The Last of Us (HHN 32) | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

The Last of Us (HHN 32)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
We can dream

header.jpg
Omg there are so many freakin video games I want to see at HHN. Bioshock included.

Outlast
FNAF
DBD
Fallout
Resident Evil 7
Dead Space

I can agree but I always love giving credit to Jak II and The Last of Us Part I as I feel they were the biggest jumps in Naughty Dog’s writing and storytelling. And I just prefer the more fantasy world of Jak from a creative and artistic standpoint.

To me the big jump was Uncharted 2 , which was easily my favorite game story for awhile until last of us 2

Omg there are so many freakin video games I want to see at HHN. Bioshock included.

Outlast
FNAF
DBD
Fallout
Resident Evil 7
Dead Space

If TLOU ends up being great then it will (hopefully) open the flood gates.
Bioshock would be great, so would Dead Space or RE7.

However, it doesn't really matter how great or how terrible TLOU is. TLOU is only happening this year because of how relevant it became among people who've never played the game and it is a marquee IP because of it. So while some of these may be great options, TLOU is only here because of the show it was based on.

So going forward, there is a FNAF movie coming out. With it being a Universal/Blumhouse film, I think this is almost a guarantee to happen at some point if the movie is a hit. Resident Evil has the cache of being a franchise that has made over $1.2B worldwide over the course of 7 films, although the most recent reboot was hampered at the box office by covid recovery and a bad movie. But the first six movies did really well for the size of the budget. RE7: Village is pretty much made to be experienced as a HHN type experience, it's possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Essentially, any game that wants to play at HHN needs to have some sort of mainstream appeal. Silent Hill made it to the event based on the movie, not the game if I remember correctly. During a time where we seemingly have more good horror than ever before for Universal to choose from in terms of IP for the event, You have to either be really big in the pop culture zeitgeist (The Last Of Us, Stranger Things, The Weeknd last year) or be a legacy Horror IP (Chucky, The Exorcist, Monsters). If you don't fit into one of those two lanes, you're going to have a tough time as an IP getting into the event unless you're Blumhouse.

However, it doesn't really matter how great or how terrible TLOU is. TLOU is only happening this year because of how relevant it became among people who've never played the game and it is a marquee IP because of it. So while some of these may be great options, TLOU is only here because of the show it was based on.

So going forward, there is a FNAF movie coming out. With it being a Universal/Blumhouse film, I think this is almost a guarantee to happen at some point if the movie is a hit. Resident Evil has the cache of being a franchise that has made over $1.2B worldwide over the course of 7 films, although the most recent reboot was hampered at the box office by covid recovery and a bad movie. But the first six movies did really well for the size of the budget. RE7: Village is pretty much made to be experienced as a HHN type experience, it's possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Essentially, any game that wants to play at HHN needs to have some sort of mainstream appeal. Silent Hill made it to the event based on the movie, not the game if I remember correctly. During a time where we seemingly have more good horror than ever before for Universal to choose from in terms of IP for the event, You have to either be really big in the pop culture zeitgeist (The Last Of Us, Stranger Things, The Weeknd last year) or be a legacy Horror IP (Chucky, The Exorcist, Monsters). If you don't fit into one of those two lanes, you're going to have a tough time as an IP getting into the event unless you're Blumhouse.
There’s usually a pattern on the current 5/5 split:
-Big IP: for bringing the crowds (Weeknd, ST, TLOU, Beetlejuice, AHS)
-Cross Promotional: Creates awareness of a new movie, season etc.. (Chucky, House of a 1000 Corpses, Myers, Hill house, Saw. Blumhouse, rumored Evil Dead last year)
-Legacy Horror: Familiar IPs (Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw, Classic Monsters, Poltergeist)
-White Whales: Appeals to hardcore horror fans, but A&D wants to make them (Killer Klowns, ,Trick r’ Treat, Shining, Myers in 26)
-5th can be any of those, and sometimes missing.

That's why the only one I mention is dead by daylight. It is officially being reported and it's blumhouse. It's the one that makes the most sense
Dead by daylight is current and after they made the Mobile phone game this year ( which I play) it's relevant right now. Very relevant at this moment.

The mobile game is recent and Blumhouse movie coming, I hope universal is already in talks for the house or scarezone. That's my biggest hope.
I need to see those generators and those hooks at universal lol.
Five nights at Freddy's and dead by daylight "Should" be coming soon. They should .... Soon.

Do you think a game by itself just being popular or “in the mainstream” is enough without any show or film to be considered for HHN?

Also, if TLOU just ends up falling flat with guests (not saying it will) A&D on both coasts would be likely hesitant to try something similar again. After all it took us 10 years to see another Game IP back at the event.

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet
Do you think a game by itself just being popular or “in the mainstream” is enough without any show or film to be considered for HHN?
A game can be hugely popular among gamers, much like The Last Of Us before it was adapted, but if normies don’t know what it is, there’s no shot of if coming imo.

• Sad
Reactions: Lucky Planet
Neil has been saying he wanted TLOU to come to come to HHN for over half a decade. It’s happening because the show made the IP popular in the mainstream.
It does feel like we're in an interesting time for theme park/video game crossover though. It seems like we've entered an era where a large number of games are getting movie/TV adaptions that actually make large profits and aren't complete flops (Sonic, Detective Pikachu, Uncharted, TLoU, Super Mario, Mortal Kombat, The Witcher, D&D, etc). We've got movies for FNaF, Silent Hill, Bioshock, etc all in the works. Etc. If there was ever a time for potential crossover, now feels like it would be it. Would love to see TLOU pave the way for others.

Reactions: Ahmanet and Nick
Video games feel like such a niche appeal compared to film. The only way they're appearing at the event is if they're intrinsically tied to a super popular film or television series. TLoU would not be coming to the event if it wasn't just a huge series.

I'd love to see the medium explored at HHN but there's a myriad of problems with the translation.

Video games feel like such a niche appeal compared to film. The only way they're appearing at the event is if they're intrinsically tied to a super popular film or television series. TLoU would not be coming to the event if it wasn't just a huge series.

I'd love to see the medium explored at HHN but there's a myriad of problems with the translation.
Genuine question that I don't have the answer to: I agree that the HBO show pushed this house into existence. But what makes a film like Killer Klowns, which is more of a niche B-movie, or Crypt TV, which is a literal YouTube channel, appropriate for modern HHN whereas (pre-HBO show) TLOU, a horror video game series that grossed $1 billion as of 2020, is not?

Last edited:
It’s silly to discount the popularity of videogames in a theme park that is literally added a video game portion to their parks to wild success.

As mentioned prior , I was on the fence about this year until last of us was announced. That would have happened if the show was released or not.

Don’t underestimate the gamer / horror audience , as I would imagine that diagram falls fairly parallel.

Reactions: mccgavin
Genuine question that I don't have the answer to: What makes a film like Killer Klowns, which is more of a niche B-movie, or Crypt TV, which is a literal YouTube channel, appropriate for modern HHN whereas (pre-HBO show) TLOU, a horror video game series that grossed $1 billion as of 2020, is not?
Someone who loves the film made a heartfelt pitch, came up with an easy to follow design, no one bat an eye at spending little money for a cult house that wouldn't take up much space within the event overall. Crypt TV felt like a mutual partnership and was just a scare zone, so even less space within the event parameters.
Horror video game tropes are usually born from popular genre movies. Haunted houses, by far, are very influenced by horror films, be it recent fads or genre staples that have existed since the 60s, 70s and 80s.

I mean, the proof is in the literal park pudding. No video game house was introduced to the event without it gaining a firm foothold as a movie or series that exists in the zeitgeist of pop culture. I'm not doubting video games are a huge industry, I'd be a fool too. But it is still dwarfed by the general movie going audience.

It’s silly to discount the popularity of videogames in a theme park that is literally added a video game portion to their parks to wild success.

As mentioned prior , I was on the fence about this year until last of us was announced. That would have happened if the show was released or not.

Don’t underestimate the gamer / horror audience , as I would imagine that diagram falls fairly parallel.

There's a big, big difference between a haunted house at HHN being based around a video game and an entire land being based around an entire gaming company that has existed in popular culture for decades now. People who don't play video games know what Nintendo is and are vaguely aware of who Mario and Pokemon are just because of how much they've seemed into the culture worldwide.

I'm not hating on video games, the video game industry or the idea of horror video games being the basis for haunted houses. I'd LOVE to see that. I'm just saying that you're putting your feet before the cart and probably getting your hopes up too high if you're hoping this years TLoU house is going to be the first of a series of video game inspired line up.

Could it be? Sure. But just stay balanced in your hopes!

Reactions: Jake S
Genuine question that I don't have the answer to: What makes a film like Killer Klowns, which is more of a niche B-movie, or Crypt TV, which is a literal YouTube channel, appropriate for modern HHN whereas (pre-HBO show) TLOU, a horror video game series that grossed $1 billion as of 2020, is not?
Killer Klownz was sort of like AWIL and Trick ‘r Treat among others. Simply put, they were IPs that A&D had been fighting for for awhile or thought would fit the vibe of the year well (in the case of Klownz).

I’m with you… video gaming is a huge market, but you also have to consider how it’s apples and oranges comparing how much a movie makes and how much a game makes when the average ticket price for a movie is $10 and a video game will run you $70 now. That’s an extra $60 per person for every single person who buys a game.

Reactions: Jake S
And I'll always maintain that as much as I love horror video games, they will always face that uphill battle in terms of content length. There's a world of difference between condensing a 90 minute movie into a few key scenes as opposed to an 8, 10 or even 15 hour video game. Just look at the upcoming TLoU house: it's supposedly featuring a single part of the game (Pittsburgh). I can see the team finding it a lot easier to digest a single section of a YT walk through for that part as opposed to having to digest the entire game in some format.

Sure, you could put the most iconic scenes from a particular game solely into the house one room after the other, but does the design team WANT to do that, especially if they're going out of their way for an IP. Then they're less adaptating a game's visuals and story and more-so just giving you a best of collection. Yes, they've done houses exactly like that but they might feel like they're doing the IP a disservice to boil it down to that.

By focusing on one section of the huge game with TLoU, they're absolutely going to design a much more cohesive, story driven experience as opposed to a collection of scenes with less rhyme and reason.