Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Official "Use of Screenz" Thread

Absolutely. Any fair-minded theme park fan should be able to acknowledge that. But I also happen to think, however, that when Universal keeps using the same (great) tricks again and again on all their major rides, the cool and unique elements of the tricks begin to wear off.

With the upcoming Fast & Furious and Fallon attractions no doubt being dependent on screens, that leaves Mummy, Men In Black, and E.T. as the only remaining key attractions (excluding the live shows) that don't rely on that technology. I would like there to be more of a balance of experiences.
Rockit?

I can see 3D at the movies. I dig how they can be utilized, but a ride should have a ride path that incorporates a lot of physical sets. Seeing what Disney accomplished with Mystic Manor using both screens AAs and physical sets let's me down seeing what's lost when you heavily rely on screens.

What a strange discussion. I think all rides are trying to tell (or in Disney's case re-tell) a story.
Disney shows you key scene's from (mostly animated) story's using AA's and in many cases screens (ToT, Mission Space, Soarin, Star Tours, Toy Story Mania, Yeti Coaster, all 4D movies, all World Showcase movies, shows like talking with Crush and Monster Inc laughing floor, the card games and more).
Universal has many AA's, look at the queue's and in the Potter area's. When possible, often for animated or fantasy characters, they apply AA's (Man in Black, Cat in the hat, Jurassic Park, ET). But real life people often look crap in AA. The great movie ride and Ellen's Energy Crises are good examples. When making you part of the action and not just showing you scene's makes the need for screens necessary.

The Ellen AA is pretty old. But this newer one here looks pretty good. The queue in Gringotts shows us that Universal obviously has the talent to create outstanding lifelike AA. Just my personal opinion, I wish there were more things like that in the actual rides, instead of in the queue.
PR_UPDATE%236.0.jpg

At the end of the day, I'll take a bunch of screen-based attractions at Universal over a key Disney element you all are glazing over. The usage of the omnimover technology. Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear, Spaceship Earth, Journey into Imagination, Under the Sea, The Seas With Nemo and Friends, and Peter Pan all untilize this technology. While I love both screens and omnimover rides, if I had to pick a more captivating experience almost each time: it's almost always the screens. I find those attractions to be more easily exciting. Something that baffles me he most is why the usage of omnimover attractions isn't frequently criticized, as it's always bothered me.

At the end of the day, I'll take a bunch of screen-based attractions at Universal over a key Disney element you all are glazing over. The usage of the omnimover technology. Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear, Spaceship Earth, Journey into Imagination, Under the Sea, The Seas With Nemo and Friends, and Peter Pan all untilize this technology. While I love both screens and omnimover rides, if I had to pick a more captivating experience almost each time: it's almost always the screens. I find those attractions to be more easily exciting. Something that baffles me he most is why the usage of omnimover attractions isn't frequently criticized, as it's always bothered me.
I agree the omnimover is overused, but a few of them here and there to change from the fast pace nature of the screen attractions isn't much to ask.

Yup. I think the ominimover needs to be phased out. Took my girlfriend to Disney for the first time the summer and basically said "Why are these rides so boring?"

The advanced AA's are incredible. And with all due respect, comparing older tech that's over 20 years old is like me comparing the Ursala AA with the screen finale of UOE. They both have their places. Screens should enhance the experience.

And saying the omni ride is boring is like me saying screen simulators make me sick. The difference is having the ability to skip those attractions and find something I do enjoy. Disney has the leg up there. You can still find something to do if you hate omnimovers. It's getting to the point of not having a whole lot of options at UNI.

The EFG goblins are awesome and should be utilized within their rides. To me, personally, good AAs make a ride more immersive.

The most popular rides at Disney, the one with the longest lines, in 3 of their parks have many or are totally depending on screens. There is only 1 who has an AA in the queue and one with a broken AA.
Epcot - Soarin and Test Trek
DHS - Toy Story Mania and ToT
AK - Disco Yeti coaster

But I'm with you, Splash Mountain is amazing when all AA's work, something I have never seen. There are always some (last time I road many) AA's who didn't work and the ride experience go's down hill very fast.

Omnimovers are riding you besides show scene's but aren't build to put you into the world. because of that they are hardly used at Universal and yes they are boring and overused. I was shocked it was the ride system for Little Mermaid but I guess Disney likes to go cheap in the US.

Yup. I think the ominimover needs to be phased out. Took my girlfriend to Disney for the first time the summer and basically said "Why are these rides so boring?"
Screens and the omnimovers can come together to create something beautiful as proven by Mystic Manor. Also, FJ may be described as a "Virtual Omnimover", but that means little to me. If I come off of a ride feeling as if i've been tossed around, it isn't a omnimover.

Just because a ride system is old doesn't mean it is no good. It may seem old and boring at Disney because they don't have many simulators/motion attractions and the omnimover is a bit overused there. However, at a park like USF, where the park is filled with motion simulators, suddenly those omnimovers don't look so boring. They are a nice rest and change of pace for a small period of time and on top of that they are huge people eaters.

Screens and the omnimovers can come together to create something beautiful as proven by Mystic Manor. Also, FJ may be described as a "Virtual Omnimover", but that means little to me. If I come off of a ride feeling as if i've been tossed around, it isn't a omnimover.

Just because a ride system is old doesn't mean it is no good. It may seem old and boring at Disney because they don't have many simulators/motion attractions and the omnimover is a bit overused there. However, at a park like USF, where the park is filled with motion simulators, suddenly those omnimovers don't look so boring. They are a nice rest and change of pace for a small period of time and on top of that they are huge people eaters.

What I always say is that it's about variety. Some people are apparently fine with the notion of a theme park full of Spider-Mans and Gringottses, but I think overusing that basic approach (and I'm not saying USF is there... yet) makes those attractions less special. That's why having a bunch of different types of rides is - I think - extremely important. It's not about "SCREENZ = bad!"

I'm not particularly advocating for omnimovers per se, but I continue to hunger for new, high-quality, AA-rich rides that take you through detailed and extensive physical sets. From both Disney and Universal. Hopefully Kong will be exactly that, and hopefully the Avatar boat ride will be in that mode.

Not every ride needs to be a high-octane, thrill-a-minute story that can only be achieved through simulator-ish means.

I'm fine with a slow ride.

If Uni builds an omnimover, I'm going to riot. It's an ancient, boring ride system. We've seen all the tricks an omnimover can do. Kong will show how modern Uni does a true, modern slow moving dark ride.

EDIT: This is not to say omnimover rides are bad. Spaceship Earth and Haunted Mansion are some of the best ever...but it's time to move on.

The most popular rides at Disney, the one with the longest lines, in 3 of their parks have many or are totally depending on screens. There is only 1 who has an AA in the queue and one with a broken AA.
Epcot - Soarin and Test Trek
DHS - Toy Story Mania and ToT
AK - Disco Yeti coaster

But I'm with you, Splash Mountain is amazing when all AA's work, something I have never seen. There are always some (last time I road many) AA's who didn't work and the ride experience go's down hill very fast.

Omnimovers are riding you besides show scene's but aren't build to put you into the world. because of that they are hardly used at Universal and yes they are boring and overused. I was shocked it was the ride system for Little Mermaid but I guess Disney likes to go cheap in the US.
You're talking about taste, though. I'm talking variety. I like The People Mover and it has no screens or AA. It depends on the experience. I can like Spiderman and The little Mermaid. And my problem with UNI and screens is the lack of variety. I can't handle simulators,so its nice to have other options.

Peter Pan, Seven Dwarfs, Splash Mountain, Pirates and Mansion are still the most popular attractions at MK.

Soarin is a cool ride and popular, M:S is not; having it on good authority that it never runs at compacity and only operates half of its ride system.

My point is, for the average guest, you need variety in your ride systems. I don't have to ride Star Tours or M:S and still have other attractions to ride, UNI isn't that simple. If you hate omnimovers, you don't have to ride them, they have other options for you.

Now, more simulators for the Studios.

This makes, what... 5 rides that use 3D glasses now? If I only had one functioning eye I'd probably just skip Universal Studios at this point.

Simulation should be reserved for the impossible, such as: flying above skyscrapers with Spider-Man, flying around Hogwarts, things that are too big to animate, etc

Things that shouldn't be simulated: driving a car down a street, 95% of Gringotts, and definitely at least one Transformer... Come on, Universal...

Screens and the omnimovers can come together to create something beautiful as proven by Mystic Manor.

Mystic Manor is certainly not an omni-mover nor qualifies as a screen ride.

That said, it is the natural modern day evolution that basically everyone is craving. If either Disney or Universal manages to build an equivalent in Orlando I think you'd all be quite happy. Both resorts are really missing out.