The Offical D23 Thread | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

The Offical D23 Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Too be fair, Planes was never intended as anything more than a big budget Direct to DVD sequel. They saw box office potential in it and decided to go for it. Considering it's 50 million budget and it already grossing about 23 million it is a financial success and I can understand it being green lit.

Wrong. I just copied and pasted what I wrote on the Planes thread today:

But it's not made them money yet. It's budget was $50 million, not including marketing. It made just over $22 million over it's 3 day opening weekend. Animated movies tend to drop 45 - 50% on the second weekend unless they are a blockbuster like DM2. Not to mention that the studio generally gets back 50 - 55% of the total box office take. Yes, they will make a buck once it hits DVD, that's a given.

It would have to exceed 100 million at the box office for it to be considered a break even sorta deal. They will more than likely get that once it hits DVD but they jumped the gun when they green-lit the sequel. Think Man of Steel. That was already green-lit too....now probably not so much. I personally find it hilarious.

Last edited: