The Last of Us (HHN 32) | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

The Last of Us (HHN 32)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So it's finally here, definitely happy for those who really wanted this IP!

I'm seeing here and there that some folks are surprised this'll be based off the game and not the TV series, but I don't think it's that surprising when you look at a couple things.

- With it being based on the game, it does allow them to focus more on the horror and graphic/brutal aspects which is pretty key for a house. And as mentioned before, the tv series focused on the emotional aspects which are most likely not gonna' be part of the house whatsoever.

- Another factor is casting, I can imagine it might be a little easier finding folks to portray Joel and Ellie, rather than finding Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey look a likes.

For me those are two really good factors, but I also can't help but wonder if what happened last year with WB played a factor as well. (HHN wanted TLoU, tv series got pushed back so WB offered Evil Dead Rise instead...only to push that back last minute.) If the plan last year was to base it off the tv series, than it probably was a factor. Definitely makes you wonder.

Personally, this won't be high on my anticipated list, but that's due to a combo of not wanting to overhype it (cuz lord, you can easily overhype yourself on a big IP like this.) and this isn't the kind of theme I clamor to see a house of. Nonetheless, it's gonna' be fun seeing this come to life!

Warner was moving the release date around a lot, cut out the middle man, etc.

Warner was moving the release date around a lot, cut out the middle man, etc.

And that's why I couldn't help but wonder, hard not to imagine Uni being quite annoyed on how that whole thing transpired. Probably also no coincidence that there doesn't seem to be any WB properties featured at the event this year...

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet
And that's why I couldn't help but wonder, hard not to imagine Uni being quite annoyed on how that whole thing transpired. Probably also no coincidence that there doesn't seem to be any WB properties featured at the event this year...

It's all conjecture and speculation obviously, but I think if we Occam's razor this it's probably "Naughty Dog was interested in pursuing this".

I’m not sure if you guys understand exactly how perfect the Pittsburgh part of the game is for a house. They did Pittsburgh as Kansas City in the show and deviated quite a bit in ways that didn’t necessarily benefit the story. It also felt rushed in the show.

Pittsburgh is a HUGE section of the game that has a little bit of everything happening. I think this is the best idea they could’ve come up with for a house.

It's all conjecture and speculation obviously, but I think if we Occam's razor this it's probably "Naughty Dog was interested in pursuing this".

My understanding of the situation (through thirdhand sources mind you) was basically --

Neil Druckmann connects with Mike Aiello about the possibility of The Last of Us coming to Horror Nights
The Last of Us is in the works for HBO! We'll wait a year and adapt that through a WB/Naughty Dog partnership
The Last of Us release date moves! Uh oh
Neil Druckmann/Naughty Dog really wants to just do Last of Us... "what if we just based it off the game, that way we don't need to worry about WB's priorities/we don't have to worry about likeness issues for Joel and Ellie"
The Last of Us (game version) is coming to HHN 2023

I'm extremely happy that it is based on the game and NOT on the show, what a huge win, thank God... Very happy.
There's much more to take from the game and bigger areas. More creatures. Plus having the game will bring the game fan base. It's just a really big win overall. Probably more freedom all around.
The best outcome. It gives us more variety in the IPs. Really really awesome.

My understanding of the situation (through thirdhand sources mind you) was basically --

Neil Druckmann connects with Mike Aiello about the possibility of The Last of Us coming to Horror Nights
The Last of Us is in the works for HBO! We'll wait a year and adapt that through a WB/Naughty Dog partnership
The Last of Us release date moves! Uh oh
Neil Druckmann/Naughty Dog really wants to just do Last of Us... "what if we just based it off the game, that way we don't need to worry about WB's priorities/we don't have to worry about likeness issues for Joel and Ellie"
The Last of Us (game version) is coming to HHN 2023
Maybe this will teach WB’s executives to not F around going forward. This is them finding out what happens when they constantly burn bridges.

Maybe this will teach WB’s executives to not F around going forward. This is them finding out what happens when they constantly burn bridges.

And universal really really should go more for games. We had resident evil and silent hill before, but uni should get more games. What about something like a DOOM house, or like people keep asking, Dead Space. I haven't played dead space but people keep asking for it.

I keep begging for a Dead by Daylight house or street. And Blumhouse is doing the dead by daylight movie, so there's already a connection there.
We definitely need more games. Hopefully this house opens the door a little bit more

Must be delightful for HHN team to finally work with someone that won’t bring too much restrictions and difficulties.
Naughty Dog’s team has wanted this for years so I’m sure there are very few restrictions from them. The only downside for Naughty Dog going forward is they now have to wait until whenever TLOU S2 comes out before HHN will want Part 2.

Reactions: GA-MBIT

When IP negotiations are happening, are there no contractual consequences for studios pulling out or jeopardizing their properties last minute? I am mainly referencing situations like the alleged Evil Dead Rise debacle last year. It would make sense for there to be a hard end-date type clause in the contract to make sure that Uni doesn't have to scramble for other options last minute.

I’m not sure if you guys understand exactly how perfect the Pittsburgh part of the game is for a house. They did Pittsburgh as Kansas City in the show and deviated quite a bit in ways that didn’t necessarily benefit the story. It also felt rushed in the show.

Pittsburgh is a HUGE section of the game that has a little bit of everything happening. I think this is the best idea they could’ve come up with for a house.

Agreed, a very important thing to remember is this is a haunted house, they're not gonna' be able to cover the entire game. It's best to just pick a section where you can focus on and make a kick butt house, and Pittsburgh is the right choice in more ways than one.

I respect the location. Zombies come from Pittsburgh just like vampires come from Transylvania. Any good student of Romero knows this.

The IP isn’t my cup of tea, and that’s fine. My question to fans - what specific scenes or scares featured in the Pittsburgh part of the game are you looking forward to?

I'm really looking forward to anything they manage to recreate featuring the hotel. this image gives you an idea ... it's awesome. I don't expect a ton of water-centric stuff in the maze, but anything that eludes to the absolutely terrifying "I'm walking through a flooded hallway and ... wait, what's that sound?" would rule.

The_Last_of_Us_Concept_Art_Hotel_Lobby_EZ-01.jpg

Must be delightful for HHN team to finally work with someone that won’t bring too much restrictions and difficulties.

Naughty Dog’s team has wanted this for years so I’m sure there are very few restrictions from them. The only downside for Naughty Dog going forward is they now have to wait until whenever TLOU S2 comes out before HHN will want Part 2.

Kinda sad that naughty dog doesn't seem to have many horror games. We need a "blumhouse" type entity with games. It would just be cool to have a relationship like blumhouse but with games.

Reactions: Jaden
I respect the location. Zombies come from Pittsburgh just like vampires come from Transylvania. Any good student of Romero knows this.

The IP isn’t my cup of tea, and that’s fine. My question to fans - what specific scenes or scares featured in the Pittsburgh part of the game are you looking forward to?
Pittsburgh is full of perfect scenes for a house.

Honestly I'm kind of expecting the house to open with us possibly walking past Joel and Ellie's crashed pickup truck in the convenience store with raider jump scares throughout.

Anything with the hotel would be amazing - PARTICULARLY the section in the basement (please please please let this happen).

The Pittsburgh section ends with them escaping through sewage tunnels and into a suburb, so I absolutely expect to see the tunnels in the house. I'd also love to see the ending dedicated to the suburb section, with house facades around us featuring raider and Infected jump scares (preferably with a sniper effect).

That's just a few though. ;)

I've played the game recently and am glad the creators get a chance to bring this to HHN. Regarding Pittsburgh, that's the location where Joel gets stuck in the hotel basement by himself with all of those infected?

If so - that was easily the scariest level of the game for me. It stressed me out the first time through so bad that I didn't play the game for months after that. Loved it.