The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 265 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if I've missed this, but is the rumor that there will be a house inside Cafe La Bamba? Or that there will be a house ENTRANCE here - with it possibly going back behind ET to help with the cluster of the two parade buildings?

I have no clue what the inside of Cafe La Bamba is like - but from the aerials it looks rather small.

Sorry if I've missed this, but is the rumor that there will be a house inside Cafe La Bamba? Or that there will be a house ENTRANCE here - with it possibly going back behind ET to help with the cluster of the two parade buildings?

I have no clue what the inside of Cafe La Bamba is like - but from the aerials it looks rather small.
A House INSIDE Cafe La Bamba.

Sorry if I've missed this, but is the rumor that there will be a house inside Cafe La Bamba?

Sprung tents = 5000 sq ft
MIB Tent = 5700 sq ft

That‘s “total area” though. The Sprungs always have a three-four foot perimeter around the actual build for emergency egress and performer movement (my “Beetlejuice Does Hollywood” house layout was built from a couple of sprung layouts, and includes it). That puts actual house space (with Decor, Audio, and Lighting closets) closer to 4,000 sq ft.

And my calculation for La Bamba is at about 9,000 sq ft (using Google Earth). Even if we split the difference to 7,000 and say 2,500 sq ft isn’t available... there’s still room.

The houses take up less space than it looks like when you’re inside them.

I figured rather than having you go back 100+ pages, I would pull @Legacy 's estimates for you @Brad . I hope this helps you and gets anyone who has not read back through the entire conversation up to date

Oof, I would miss the numbers
I remember hearing several years ago that HHN and various other events are the only time that Universal Orlando profits, since they re-invest their daily ops money into developing new attractions/parks etc. Is that not the case anymore?

Not anymore. I've heard it said, and I probably wouldn't doubt it, that most of the new construction up until last year was purely paid for with Butterbeer money.

Reactions: Grabnar
I figured rather than having you go back 100+ pages, I would pull @Legacy 's estimates for you @Brad . I hope this helps you and gets anyone who has not read back through the entire conversation up to date
Thanks so much for this - and my apologies for not going back 100 pages :cheers:. I also would not have thought the MIB tent was larger than the two Sprung tents (although not by too much).

Will definitely be interesting to see them build something here, considering every other house in recent memory has been in a large open building (Shrek having to get creative in the pre-show area toward the beginning / end of houses there). What have been some "unique" house locations in the past? (I can remember the Vampyr house in NYC, Jaws queue, disaster queue, etc.)

Reactions: londonwerecat
@Legacy I remember you broke down a rough estimate of the costs to create HHN and then to operate the event (At some point on last year’s thread I think).

I’m just curious, I seem to recall you saying each house probably comes out to about $1M to construct/create, does that seem about right? (That could be way off, I don’t remember well.)

@Legacy I remember you broke down a rough estimate of the costs to create HHN and then to operate the event (At some point on last year’s thread I think).

I’m just curious, I seem to recall you saying each house probably comes out to about $1M to construct/create, does that seem about right? (That could be way off, I don’t remember well.)
It’s a very rough estimate, but yeah, I calculate it at between $600,000 and $1m a house. That’s just from my own math though.

It’s a very rough estimate, but yeah, I calculate it at between $600,000 and $1m a house. That’s just from my own math though.

So given the cost of each house I'd assume that if the event was cancelled or post-poned this year they'd hold onto everything for whenever they can open back up?

Reactions: Kadath
How much would you estimate per scare zone?
Depends entirely on how much is custom built. Not including in-house labor, I’d wager anywhere from $10k-$75k.

But, again, I don’t have receipts or anything. My math is based on understanding construction costs and the amount of building requirements for the event. It’s very likely I’m overestimating since I don’t know what sort of deals Universal gets through bulk contracting/purchases.

So given the cost of each house I'd assume that if the event was cancelled or post-poned this year they'd hold onto everything for whenever they can open back up?

They're probably making plans right now for this contingency, but it really depends. Houses in the tents can stay up from one year to the next. The parade building houses cause issues as those are needed for the floats and work done on them. Soundstages are trickier as it depends on bookings and events. It's possible that if there's a shortage of filming and contingencies are made for the parade buildings the event could be mothballed for a year.

Depends entirely on how much is custom built. Not including in-house labor, I’d wager anywhere from $10k-$75k.

But, again, I don’t have receipts or anything. My math is based on understanding construction costs and the amount of building requirements for the event. It’s very likely I’m overestimating since I don’t know what sort of deals Universal gets through bulk contracting/purchases.

That's just raw labor and materials, right? So it doesn't include overhead (staff, power, etc), designing, licenses, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.