The Offical D23 Thread | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

The Offical D23 Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Tickets for Magic and Merriment go on sale tomorrow, October 26, 2010 at 10 a.m. PST/1 p.m. EST. Tickets are $235 per person.

Last year a delightful holiday tradition was born when D23 Members from across the country gathered at Walt Disney World to celebrate the sparkle of the season at D23's first Magic and Merriment event. Join us as we create heartwarming new memories this year.

The holly jolly happening begins the evening of Friday, December 10, when guests register for the event at One Man's Dream, the iconic Disney's Hollywood Studios attraction celebrating the legacy of Walt Disney. Inside the attraction, which is presented by D23, you'll also be treated to a private screening of Archiving the Archives, a new documentary celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Walt Disney Archives.

On Saturday morning, December 11, you'll enjoy hot holiday cider, flavored coffees and scrumptious Christmas Stollen inside the Odyssey Center at Epcot, where guests will be greeted by members of the D23 Team and some holiday surprises. Walt Disney World President Meg Crofton will be on hand to welcome guests and share some stories of the magic of the Resort at the most happiest time of the year. Chefs Erich Herbitschek and Stefan Reimer return to Magic and Merriment for another hilarious — and delicious! — baking demonstration sure to tempt your taste buds. You'll then be invited to spend the afternoon enjoying the holiday splendor of Epcot at your own pace before re-joining the group at the America Gardens Theatre as the sun begins to set.

As you nestle into your reserved seat, sit back, snuggle up and delight in the warm embrace of Walt Disney World's perennial Christmas favorite, Candlelight Processional. This time-honored tradition of classic carols and hymns sung by a choir of hundreds will be narrated by Disney and ABC star Whoopi Goldberg (The View, The Lion King). Following this special performance, you will be transported to Disney's Hollywood Studios for a sumptuous holiday feast on the incredible set of the Indiana Jones™ Epic Stunt Spectacular. After the park closes, you'll head over to New York Street for a private viewing of The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights during a special presentation hosted by Walt Disney Entertainment's John Phelan.

Sunday morning you will wake up to mix and mingle over brunch at the stunning Top of the World Lounge high above Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort. The Lounge, which offers a spectacular view of the Magic Kingdom Park, is usually reserved for Disney Vacation Club Members staying at Bay Lake Tower, but our friends at the Disney Vacation Club are opening it up just for you. Enjoy an inside look at this breathtaking building and even tour a Grand Villa, one of the most stunning suites at the Walt Disney World Resort!

After brunch, D23 Members will enjoy a very "suite" treat — exclusive tours of the stunning Dream Suite inside Cinderella Castle, high above Fantasyland. The suite is not open to the general public, so this will truly be a magical moment.

Come nightfall, celebrate together at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and relax at D23's private hospitality lounge on board the Liberty Belle steamboat for holiday treats, cocoa and cider. You'll also enjoy reserved viewing of Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Parade and the holiday fireworks extravaganza — Holiday Wishes: Celebrate the Spirit of the Season. And, of course, it wouldn't be a D23 event without a few seasonal surprises to commemorate the weekend! Happy holidays from your friends at D23!

Included with the cost of your ticket:*

• Holiday cider, coffee and Christmas Stollen at the Odyssey Center (Saturday)
  • Special holiday presentations with special surprises (Saturday)
  • Guaranteed seating for Candlelight Processional at 5 p.m. (Saturday)
  • Dinner and dessert on the set of the Indiana Jones™ Epic Stunt Spectacular. (Includes wine and beer, Saturday)
  • Private presentation of The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights (Saturday)
  • Transportation to and from Epcot to dinner (Saturday)
  • Private brunch at the Top of the World Lounge in Bay Lake Tower with a behind-the-scenes look at the creation of the resort (Sunday)
  • Tour of the Cinderella Castle Dream Suite (Sunday; Sign up on Saturday morning)
  • Admission to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party (Sunday)
  • Private dessert and hospitality area on the Liberty Belle riverboat during the Christmas Party. (Sunday)
  • Reserved parade and fireworks viewing (Sunday)
  • Special gift for all guests from your friends at D23!

NOTE: Available only to D23 Members in good standing. Park admission is required and not included. Members may reserve a ticket for themselves and three (3) guests. D23 Members will be required to provide their membership number when reserving tickets. Tickets are very limited for this event. Tickets may be picked up only with a valid photo ID AND D23 MEMBERSHIP CARD. D23 Members who do not bring their membership card may not be admitted to the event. Ticketed Members who do not attend the event forfeit their place as well as all experiences, benefits, and gifts associated with the event. If you wish to request for sign language interpreting services for this event, please submit your request to feedback@disneytwentythree.com at least two weeks prior to the event date. All D23 Special Events are subject to change without notice. There are no cancelations or refunds, tickets are not transferrable.

* Park admission is not included and is required.

D23 events for next year have been revealed: From the official D23 website:

In 2012, D23: The Official Disney Fan Club will take the show on the road as it kicks off a yearlong celebration for D23 members with a bold lineup of fantastic events.

Throughout 2012, D23 will delight Disney fans from Boston, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and Palm Springs to Orlando, Burbank, and even Marceline, Missouri—Walt Disney’s boyhood hometown—with the thrill and excitement of unique Disney experiences.

“To help D23 celebrate its third “fanniversary,” we developed the most exciting lineup yet of special events to bring our members truly one-of-a-kind Disney experiences,” Steven Clark, head of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, says. “We’re excited to visit our fans all around the country, and to create events we hope will surprise and delight them.”

Starting the year are two new extraordinary experiences: D23′s Journey to Marceline and D23 Presents the Smoke Tree Ranch Roundup.

For the first time ever, a special tour of Walt’s boyhood hometown—Marceline, Missouri—will take place for D23 Members on March 14. Led by Disney archivists, the daylong Journey to Marceline explores this small town (population 2,221) in ways that will have special resonance for Disney fans.

In his later life, Walt found unique inspiration at Smoke Tree Ranch in Palm Springs, and during the incredible three-day Smoke Tree Ranch Roundup (January 23-25), D23 Members can experience this exclusive retreat in a completely unique way (click here to read more on Smoke Tree Ranch). In another first-of-its-kind immersive experience, Disney fans will get to see what Walt called “my own laughing place,” taking part in screenings, presentations, activities, and delectable meals, all while staying in a Smoke Tree Ranch cottage.

In the spring, D23 takes the party on the road with the D23 Fanniversary Celebration. It commemorates more than 40 unforgettable Disney magical milestones, each celebrating an anniversary in 2012. Hosted by Disney archivists, D23 Fanniversary Celebration events will be held in Orlando, New York, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, and Los Angeles and revisiting some of the most beloved Disney theme park attractions, animated and live-action films, TV series, and more from 85 years of Disney history. Fanniversary events will be open to the public, with special admission and surprises created especially for D23 Members in attendance.

In the summer, D23 will offer an all-new “Destination D” event, Destination D: 75 Years Of Disney Animation, held over the course of two days at the Disneyland Resort in California (August 11-12). As Disney marks the 75th anniversary of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, D23 marks the occasion by gathering many renowned Disney animation legends along with top Disney animators, voice talent (past and present), and composers—plus interesting demonstrations, fascinating presentations, autograph sessions, and the chance to see entertaining animation rarities from the Disney vaults—all in celebration of 75 years of Disney feature animation.

Throughout the year, D23 will continue its popular series of movie screenings at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank. With a new series, From the Vaults, D23 will bring favorite live-action films back to the big screen, including special 20th anniversary screenings of Newsies (February 25) and Sister Act (May 26), plus the classic Disney adaptation of Treasure Island (September 22). D23′s 50 and Fabulous series also returns in 2012, with In Search of the Castaways (June 23).

The year also includes four special weekends of D23 Member-only tours of The Walt Disney Studios and Walt Disney Archives in Burbank, which are planned for February 11-12, April 28-29, September 8-9, and November 10-11, doubling the capacity of these consistently sold-out D23 events.

In the fall, during Epcot’s International Food and Wine Festival, D23′s popular Sip & Stroll event gets a Halloween twist and becomes Sip & Scream (in October). And during the holiday season, D23 will again hold back-to-back presentations of its popular holiday offerings—Disney and Dickens (in Burbank in December) and Magic & Merriment (at Walt Disney World Resort; tentative dates: December 7-8 and 9-10), doubling your Disney holiday fun.

Look for more D23 events to be announced throughout the year, including details on an Epcot 30th anniversary celebration and a fun-filled D23 third anniversary party at the Disneyland Resort. All events and dates are subject to change.

The official D23 website now reveals what the dates for next year will be.

D23 EXPO-THE ULTIMATE DISNEY FAN EVENT-RETURNS TO ANAHEIM, ONCE AGAIN BRINGING ALL THE MAGICAL WORLDS OF DISNEY UNDER ONE ROOF FROM AUGUST 9-11, 2013

All the magic and excitement of the past, present and future of Disney entertainment will come together once again when D23: The Official Disney Fan Club presents an all-new D23 Expo at the Anaheim Convention Center on August 9-11, 2013.

“The D23 Expo has become a phenomenal way for Disney fans to see everything they love about Disney all in one place – from Disney’s biggest stars and latest innovations to unforgettable performances live on stage,” said Steven Clark, head of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, which produces the bi-annual D23 Expo. “Our third Expo is sure to create even more magical new experiences and memories for our biggest fans attending from throughout the U.S. and around the globe.”

“Anaheim is extremely pleased that the D23 Expo will be returning next year,” said Charles Ahlers, president, Anaheim/Orange County Visitor & Convention Bureau. “This exciting event is quickly becoming an industry icon, drawing Disney fans from around the world. The Anaheim community truly appreciates and enjoys this quality show and positive impacts it brings.”

More than 40,000 Disney fans attended D23 Expo 2011, which brought together the entire world of Disney under one roof for three star-studded days and nights. Fans were treated to appearances by superstars like Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Regis Philbin and Billy Crystal; enjoyed performances by Dick Van Dyke, The Muppets and Disney princess voice talent Jodi Benson, Paige O’Hara, Lea Salonga and Anika Noni Rose; previewed concept art and attractions coming from Disney Parks and Walt Disney Imagineering; glimpsed back at Disney’s rich history through extraordinary panels, presentations and exhibits; and discovered the newest entertainment, technology, and products from The Walt Disney Company.

Among the highlights of D23 Expo 2013 will be expanded capacities at some of our most popular venues; the 2013 Disney Legends Ceremony, which honors the talented men and women who have made significant contributions to the Disney legacy; Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives, a treasure trove of crown jewels from the Walt Disney Archives; the bustling aisles of the Collectors Forum, where Disney fans can buy, sell and trade Disney collectibles, memorabilia and merchandise; and a massive show floor full of special opportunities to see what’s on the horizon for Disney around the world-and where guests may bump into their favorite Disney stars, characters, Imagineers, animators and filmmakers.

Advance tickets for the D23 Expo 2013 will go on sale at D23Expo.com beginning August 9, 2012. D23 Members receive special pricing on both one- and three-day tickets to the event, which is also open to the general public.

D23 Members receive early admission to the Expo show floor, and D23 will once again give a special thanks to D23 Charter Members, providing them special access to the Expo’s Charter Member Lounge. Members will also have an opportunity to purchase a special Sorcerer Package, which provides a host of special benefits and amenities.

D23 Expo 2013 marks the third D23 Expo held in Anaheim – the first Expo was held in 2009 followed by a second in 2011. Each event played host to thousands of Disney fans from every corner of the globe. Starting today, guests can visit D23Expo.com to relive some of the extraordinary experiences from the first two Expo events and get a peek at what’s to come in 2013.

I might go to this. It'd be my first time and it's around my b-day next year.

This convention cannot be sustainable. This is two conventions in a row with no announcements for the parks (it's not over, but...). I've already seen reporters from some fairly big media outlets say they chose not to go this year. It's just not worth it. SDCC was last month so it's a bit of a hassle and not really worth it to go to an entirely different convention just for the Disney conglomerate. Vidcon was last week too. Withholding theme park announcements from fans, the core core audience of the expo, doesn't help any.

This convention cannot be sustainable. This is two conventions in a row with no announcements for the parks (it's not over, but...). I've already seen reporters from some fairly big media outlets say they chose not to go this year. It's just not worth it. SDCC was last month so it's a bit of a hassle and not really worth it to go to an entirely different convention just for the Disney conglomerate. Vidcon was last week too. Withholding theme park announcements from fans, the core core audience of the expo, doesn't help any.

Granted I didn't go to ComicCon, but that's why I didn't go this year. It was fine in 2011, but it just went over things we pretty much knew about. I mean ya, they had a few nice surprises; but nothing to go crazy about.

I was seriously looking into going to this years Expo earlier in the year when rumors were flying rampant about all these announcements we were supposedly going to get. I have some miles I could've used, hotel points and I have the Premier Passport as well, so ticket is covered too. Oh, btw, this is the last time i'll be getting the Premiere or likely anything more than a FL resident AP and parkhopper when I go to Disneyland - it's just not worth it anymore. Back on topic though, the trip would have been mostly free. As soon as I heard they weren't announcing anything this year, my interest sank and I just decided not to go. Pretty much, it just wasn't worth using my points and miles on something i'll ultimately be disappointed in (plus i've been to DL this year already).

I was seriously looking into going to this years Expo earlier in the year when rumors were flying rampant about all these announcements we were supposedly going to get. I have some miles I could've used, hotel points and I have the Premier Passport as well, so ticket is covered too. Oh, btw, this is the last time i'll be getting the Premiere or likely anything more than a FL resident AP and parkhopper when I go to Disneyland - it's just not worth it anymore. Back on topic though, the trip would have been mostly free. As soon as I heard they weren't announcing anything this year, my interest sank and I just decided not to go. Pretty much, it just wasn't worth using my points and miles on something i'll ultimately be disappointed in (plus i've been to DL this year already).

Yeah, I've been out west for the past 3 years on 5 different occasions (Disneyland twice) and I had enough of the 5 hour flight. :lol: My fiance and I seriously debated going this year, but ultimately decided to keep it local (aka Florida) for vacations and go big in 2014.

Apparently they "recreated" the original Journey into Imagination at D23, video by DIS:
[video=youtube;ooCAV1AljNM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooCAV1AljNM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

WTF is Disney doing!!! So you do nothing for new developments for a second straight convention, give not a lick of new material for a project announced three years ago, and now mock fans by recreating the original journey after building this pile of **** we have at Epcot. All while unveiling a sequel to a movie that lacks creativity and substance and is receiving horrid reviews. Where is the company I grew up with heading? I just can't figure this out. Anyone?

WTF is Disney doing!!! So you do nothing for new developments for a second straight convention, give not a lick of new material for a project announced three years ago, and now mock fans by recreating the original journey after building this pile of **** we have at Epcot. All while unveiling a sequel to a movie that lacks creativity and substance and is receiving horrid reviews. Where is the company I grew up with heading? I just can't figure this out. Anyone?

I smell article.. :lol:

Their animated films are still good....