The Mandalorian | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

The Mandalorian

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I find the series wildly boring, bad written and directed. First the boring, the endless traveling we see and the many shots of Buy-me Joda that just doesn't add anything to the story. The opening fight in the 'boxing ring' fell out of context and the resolution was quick and easy, barely an inconvenience and lacked excitement. The reaction shots of the citizens of the very little cowboy town (4 small buildings?!) where terrible. The clothing of the sheriff with the scarf was grinchy. Everything goes too simple and easy and lacks any stakes. And there is where the writing comes in. Why go trough all the trouble to help when you want an armor you can take as he's much more capable than the sheriff. The whole Dune sandworm battle was as silly as it was nicely done but the resolution where the Mandelorian just appeared after the explosion is just...lazy imho. Eventually he ends up with the woman who he met before to get information at the end of the episode. There was no reason this whole episode exits. I get the concept of a filler episode but if this are only a handful of episodes per season again it just lacks in the story department.

I find the series wildly boring, bad written and directed. First the boring, the endless traveling we see and the many shots of Buy-me Joda that just doesn't add anything to the story. The opening fight in the 'boxing ring' fell out of context and the resolution was quick and easy, barely an inconvenience and lacked excitement. The reaction shots of the citizens of the very little cowboy town (4 small buildings?!) where terrible. The clothing of the sheriff with the scarf was grinchy. Everything goes too simple and easy and lacks any stakes. And there is where the writing comes in. Why go trough all the trouble to help when you want an armor you can take as he's much more capable than the sheriff. The whole Dune sandworm battle was as silly as it was nicely done but the resolution where the Mandelorian just appeared after the explosion is just...lazy imho. Eventually he ends up with the woman who he met before to get information at the end of the episode. There was no reason this whole episode exits. I get the concept of a filler episode but if this are only a handful of episodes per season again it just lacks in the story department.
You don't seem to like this show's format is what it boils down to. It wasn't filler - the series is very episodic, not serialized. There was multiple episodes like this last season and they ended up serving a larger purpose down the line. Even the Tatooine episode people disliked from last year actually makes more sense in retrospect now (and I just watched that episode yesterday before Chapter 9).

You don't seem to like this show's format is what it boils down to. It wasn't filler - the series is very episodic, not serialized. There was multiple episodes like this last season and they ended up serving a larger purpose down the line. Even the Tatooine episode people disliked from last year actually makes more sense in retrospect now (and I just watched that episode yesterday before Chapter 9).

Just like the O.T. was a throwback to the serials George Lucas barely remembered as a young kid, this show is a throwback to the Western genre of TV people Favreau's age (I'm just a couple years younger) remember from their youth and reruns. Mostly stand-alone episodes paying lip service to an overarching story arc. That's the exact opposite of "prestige TV" since at least The Sopranos and it takes some getting used to in the modern era. Just like Star Wars was unlike most movies in 1977.

Reactions: Mad Dog and Nick
Just like the O.T. was a throwback to the serials George Lucas barely remembered as a young kid, this show is a throwback to the Western genre of TV people Favreau's age (I'm just a couple years younger) remember from their youth and reruns. Mostly stand-alone episodes paying lip service to an overarching story arc. That's the exact opposite of "prestige TV" since at least The Sopranos and it takes some getting used to in the modern era. Just like Star Wars was unlike most movies in 1977.
And in a world where so many shows are just very similar, I not only think this style fits the genre, but it also helps the show stand out from the crowd more than it would otherwise. It also forces the audience to be patient in terms of the overarching story. I know we'll get there eventually, but it's nice having these "Monster of the week" episodes that both give you little hints of what's to come story-wise, but also just give you a fun episode.

this show is a throwback to the Western genre of TV people Favreau's age (I'm just a couple years younger) remember from their youth and reruns
I think I'd be more fine with that if they added more unique twists to the stories they're borrowing from, rather than just retelling watered down versions of those stories except with Star Wars characters. Most of these stories are only interesting insofar as they reframe key elements of the Star Wars mythos like Tuskan Raiders or Tatooine. One could say that that's the point, to homage these classic serial shows, but I assume those shows ran long enough to have a more compelling mix of stories than a standard natives and townsfolk need to get along yarn. Basically, if they're gonna do isolated episodes, I want those episodes to be as compelling as the best of whatever shows are their reference points rather than emulating their most standard plots. They should have the capacity to that, given that they only have to write 8 episodes a year rather than 22.

Reactions: Nico and tielo
I think I'd be more fine with that if they added more unique twists to the stories they're borrowing from, rather than just retelling watered down versions of those stories except with Star Wars characters. Most of these stories are only interesting insofar as they reframe key elements of the Star Wars mythos like Tuskan Raiders or Tatooine. One could say that that's the point, to homage these classic serial shows, but I assume those shows ran long enough to have a more compelling mix of stories than a standard natives and townsfolk need to get along yarn. Basically, if they're gonna do isolated episodes, I want those episodes to be as compelling as the best of whatever shows are their reference points rather than emulating their most standard plots. They should have the capacity to that, given that they only have to write 8 episodes a year rather than 22.
I mean, I loved that episode even with Flaws its just a fun Episode. The Beginning Stuff with Mando shows how capable he is, the Raiders stuff show he is not just a killer and is willing to work with anyone.
Also For me I love seeing more of these Side races like the Sand People and seeing how they work/think. We have seem them in only a negative light up until the first season of Mando and now we can see why they can become hostile towards outsiders. As a reviewer I saw talk about the show too, they are like this show is like Clone Wars/Rebels where they want to build on things over seasons.
Rex, Ahsoka tano, Maul and Erza first episode might not be that deep but give Dave and his team time and they will flesh the hell out of these characters and make basic characters into fan favorites.

Reactions: Nick and SeventyOne
New episode 4/10. Will just copy and paste what I sent to my friend later when everyone sees it.

Wasn’t a big fan of this episode, in fact it was probably my least favorite of the series.

THIS is what a filler episode is, guys. Nothing moved the plot forward and there wasn’t a solid adventure within the episode like they gave us last week. Maybe it’ll make sense going forward, but I just felt like this was a waste of an episode for a show that only has 8 per season.

What makes me interested, aptly put..

This will be an story that will conclude in next weeks episode. And I'm more curious to what exactly we'll learn next week with the husband of the froggo, because that's the only thing from making me wonder why this episode was a thing. Unlike the reference for Chapter 6 in this episode; I do think we'll see a payoff in this season.

What makes me interested, aptly put..

This will be an story that will conclude in next weeks episode. And I'm more curious to what exactly we'll learn next week with the husband of the froggo, because that's the only thing from making me wonder why this episode was a thing. Unlike the reference for Chapter 6 in this episode; I do think we'll see a payoff in this season.
I think you may be right (goodness I hope so), but I still think this was mostly a wasted episode. Even if we get some sort of payoff, I just really didn’t enjoy this episode and it felt like a chore to get through unlike last week’s great season opener.

In the trailer we can see the frog reunited with her husband on the dock were Sasha banks character is, possibly we meet Sabine in the next episode? perhaps Sabine is the mando they were talking about

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Regardless of what the payoff is. This Episode by far is the worst episode of the series

We already had a much better monster episode and for a scene cool have a monster but i doubt most people will like this episode yeah the effects are great again but we aren't pushing the story and i find it pointless to do "survival" episodes where NO one dies. Even When Ashoha is captured in Clone Wars Jedi die, this episode could have been 2-0 mins and we could have gotten to the good part. No clue why we are spinning our wheels on a show that costs this much to make. Every Episode should either do some so new or move the story. This did neither

It's even more disappointing that this was the episode that Peyton Reed directed. I was hoping for a lot better when I heard he was directing an episode.

Speculation 4 Next Episode

In the trailer from 0:10 to 0:19 seconds, the ship is damaged just as it was in this episode's final moments. This will probably be the intro to it, this image here. shows the frog family reunited. This will be in the first 10 minutes? Then Mando will be sent on the ship I guess.Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 9.35.37 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-06 at 9.36.14 AM.png

Man I forgot all the cool stuff shown in the trailer....hope from this point on its all moving the story. If in two season we are still trying to find the childs home..its going to lose all the magic

I did like how we continued to learn more about The Child's diet of Frogs in this episode. In season one, we saw him eating frogs on multiple occasions. In this episode, we see him eating frog eggs at an extensive rate.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I take back all the bad I said from last weeks episode as it lead to a kickass episode this week. So much story in so little time. Too little, tbh. That’s my only complaint is I wish it was a bit longer but other than that, this episode delivered on every front. Absolutely can’t wait to see where the story goes from here.

Reactions: youhow2
This is an amazing leap for Bryce Dallas Howard on her directing, gotta give her the props in delivering a rather fantastic episode. I agree with @Nick, I would've been perfectly happy to see this episode get atleast 3-4 more minutes of runtime.

I really, really like how they introduced Bo-Kotan into the fold, as even with the brief time; it feels like she's going to be an important character in the cog of Moff and the Darksaber. It also seems like next week will be our first episode with Ahsoka; which makes me extremely interested to know how Faverau is going to write her.

This is an amazing leap for Bryce Dallas Howard on her directing, gotta give her the props in delivering a rather fantastic episode. I agree with @Nick, I would've been perfectly happy to see this episode get atleast 3-4 more minutes of runtime.

I really, really like how they introduced Bo-Kotan into the fold, as even with the brief time; it feels like she's going to be an important character in the cog of Moff and the Darksaber. It also seems like next week will be our first episode with Ahsoka; which makes me extremely interested to know how Faverau is going to write her.
Rumors have it that Ahsoka is only in one episode this season and it’s Episode 5 (of course rumors could be wrong).

I’m thinking that Din goes back to Navarro first to grab a bit of a team and get his ship repaired. I think next week we may see Greef Karga and Cara Dune for the first time this season. Carl Weathers is also directing next week’s episode, so we’ll see.