The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 422 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's the budget so much as wearing a mask, staying six feet, and who knows what else they may do.

Being able to have a normal, or at least closer to it, event. Or whenever they can.

Having a smaller budget doesn't NECESSARILY mean a worse event, provided they're allowed more creative freedom. I could see fewer houses in the following years, which I'm perfectly okay with. Less effects/scare tactics you have to use = more time you can go without using them = easier to make them feel fresh.

Last edited:
I don't think it's the budget so much as wearing a mask, staying six feet, and who knows what else they may do.
Right. Something that some people can’t get through their heads is that this year has to have adjustments made. Some of y’all have to accept the fact that this year will be done differently but hey at least we are still getting an event! It also doesn’t change the fact that the budget for this years houses is insane and they are a solid group of houses. Every single one of them. You’re looking at a year of houses like 21 where its gonna be hard to pick a favorite.
But anyways the main point is.. You either wear your mask and attend the event or you can watch the houses on Youtube.

I’m in a state of acceptance. Best to save it til next year when they can (hopefully) go all out with the event IMO.

On a completely different and random note, one that popped into my head, does anyone think that a factor in not doing a full Terra Cruentes house was not being allowed to use Midnight Syndicate anymore? If you go back and look at the website and wiki, their music was a HUGE part of that year, of telling the story. Honestly, how would an entire TC house feel without MS music for its respective scenes? I guess they could’ve just done a Demon Cantina house and a throne scarezone, since the former was more reliant on rock music from what I can tell.
Considering no one on the current creative side of the design team was there in 2005, music availability wouldn’t be a factor.

They’re not doing a “full Terra Cruentes” thing because, for whatever reason, enough decision makers didn’t want to. That could be because they didn’t want to go through the effort of reintroducing the lore, or because they weren’t interested enough in the concept to revisit it. It is what it is.

Considering no one on the current creative side of the design team was there in 2005, music availability wouldn’t be a factor.

They’re not doing a “full Terra Cruentes” thing because, for whatever reason, enough decision makers didn’t want to. That could be because they didn’t want to go through the effort of reintroducing the lore, or because they weren’t interested enough in the concept to revisit it. It is what it is.

If one of the anni houses is all about Carey, as hinted, I'm at least grateful they still care about having some sort of lore.

When was the earliest any of the current team joined?

Reading Legacy's comments about the Theatre coupled with the fact that some people thought it was mannequins, makes me wonder how this would work. Having NOTHING to do with theatre in any way, shape, or form, I have no idea what goes on backstage. Are the costumes and stuff developed/assembled on mannequins or something? I know they have behind the curtain, maybe trap doors or something for stage affects, lighting rigs, changing rooms, makeup mirrors, etc. But is there something where dummies/mannequins/ye olde tyme busts are used? Lots of shows probably use marionettes/puppets for on stage creatures, just like HHN uses in houses, so guessing some of them could be stored offstage and thereby part of the house?

I believe @Legacy indicated mannequins might not, in fact, be involved in any grand capacity

If one of the anni houses is all about Carey, as hinted, I'm at least grateful they still care about having some sort of lore.

When was the earliest any of the current team joined?
Joined A&D? Lora has been there for ages, but she’s not involved in the creative side anymore. I think Jason joined A&D as an Assistant director around 2006. Patrick got there 2007, I believe.

Joined A&D? Lora has been there for ages, but she’s not involved in the creative side anymore. I think Jason joined A&D as an Assistant director around 2006. Patrick got there 2007, I believe.

I remember reading (from you, I think) that there were big changes in A&D after 2005.

Reading Legacy's comments about the Theatre coupled with the fact that some people thought it was mannequins, makes me wonder how this would work. Having NOTHING to do with theatre in any way, shape, or form, I have no idea what goes on backstage. Are the costumes and stuff developed/assembled on mannequins or something? I know they have behind the curtain, maybe trap doors or something for stage affects, lighting rigs, changing rooms, makeup mirrors, etc. But is there something where dummies/mannequins/ye olde tyme busts are used? Lots of shows probably use marionettes/puppets for on stage creatures, just like HHN uses in houses, so guessing some of them could be stored offstage and thereby part of the house?

Yeah, the mannequins part could just be a scene. In costume design, wig design, and costume and wig storage, mannequins are very often used. Also, the marionette/puppet thing is a great idea!

I’m in a state of acceptance. Best to save it til next year when they can (hopefully) go all out with the event IMO.

On a completely different and random note, one that popped into my head, does anyone think that a factor in not doing a full Terra Cruentes house was not being allowed to use Midnight Syndicate anymore? If you go back and look at the website and wiki, their music was a HUGE part of that year, of telling the story. Honestly, how would an entire TC house feel without MS music for its respective scenes? I guess they could’ve just done a Demon Cantina house and a throne scarezone, since the former was more reliant on rock music from what I can tell.

When did they stop using Midnight Syndicate? Was there some kind of dispute or just lost the rights?

Honestly seeing how the event has changed for so long, I feel like they see it as a huge disservice to grow and evolve the event and elevate to other places, I mean of course, it will cause a huge debate between people who whether or not want something to come or not but that will not stop them from achieving what they would bring the event to the next level. I don't think they find it the Terra Cruentas and Terra Queen satisfying to bring back but its sort of "Why go back when we are going forward"
type thing you know. It's great to homage the past in some small ways but not many current fans remember 2005, I started in 2006 and heard about from my brother and word of mouth but I was so impressed by the past years that I appreciate them for happening and they should be in the past and brought back in some small ways here and there but definitely keep the event moving forward and bringing in new and fresher ideas. Of course, these past years have been hits and misses because every year there is a diversity in the houses and zones and shows. This year honestly is no different. I'm just gonna be happy that it just happens even if it's not what its expected to be, I'm still glad that it happens in some form of way.

Reactions: HHNObsession
I had no idea Laura wasn’t involved anymore. I thought she still worked on scarezones and stepped up to do more after mike’s promotion.
She’s still in A&D, she just deals predominantly with its administrative functions (personnel and funding). Her and Jason are basically co-heads of the department. Jason is focused on creative, Lora on logistics.

Honestly seeing how the event has changed for so long, I feel like they see it as a huge disservice to grow and evolve the event and elevate to other places, I mean of course, it will cause a huge debate between people who whether or not want something to come or not but that will not stop them from achieving what they would bring the event to the next level. I don't think they find it the Terra Cruentas and Terra Queen satisfying to bring back but its sort of "Why go back when we are going forward"
type thing you know. It's great to homage the past in some small ways but not many current fans remember 2005, I started in 2006 and heard about from my brother and word of mouth but I was so impressed by the past years that I appreciate them for happening and they should be in the past and brought back in some small ways here and there but definitely keep the event moving forward and bringing in new and fresher ideas. Of course, these past years have been hits and misses because every year there is a diversity in the houses and zones and shows. This year honestly is no different. I'm just gonna be happy that it just happens even if it's not what its expected to be, I'm still glad that it happens in some form of way.

And going forward, TBF, was what I wanted to see them do for 30. One, MAYBE two throwback houses, but aside from that, my wish was for innovative new ideas—the main reason I’m okay with Billie showing up.

Last edited:
And going forward, TBF, was what I wanted to see them do for 30. My wish was one, MAYBE two throwback houses, but aside from that, my wish was for innovative new ideas—the main reason I’m okay with Billie showing up.
But that's the thing, it's going into this year whether the plans were full speed again or not, I don't think this year was going to be the anniversary anybody was expecting, there was a lot of hype behind it that people started to notice a lot of stuff was going to be what they weren't going to be intended, this year would have or is going to be another mixed view year for people and Universal and most creative and etc. pay attention to that and understand peoples' opinions and stuff and in some way it may change things and other ways it will not. If ips are what are selling the tickets and drawing crowds that is what they are going to do, of course, it will not stop them from making originals because that is something for them that comes from the heart of A&D and creative. We just gotta wait and see, I mean the line up looks interesting the more I look at it and I see it as being a pretty alright event until it happens, right now it seems ehhhh but when they kickstart the event, everyone will see it and probably love it in some way, shape or form.

I think it was at the 2017 media event I believe and there was a question had said about Bill & Ted for the Farewell Tour and why they did wait for 27 to end B&T and Patrick Brillard explained as honestly as he could, the event is everchanging and it's subjective as well, and people will have different opinions. Also, it would become a debate topic whether or not Bill & Ted should have stayed when 28, 29, and 30 occurred, but they felt that they would be giving a huge disservice to fans of the event if they do not constantly evolve and elevate as an event.

I see that with the anniversary years, it will be great to give the icons their due and love and respect and homage but also kicking in the door for the new things they want to bring to the event and have people love and appreciate it and there will be things people will not like and if they see that, they know they tried something that may have been effective this time around but the following year or so they'll work on it. Honestly, I just see them trying their best to appeal to all, not only to diehards but newcomers and such and I totally understand that.

Last edited:
I know its for Hollywood and not necessarily Orlando but an account on Instagram has posted some pictures of Hollywood's facades being built and speculated what they could be.

Reactions: londonwerecat
Seeing the construction photo of the front facade, one of the constructions, it looks like they'll get the Leatherface house facade for TCM, I wonder if that other one that looks like the Creepshow facade last year could be for Beetlejuice, someone had posted a fan idea of what if the facade could be the cover of the Handbook of the Deceased, would be cool and see what kind of lighting effects they'd add to it as they did with Creepshows' last year.

Reactions: londonwerecat
I know the term mannequin has been nixed largely, however, just thought I would pop in as a resident theater kid.

In terms of traditional uses of mannequins in the theater, there are a couple of things that come to mind.:
Dress forms and mannequins are used for draping and developing costumes pieces off of.
In lieu of using human actors for hours on end, sometimes lighting designers will use mannequins to program lighting queues for a scene, as they just need a stand-in for a human form.

Other than that, I do also have to say one of the most prominent shows to feature mannequins is actually Phantom of the Opera, both in the fake "mannequin" (actually a real actress) of Christine in the Phantom's lair, and the half dozen or so masquerade figures on the grand staircase to fill out the scene during the Act II opener.

Also, take a shot for every time I said the word "mannequin"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.