The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 258 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I speculate it’s closer to 100.

A&D is about 15 people by itself. Let’s say 5 people each know in Make-up, Costuming, and Tech know within Entertainment. That brings us to 30. Outside of Entertainment, Legal, elements of Marketing know (so another 10), and executive management knows/has access to the line up. So, there’s probably around 50 within Universal.

But... Universal only works with 2-3 companies for builds, and those organizations chat. So, the foremen likely know the lineup, and some of their workers will know. So, let’s say, 60 from there.

Then, there’s chatter. A&D and Creative will chat, so people in Creative will know. Family members will know.

I’m expecting closer to 100.

I guess I didn't specify my speculation is just for this particular year. You don't believe that it's less than 50 TRULY know what's going on during this pandemic? I feel like things are rapidly changing and while some of the outliers know what's going on at any given time, I would think that only the core know right now, especially since most build docs have been put on hold.

Ordinarily, I would say over 100, but this year is much different. Not arguing, just a thought.

To add to 2001, even with the changes the event had (Eddie replaced by Jack, blood turned to green ooze, any reference of "Terror" removed so "TerrorLand" became "Scary Tales"), I also recall hearing from multiple people that 2001 was very successful for HHN, so much so that it's one of the reasons the parks were making a profit while others took a loss.

Never underestimate the need for a escape when people can get it. HHN is a escape for a lot of people.
Additionally, Howl-O-Scream was fantastic as well in 2001

OK Y'all - since the question keeps being brought up each week; make sure you bookmark, favorite, or save this post for later whenever someone else decides to ask so you can refer them to it.

Will HHN 30 be canceled by COVID? It's too early to tell, but probably not. Information is changing daily, and we're seemingly on a downward trend than what was expected. I know there is a contingency plan in place in case we get to that point, as any smart business should have set for the rest of the year - but it is not expected. We're a little over 5 months out and a lot can change. Hell, things have changed from last week so...

Bottom line: I would anticipate HHN happening. Will there be impacts? Probably, yes. You'll probably see pulsing done. Less SIF (stuff in face). It's also possible you could see fewer actors in the streets.

This is an unprecedented time for all, especially the parks. They are taking it one day at a time, just like us. While it's scary to have so much up in the air, we shouldn't let the default response become the most severe.

While I'm disappointed that we won't be able to have SIF, the likelihood of pulsed houses makes up for that. SIF was a way for them to come up with scares that accommodated a conga line. Well, if they're able to pulse houses, that opens up plenty of scares that weren't available before...or at least, were there but not anywhere near as effective. :)

Everyone talks about 2001 as the year HHN got drastically toned down and changed. People refer to it as a year a tragedy turned the event into something different.
Having gone that so-called toned down year, I can tell you that simply just wasn't the case.

We were all at 22 when a house got cut....And 2008/09 when the parks weren't doing so well. Yet, the core of HHN wasn't really affected

I say that to hopefully encourage some folks who are genuinely concerned. HHN has gone through budget restraints, changes, and toning down before. And honestly, I didn't even notice.

The event will be fine.

Yeah, I read a very brief description of the original Scary Tales. Seemed plenty gory to me.

To add to 2001, even with the changes the event had (Eddie replaced by Jack, blood turned to green ooze, any reference of "Terror" removed so "TerrorLand" became "Scary Tales"), I also recall hearing from multiple people that 2001 was very successful for HHN, so much so that it's one of the reasons the parks were making a profit while others took a loss.

Never underestimate the need for a escape when people can get it. HHN is a escape for a lot of people.

Exactly! Horror provides much needed catharsis, which is why I don't buy the "they need to tone it down because of the virus" argument. One or two family friendly houses is fine and dandy, but everything being toned down to match = no catharsis.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I guess I didn't specify my speculation is just for this particular year. You don't believe that it's less than 50 TRULY know what's going on during this pandemic? I feel like things are rapidly changing and while some of the outliers know what's going on at any given time, I would think that only the core know right now, especially since most build docs have been put on hold.

Ordinarily, I would say over 100, but this year is much different. Not arguing, just a thought.
If the build docs are on hold, that's news to me. Construction and rigging in still occurring for the event.

Last edited:
Exactly! Horror provides much needed catharsis, which is why I don't buy the "they need to tone it down because of the virus" argument. One or two family friendly houses is fine and dandy, but everything being toned down to match = no catharsis.

Unless there was content that directly related to a virus/pandemic or even a hospital setting - I'm not expecting an event wide tone cutback a la post-9/11. At this point, the only discussion that's fair is "will it or won't it?"

On a different topic from what the missing IP's could be, I just thought: Could Legendary Truth be the anniversary house this year? LT has a research base set up in Carey, and are sending out a field team to go to all the past locations of paranormal activity and murders.

Reactions: Ajstriker26
While I understand the desire for pulsing queues, it'd be really hard to pull off at this event. Howl O Scream tried it back in 2017 and all it did was slow you down from catching up the people ahead of you by 30 seconds.

Reactions: Victoria
This is pure speculation, but in addition to pulsing, I imagine virtual queues are probably going to be used like Disney is supposedly planning for whenever they reopen. Capacity is going to be cut down by pulsing, so you might as well have people riding rides and buying alcohol in the streets while they wait.

This is pure speculation, but in addition to pulsing, I imagine virtual queues are probably going to be used like Disney is supposedly planning for whenever they reopen. Capacity is going to be cut down by pulsing, so you might as well have people riding rides and buying alcohol in the streets while they wait.

.....um.... so.... they'll be standing next to each other doing that instead of standing next to each other in line. Uh huh....

Thank you. Since 25’s big leak everyone is expecting a full reveal ASAP and want to be the first to report it to their friends or followers.

It’s made these threads completely miserable EXCEPT the past few pages have gotten more fun, more “old school” than before. I like it and it’s FUN again.

And 25 should have taught us the lesson that nothing is confirmed until announced!

as someone who has never had an experience at hhn that didn’t consist of a congo line, i’m personally excited for the possibility of pulsated crowds. i don’t care if it makes the lines longer; it’ll be better for both the crowd and the actors. i also have a feeling that the staff will be a lot more prepared and better trained than last year for this exact reason.

my biggest concern is no longer if it’s happening, but if i’ll be able to make it. the sold-out stadium concert i got tickets for got postponed indefinitely, so it’ll probably get rescheduled for september or october...better start saving!

as someone who has never had an experience at hhn that didn’t consist of a congo line, i’m personally excited for the possibility of pulsated crowds. i don’t care if it makes the lines longer; it’ll be better for both the crowd and the actors. i also have a feeling that the staff will be a lot more prepared and better trained than last year for this exact reason.
:lol:

Like HHN “training” is actually any good. It’s a couple of hours of practice, then throwing you to the wolves.

my biggest concern is no longer if it’s happening, but if i’ll be able to make it. the sold-out stadium concert i got tickets for got postponed indefinitely, so it’ll probably get rescheduled for september or october...better start saving!

Once again, it's not like they pulsed until 2012, contrary to people on the Facebook page acting like they did. :rolleyes:

There's no conceivable way there will be "pulsing" in the mazes, queues, and zones.

Have we forgotten how this event operates? It's about scare actors getting as close to you as reasonably possible. People will move unpredictably and run away. People will drink and forget. There already isn't enough queue space, much less enough to accommodate six feet between parties.

If we're actually enforcing some level of stringent social distancing by the fall, the event is far more likely to just not happen.

i feel like the only real way that herds and crowds will be prevented is if they completely slash the number of tickets available for certain nights, but i feel like they’d rather just cancel the event all together than do that

I can do without the SIF personally. I get the HHN flu every year after the first weekend.

Like I said, it's unfortunate because I think it's such a great way to do scares while adapting for a conga line. It allows for some creativity. Remember the crow attack hallway in Scarecrow?

But not a whole lot they can do obviously. I still am hoping for one house that tries something (fairly) new, whatever that may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.