Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

I just kind of appreciate how everything in Islands, whether original or not, originated as a book first.

Some lands speak for themselves: Potter, Lost Continent, Seuss, Toon Lagoon, Marvel all derive themselves from a form of literature (novels, legends, picture books, newspaper comics, comic books, respectively).

Others get a little dicey: Jurassic Park was a book first, and King Kong’s first appearance was in the book adaptation of his first movie, hence why he’s in the public domain despite being a relatively recent character.
Except Dudley Do-Right. It debuted as a segment on the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon show. The comic strip characters for the rest of the land appeared in print first, yes.

Except Dudley Do-Right. It debuted as a segment on the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon show. The comic strip characters for the rest of the land appeared in print first, yes.
Yes - you're right! I knew that all along; I grew up ADORING the Peabody & Sherman bits, and had all of them on a DVD. In a way, I s'pose that puts a wrinkle on things; that, or I could just kinda say "*mostly newspaper comics"

Still jonesing for The Phantom and Flash Gordon to get more representation in that land. I doubt this, but just in case, has there ever been any talk over the years about maybe having them around as M&Gs or something?

I would rather they just keep Lost Continent as it is and put something in between Marvel and Toon Lagoon. Why replace one of the most unique lands at the resort with a land that only has seasonal appeal, doesn't really gel with the rest of the lands, and has somewhat dubious cross-generational appeal. I do think Rankin-Bass might warrant representation in the parks, but in a smaller capacity, perhaps with holiday events or mazes.

Lost Continent really just needs its own unique ride and all these ideas for its replacement can go to EU.

I think this was mentioned on the latest ParkStop Podcast, a well themed indoor boat ride could work super well in Lost Continent. UC’s answer to NRJ. It’d work well as a foil to VCoaster and Hagrid’s which would both be closeish by. It’s interesting to think about how many indoor boat rides WDW has compared to nothing like that at UOR.

I’m still firmly of the mindset a Sinbad or Hercules dark-ride and a small Scheherazade show (think Enchanted Story Time with Belle) could work really well. Or just give Scheherazade a 1001 Arabian Nights dark ride. If they’re able to design a ride for any character that sits between CitH and Spider-Man, that would be perfect.

I’m still firmly of the mindset a Sinbad or Hercules dark-ride and a small Scheherazade show (think Enchanted Story Time with Belle) could work really well. Or just give Scheherazade a 1001 Arabian Nights dark ride. If they’re able to design a ride for any character that sits between CitH and Spider-Man, that would be perfect.
Pay Disney for the rights to clone Sindbad’s Storybook Adventure from TDS

Ironically, the land themed to mythology doesn't really utilize and stories themed to mythology

A dark ride based on Poseidon would be super fun, something like 20,000 Leagues from TDS

I also thought the land just be divided up into two mini-lands, KFP and Madagascar, and called something else

Part of me thinks that LC will eventually be replaced, but Universal just loves Mythos. I can honestly see a world where LC is just Mythos and absolutely nothing else.

Mythos looks great (having never been), but I have no doubts Universal could outdo themseves if they wanted to. That restaurant just gets treated as holy ground. I blame Theme Park Insider personally.

Part of me thinks that LC will eventually be replaced, but Universal just loves Mythos. I can honestly see a world where LC is just Mythos and absolutely nothing else.

Mythos looks great (having never been), but I have no doubts Universal could outdo themseves if they wanted to. That restaurant just gets treated as holy ground. I blame Theme Park Insider personally.
It does have some of the best food in the park honestly....I believe it could easily be rethemed though

I feel Mythos is enough out of the way that honestly it shouldn’t be bothered with. Distinct looking enough for it to be a standalone feature to the park. Put a different land in place of the rest of current LC, even better if KFP’s building can fit in this space.

Universal's simply waiting for the right property and time for a Lost Continent replacement, and that's a good strategy IMO. It's not like the land detracts from the guest experience, especially now that PF is seasonal. I'm sure Hagrid is (and soon Velocicoaster) a massive guest satisfaction booster anyways.
True but Universal is, rightfully, using every single inch of land to put butts on seats of fun rides and add value for the growing number of hotel-rooms. So I expect this Island getting an overhaul sooner rather than later (sooner is in the next 5 years). And I will miss it as I still miss the dragon statues of Ice and Fire and the amazing looking Enchanted Oak restaurant.
dd_entrance.png
09-The%20Enchanted%20Oak%20Tavern.jpg
10-The%20Enchanted%20Oak%20Tavern.jpg

11-The%20Enchanted%20Oak%20Tavern.jpg

True but Universal is, rightfully, using every single inch of land to put butts on seats of fun rides and add value for the growing number of hotel-rooms. So I expect this Island getting an overhaul sooner rather than later (sooner is in the next 5 years). And I will miss it as I still miss the dragon statues of Ice and Fire and the amazing looking Enchanted Oak restaurant.
dd_entrance.png

Um...I remember Enchanted Oak looking alot....better

dd_entrance.png

I loved that Bar