The Hat Coming Down | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

The Hat Coming Down

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Personal taste is debateable, but theme is not. The hat does not fit with the well detailed entrance to the park. Same with the wand and Leave a Legacy Tombstones at Epcot. Personal taste is fair for Under New Management and Figment, but there is simply no denying the Hat is a flaw. I like the hat, not its location.

How is an over-sized hat at the end of a 1920's boulevard any different than a medieval castle at the end of a turn-of-the-century street? :p

Here's a video that talks about the issue

[video=youtube;Kou4M0A_C1I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kou4M0A_C1I[/video]

How is an over-sized hat at the end of a 1920's boulevard any different than a medieval castle at the end of a turn-of-the-century street? :p

You're comparing apples to oranges. The castle wasn't built in front of an elaborate replica of a turn of the century landmark containing one of the park's signature rides.

^For a first time visitor, I don't think there's any difference- a medieval castle is just as out-of-place in one park as a giant hat is in another. And, in all honesty, neither truly matters- both have a Disney touch to them and add to the "magic".

^For a first time visitor, I don't think there's any difference- a medieval castle is just as out-of-place in one park as a giant hat is in another. And, in all honesty, neither truly matters- both have a Disney touch to them and add to the "magic".

Storywise, there is a ton of difference. The castle acts as kind of the magical portal to the other lands, which is why it's not on Main Street.

The hat has no story justification or reason for being where it is. In fact it negates the story which is being in a Hollywood that "never was, but always will be".

It does matter. The magic kingdom is a world of total fantasy. Nothing claims to be a replica of anyting. The Hat destroys the illusion of old Hollywood. A first time visitor wouldn't know the differnece between Dragon's Challenge and Dueling Dragon's either, but that doesn't make DC better does it?

I agree whole-heartedly with the JungleSkip and jtsalien and I would also like to add that the hat makes it look so cluttered. It's behind buildings in some places and blocking them in others. It's a very irregular shape and makes the whole street look discombobulated.

And on a completely unrelated note, "discombobulated" climbed its way up to my top ten favorite words after "butyraceous" and "serendipitous".

My first and only time visiting the then Disney-MGM Studios was as a kid in 1993. It saddens me to see that hat there because the entry was Epic with that Magestic theater sitting at the end of the road. I do hope they relocate that hat to a more sutable location someday so that everything will look right and amazing once again.

Disney has already invested too much making the hat the icon of DHS - I don't think they can move it out of the park at this point.

That is very true. Even if the hat is moved, it is still plastered on everything as the icon. Thus simply tearing it down would make them have to recreate all the images of the icon. Although I have never been to DHS sans hat, I do agree it is an eyesore.

That is very true. Even if the hat is moved, it is still plastered on everything as the icon. Thus simply tearing it down would make them have to recreate all the images of the icon. Although I have never been to DHS sans hat, I do agree it is an eyesore.

I know one spot it is not listed as the icon... Transportation signs at the TTC ;)

They could move the hat out of the park. It could still sit in the front by the parking lot as a photo op, and the merchandise will still be relevant.

The hat can still maintain it's status as DHS' icon in another location. As people have suggested, maybe outside the front gate. When guests pull into DHS' parking lot, the thing first they'll see is the hat; signifying they're arrival to DHS and maintaining the hat as a park-welcoming icon. However, the hat blocking the view of the majestic Chinese Theater is obsurd! I don't hate the hat, I just absolutely hate it's location.

It makes a nice symbol. I mean, the chinese theater is pretty and all, but it's still just a building. The other parks have castles, trees, giant silver globes, etc. Not to mention, it looks pretty majestic lit up and all. I think it would be perfect right outside of the park. :lol:

It makes a nice symbol. I mean, the chinese theater is pretty and all, but it's still just a building. The other parks have castles, trees, giant silver globes, etc. Not to mention, it looks pretty majestic lit up and all. I think it would be perfect right outside of the park. :lol:

All the other ones also make sense for the park. The hat makes no sense for it at all. The theater or the water tower make so much more sense than the hat.

Couldn't it be placed near Fantasmic, in a backlot? I'm not sure of the park's layout, but surely it's big enough to see as a backdrop to the show.

Or perhaps this has already been discussed? If so, ignore this post.