The Official "Use of Screenz" Thread | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

The Official "Use of Screenz" Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Mystic Manor is certainly not an omni-mover nor qualifies as a screen ride.

That said, it is the natural modern day evolution that basically everyone is craving. If either Disney or Universal manages to build an equivalent in Orlando I think you'd all be quite happy. Both resorts are really missing out.
I didn't say it qualified as a "screen ride" as I'd despite that in a heartbeat. I said it utilizes screens.

As to it not being an omni-mover, fine, I thought I had heard it was. I don't live in Honv Kong and have t had the chance to travel there.

I didn't say it qualified as a "screen ride" as I'd despite that in a heartbeat. I said it utilizes screens.

As to it not being an omni-mover, fine, I thought I had heard it was. I don't live in Honv Kong and have t had the chance to travel there.

It's a trackless dark ride. It really solves the issue of not feeling like you are part of the scenes as it has a more traversable pathway that's not just a giant congo line.

It more-so utilizes projection mapping rather than screens. There are only one (or maybe two) legitimate tv sized screens masked as portraits, one of which is skipped by every other vehicle in the ride path.

Things that shouldn't be simulated: driving a car down a street, 95% of Gringotts, and definitely at least one Transformer... Come on, Universal...

A Transformer AA could not fit in the building as is. Literally everything is on top of everything else.

Gringotts did need to be projected. Mostly because celebrity AAs never look anything like the celebrity

Things that shouldn't be simulated: driving a car down a street, 95% of Gringotts, and definitely at least one Transformer... Come on, Universal...
Meh, I'd take screens over terrible looking celebrity AAs any day when it comes to Gringotts. And with Transformers, like JungleSkip said, that wouldn't even fit. It's probably one of the most cramped together rides on property.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
Meh, I'd take screens over terrible looking celebrity AAs any day when it comes to Gringotts. And with Transformers, like JungleSkip said, that wouldn't even fit. It's probably one of the most cramped together rides on property.
I will say I think Universal could throw a little more AA's into the mix. It's not a big deal but it could be a little more balanced. Also there was a dragon in Gringotts, I think that would have been a great opportunity!

I will say I think Universal could throw a little more AA's into the mix. It's not a big deal but it could be a little more balanced. Also there was a dragon in Gringotts, I think that would have been a great opportunity!
I'm all about more physical components in Uni rides, but in this case, there's a giant fire-breathing dragon atop of Gringotts :lol:

Reactions: Mad Dog
Plus one in FJ also. That could have been a bit redundant to put another non screen one in Gringotts.
I agree.

The way I see it, the only thing in Gringotts that would have been better as AAs is the trolls who swing your cart around and Voldemort's snakes. We have enough Potter dragons elsewhere for another AA one and like I said, AAs based off celebrities rarely look good.

I agree.

The way I see it, the only thing in Gringotts that would have been better as AAs is the trolls who swing your cart around and Voldemort's snakes. We have enough Potter dragons elsewhere for another AA one and like I said, AAs based off celebrities rarely look good.

Interesting you bring up the trolls that swing your cart around as that is a scene that fascinates me as to how 3d projections work...see my first ride through was in the first cart and I wondered how it looked in the 2nd cart as one troll swings your cart while the other is just sort of there behind the 1st troll.

My 2nd ride through, I was in the 2nd cart...and there too the front troll swings your cart while there is a 2nd troll sort of behind them...if what I recall is correct, you couldn't do that with a physical set piece as two trolls would need to be there (one for each cart) as opposed to the projection giving each cart the appearance of having a troll swing them.

Maybe I am crazy, but I do recall making it a point to pay attention to that scene from both carts and I recall thinking to myself how amazing it is that two carts in different positions in front of the same screen could both perceive one troll moving the cart with another troll back behind the 1st troll.

Interesting you bring up the trolls that swing your cart around as that is a scene that fascinates me as to how 3d projections work...see my first ride through was in the first cart and I wondered how it looked in the 2nd cart as one troll swings your cart while the other is just sort of there behind the 1st troll.

My 2nd ride through, I was in the 2nd cart...and there too the front troll swings your cart while there is a 2nd troll sort of behind them...

That same function happens with each person at Tough to be a Bug at AK. The butterflies or birds (can't recall) flies in the face of each audience member. Part of how it works is that the closer a screen image comes toward the viewer, the further apart the two images are on the screen and the glasses pull them to the center.

I have wanted to look into why it works but I am nervous that the scientific answers and principles would cause my head to explode in frustration. :saywhat:

A Transformer AA could not fit in the building as is. Literally everything is on top of everything else.

Gringotts did need to be projected. Mostly because celebrity AAs never look anything like the celebrity
The Johnny Depp AA's look incredible and life like inside POTC.

Just riding Gringotts and transformers, I can say they are ultra fun, but I don't see the superiority of screens people keep championing... The 3d is still fuzzy, not exactly real-looking, and gives me the Captain EO quality vibe. I wasn't impressed with the 3D at all. But I will say 3D was needed to tell the stories believably. But if you take Gringotts, the goblins in the bank are awesome and was one of the highlights for my party for how real they looked. I would have taken more coaster elements than screens.

Transformers was fun. I would have love to seen an Avengers ride that utilized screens where you see Iron Man/Tony Stark AA before and after the ride, but yeah, I understand not having the Megatron AA because of the room issue.

But now, the realistic screen image vs wax aa argument is dead to me. These AA's by both UNI and Disney are fantastic and destroy blurred, unrealistic 3D. But screens are definitely needed to help tell certain stories. I won't hate.

kamTD5S.jpg

Just riding Gringotts and transformers, I can say they are ultra fun, but I don't see the superiority of screens people keep championing... The 3d is still fuzzy, not exactly real-looking, and gives me the Captain EO quality vibe.

I understand it's subjective but I cannot agree. Eo and the 3D quality of Gringotts/Spider-Man/Tranaformers is miles apart.

Reactions: UNIrd
I understand it's subjective but I cannot agree. Eo and the 3D quality of Gringotts/Spider-Man/Tranaformers is miles apart.
My EO comparison is that no matter the difference in projections of the two, the 3D effect is still standard. Its not realistic, just a face artificially coming out of the screen. Nothing making me say Wow! I'm just not impressed with the 3D quality.

My EO comparison is that no matter the difference in projections of the two, the 3D effect is still standard. Its not realistic, just a face artificially coming out of the screen. Nothing making me say Wow! I'm just not impressed with the 3D quality.

Really? I think Gringotts has plenty of wow moments and blends set and screen better than any other attraction I've ever seen.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Is their anything other than the snake that breaks the 3D wall and passes into peoples faces in Gringotts? (guess) The whole attraction looks amazing to me in 2D. I doubt I'm wrong. I just wish it was twice as long.

The trolls look like they are grabbing out at you and the water splashing back pops out. But it more so does a really good job of giving depth vs poping out.

Is their anything other than the snake that breaks the 3D wall and passes into peoples faces in Gringotts? (guess) The whole attraction looks amazing to me in 2D. I doubt I'm wrong. I just wish it was twice as long.

Twice as long, slightly slower paced, and some rock work to disguise the top of the big screens and it would easily be my favorite. There's not a lot of pop out of the screen in Gringotts mostly because you're too close to the screens most of the time.

Anyway, best effect is:

After Bellatrix pushes you out of the vault into the final scene her and Voldemort fly overhead to get in front of you again, leaving a smoke trail that very much looks like it's above you in the room.