgent exercise in placemaking and storytelling instead of being a formulaic ride experience. I’ll be very sad to see it go.

So... HTTYD is maybe a thing here.

Personally, I could go on about how perfect of a fit HTTYD is for a theme park all day. I feel like a lot of DreamWorks properties, like say, Madgascar, wouldn't fit in a theme park particularly well since they require at least some knowledge of the characters to get much enjoyment out of an attraction. (and in the case of Madagascar, it's pretty much been a dead IP since 2014) But in the case of HTTYD, the draw transcends IP; sure, the movies have made a decent amount of money and a 3rd is still on the way, but even if somebody has never even HEARD of the movies, it still is something that sounds exciting; it's an island full of vikings and dragons, for crying out loud.

And outside of that, the IP is FULL of potential in pretty much every department. The land itself has the potential to be beautiful and rustic, there's SO much they could do with a HTTYD ride, there could be a live show using puppetry and actors, the merchandising potential could give the Pandora banshees a run for their money, and you could even have some fun dining based off a viking pub. Basically, I really hope this HTTYD thing comes to fruition because I think it has the potential to be an amazing addition, deserving of being the first true new island at IOA since 2010.

I saw it was mentioned, but the 1st thing that came to mind was that they could start w/ BERK and use the Sinbad Theatre for something, I think that would really add to the appeal of the park. I mean kids love Dinos so I imagine dragons as well...I know many a time while wait for IoA to open, I've talked w/ parents who had kids that were so ready to see the JP area.

Very fair. HTTYD's only competition is Shrek, imo, and there's no doubt that became a cultural phenomenon. It's certainly a more profitable IP, and a great movie, to boot.

Wondering out loud, I wonder if HTTYD will have more staying power. Shrek was culturally pervasive; you saw him on everything from bedding sets to ketchup bottles. And thanks to meme culture and way too many sequels, he's still somewhat relevant. But HTTYD is taking great care with their movies. While Shrek 2 and on were unnecessary and often times irritating, HTTYD 2 was just as good as the first, and the fact that the 3rd movie is still 1-2 years away makes me think they're taking the time to make it matter. And if this land does get greenlit, having a well-rounded and exciting theme park land of vikings and dragons can only help keep it relevant. If Dreamworks (and hopefully universal) keep it up, I really think this franchise can last (without becoming a joke. sorry shrek.)

I wouldn't saw just Shrek, especially when we are talking characters in general for theme park use. Don't we have the penguins, puss in boots, heck a lot of the Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda stuff...Dreamworks (to me) is an animation dream for the US!

I think people need to stop trying to figure out what would make a neat theme park land. There's thousands of properties that would make a neat theme park land. There are much bigger factors in what ends up being built than what looks cool. Avatar looks cool, but as has been pointed out, it hasn't moved the needle so to speak on attendance at WDW. And that was a much bigger franchise than HTTYD. Unless HTTYD breaks out and is bigger than the first two(which, it probably won't), I can't see them going any farther with it.

I haven't seen anywhere that KFP 4 is even confirmed. The interview that most everyone quotes as confirmation that they are doing 6 movies comes from 2010 the best I can tell. Before even KFP 2 came out. KFP as a series has steadily declined at the box office. And, even worse, did worse internationally. Considering how much the international market has grown, thats saying something.

I do not know, I mean kids love dragons, theme parks are about bringing dreams or screenz or something to life (to me). I feel Comcast wants to push their own brands as much as Disney does franchises. With a good script, it would not be hard to bring HTTYD back around to the public eye. Dreamworks has decent as heck animation...if Comcast were to start doing to the shows what they've done to UoR (seemingly positive changes i guess is what i mean), then I could see many of the characters becoming a bigger merch machine than 'the most profitable movie'...heck just look at how much Gene Simmons of Kiss tries to sling...

Reactions: Disneyhead
Mythos is great and will be quite a loss.

Poseidon’s Fury is actually one of my favourite theme park attractions, purely because it’s so unique and is such an indulgent exercise in placemaking and storytelling instead of being a formulaic ride experience. I’ll be very sad to see it go.
I'd imagine Mythos would be worked in (food wise anyway)...The outside would certainly be changed

Dragons and Panda just seems to fit IOA so well...Perhaps it's just my attachement to the old LC, but something medieval or dragon themed needs to be in that corner of the park

Wouldn't mind Panda and Ancient China working its way into TL either...An aesthetic I'd love to see at IOA

I always saw the Lost Continent as more of an area to walk through with some excellent theming. I'm sure that Poseidon's Fury is a brilliant attraction, but we have never been able to go in because my sister has a fear of loud noises. That's the same reason why I've never watched a nighttime spectacular in an Orlando park. Anyway, I feel that Lost Continent needs an E-Ticket attraction, like every other area of the park has other than Port of Entry. Think about it: MSHI has Hulk/Spider-Man, Toon Lagoon has Dudley Do-Right/Bilge-Rats, Jurassic Park has Jurassic Park River Adventure, Hogsmeade has Forbidden Journey, Seuss Landing has Cat in the Hat/Seuss Trolley Train Ride. I think they should install a big E-Ticket dark ride themed to a different Greek god. Or maybe put one in the Arabian section. I don't know. Do you guys have any ideas?

EDIT: Also, what is Panda? As far as I know, IOA have never had a Panda themed ride?

Reactions: Coasted
I always saw the Lost Continent as more of an area to walk through with some excellent theming. I'm sure that Poseidon's Fury is a brilliant attraction, but we have never been able to go in because my sister has a fear of loud noises. That's the same reason why I've never watched a nighttime spectacular in an Orlando park. Anyway, I feel that Lost Continent needs an E-Ticket attraction, like every other area of the park has other than Port of Entry. Think about it: MSHI has Hulk/Spider-Man, Toon Lagoon has Dudley Do-Right/Bilge-Rats, Jurassic Park has Jurassic Park River Adventure, Hogsmeade has Forbidden Journey, Seuss Landing has Cat in the Hat/Seuss Trolley Train Ride. I think they should install a big E-Ticket dark ride themed to a different Greek god. Or maybe put one in the Arabian section. I don't know. Do you guys have any ideas?

EDIT: Also, what is Panda? As far as I know, IOA have never had a Panda themed ride?

I guess Lost Continent has shows. A stunt show, a walk through...and hey, the fountain is very entertaining (in my opinion).

I assume Panda is Dreamworks Po (Kung fu Panda), his dad is a duck or something that sells noodles in a market place.

You mean chocolate milk?

Damn. Just the mention of milk killed him...

Anyway, I feel that Lost Continent needs an E-Ticket attraction, like every other area of the park has other than Port of Entry. Think about it: MSHI has Hulk/Spider-Man, Toon Lagoon has Dudley Do-Right/Bilge-Rats, Jurassic Park has Jurassic Park River Adventure, Hogsmeade has Forbidden Journey, Seuss Landing has Cat in the Hat/Seuss Trolley Train Ride.
Cat in the Hat/Seuss trolley certainly aren’t E Tickets :)

Last edited:
Cat in the Hat/Seuss trolley certainly aren’t E Tickets :)
They aren't, but Cat in the Hat at least does attract families with its large and cute facade and being a traditional Fantasyland dark ride. It's a similar draw to the other islands that LC lacks.

We were talking more on how IP's like Kung Fu Panda and Dreamwork's Dragons would work nicely for IOA and would give it a different style.

As far as what has had a legitimate rumor from that front, Dragons is being looked at with the location of Berk being possibly used in the theme of it. But that this seems to be only of one ideas coming around for a LC replacement.

Agree. Perhaps Dragon Challenge re-themed for HTTYD? Within LC re-themed to Berk. Oops too late

Not to mention that DC wasn't in LC, and there would be no way to combine them because HE and Hogsmede are in the way.

They aren't, but Cat in the Hat at least does attract families with its large and cute facade and being a traditional Fantasyland dark ride. It's a similar draw to the other islands that LC lacks.
That's kind of what I meant. Lost Continent doesn't really have much to offer other than Poseidon, Sinbad and the talking fountain thingy.

I'll believe it when they announce it at this point.

I've heard everything under the sun, and until they actually start moving on something I'm not holding my breath
My sentiments exactly. After all the 'news' and rumors we've gotten lately, there is so much in flux...and while I know Universal is prepping for theme park #3, it just seems like every other project being thrown out there is nothing more than talk.

I'll be really sad to see Poseidon's Fury get the axe if that's what ends up happening. I think it's one of the more unique attractions at the resort.
I too like Poseidon's because it's a walkthrough. There's nothing like it in Orlando.

That being said, the storyline is pretty hokey and the attraction has seen much better days. The tunnel was the show's biggest effect and I can't remember the last time I saw it working.