The Hat Coming Down | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

The Hat Coming Down

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
No, it's not. It's an evil, scenery destroying eye sore that should be shot into the sun.

images

It may be set up as an icon at the moment, but that does not mean it should be. Icons don't destroy elaborate theme, they add to it. *cough* Chinese Theater *cough*

u might think this jerky of me, but imo the theater aint that great. i still wish they would change the movies they have in there, considering the contract with MGM is cut. i always considered the water tower and the hat to be the real landmarks of the park, not the theater

I think a person liking/disliking the hat depends on whether he/she grew up with it or not. Those who remember a Studios without it prefer the former, but those of us who have never known anything but the hat (myself included) don't mind it. Similarly, I don't mind Journey into Your Imagination with Figment or The Living Seas with Nemo and Friends, nor did I dislike The Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management and the massive hand on Spaceship Earth. Pardon small Disney visits in 1996 and 1997, I didn't start attending the park's annually until 2005.

Regarding the hat itself, I would be neutral if they removed it. I think it's a nice icon and is much more noticeable than the Chinese Theater, but returning the park's icon to its roots would make Hollywood Boulevard more "street-like".

Reactions: LiamRowbotham
I think a person liking/disliking the hat depends on whether he/she grew up with it or not. Those who remember a Studios without it prefer the former, but those of us who have never known anything but the hat (myself included) don't mind it. Similarly, I don't mind Journey into Your Imagination with Figment or The Living Seas with Nemo and Friends, nor did I dislike The Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management and the massive hand on Spaceship Earth. Pardon small Disney visits in 1996 and 1997, I didn't start attending the park's annually until 2005.

Regarding the hat itself, I would be neutral if they removed it. I think it's a nice icon and is much more noticeable than the Chinese Theater, but returning the park's icon to its roots would make Hollywood Boulevard more "street-like".

i grew up with the water tower and the hat as the icons. last i remembered, the theater was never its icon i believe.

but if they remove, a chunk of my childhood will be lost, seriously.

Personal taste is debateable, but theme is not. The hat does not fit with the well detailed entrance to the park. Same with the wand and Leave a Legacy Tombstones at Epcot. Personal taste is fair for Under New Management and Figment, but there is simply no denying the Hat is a flaw. I like the hat, not its location.

Personal taste is debateable, but theme is not. The hat does not fit with the well detailed entrance to the park. Same with the wand and Leave a Legacy Tombstones at Epcot. Personal taste is fair for Under New Management and Figment, but there is simply no denying the Hat is a flaw. I like the hat, not its location.

Yea, I could deal with the hat if it was put outside the park where the Christmas tree usually goes.

yeah, but the wand at Epcot had to go. it overstayed its welcome imo.

In that case, so has the Hat. They were put up at the same time.

In that case, so has the Hat. They were put up at the same time.

:confused:

my childhood has just been shattered. i honestly didnt know that

imo the wand was like a zit on the face of a golf ball. didnt go well with the sphere.

i guess i could see why everyone wants the hat gone, its just that its been there for so much longer than the wand.....

I've only been to Disney after the hat was already in place, but I'm not attached to it at all. (I also really don't care for the pin shop located there.) I think the hat clashes with the theming in the area and think it would be best gone. :)

i grew up with the water tower and the hat as the icons. last i remembered, the theater was never its icon i believe.
Same goes with me. The first time I went to DW was when I was 5, and the hat had just been put up. All I can remember is the hat. That said, I still despise it.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with the hat, just with what is under it. I really with that something other then a pin stand could be done with it. I'm a big pintrader and all but this is an icon, not a store. Why they don't just move the pin station and bring back the trivia stands from 100 years of magic or anything interactive like that is beyond me.
Also I grew up with the hat, mainly, and I never had a probelm with it. Does it go with the Hollywood theme, no. I do feel that it represents the impression of Disney on Hollywood and the implication that in the park movies come to life on a large scale. I always thought it looked cool.