The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 124 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from treatments and conceptual stuff, very little is created in-house

As someone who has wanted to design at Horror Nights for years, this is kind of disappointing. Are concept art, layouts, and elevations done in-house or is that third party too?

Reactions: Kadath
As someone who has wanted to design at Horror Nights for years, this is kind of disappointing. Are concept art, layouts, and elevations done in-house or is that third party too?
Concept art and layouts, I believe are done in house (to a degree—I don’t think it’s 100%). Elevations are mostly free-lance. Elevations are the bulk of the work, though. Every wall gets one.

From my understanding the designs are all done in-house but the main build-outs are done via 3rd-party while finishing touches are done by the in-house team(s).

From my understanding the designs are all done in-house but the main build-outs are done via 3rd-party while finishing touches are done by the in-house team(s).
Again, most elevations are farmed out. A number of A&D’s “in-house” positions that support HHN are somewhat seasonal as well. Initial builds, to include primary decor (what the walls look like) is contracted (Entertainment doesn’t have a robust in-house build team). In-house Decor/Scenic manages everything that isn’t part of the elevations—furniture, props, stuff-in-face, etc—and detailing.

Reactions: Ebuilder and Kadath
I want to address something else on this. And I recognize it’s a double-post, but feel it serves well as a stand-alone post.

Freelancers still “design” HHN. A number have been offered direct positions into A&D (and Creative) based on the freelance work they’ve done.

There’s an important element to art that you need to remember: it requires both conceptualizing and executing. With regards to A&D, coming up with concepts are the bulk of what the “main players” do. Executing it requires a couple thousand images to be produced, though. THAT’S what the freelancers produce. It’s too much work for four guys to do themselves. They farm it out.

Depending on what your specific dream is, freelancing might be the easiest way to get your foot in the door.

I want to address something else on this. And I recognize it’s a double-post, but feel it serves well as a stand-alone post.

Freelancers still “design” HHN. A number have been offered direct positions into A&D (and Creative) based on the freelance work they’ve done.

There’s an important element to art that you need to remember: it requires both conceptualizing and executing. With regards to A&D, coming up with concepts are the bulk of what the “main players” do. Executing it requires a couple thousand images to be produced, though. THAT’S what the freelancers produce. It’s too much work for four guys to do themselves. They farm it out.

Depending on what your specific dream is, freelancing might be the easiest way to get your foot in the door.

Im gonna take back my cynicism from my last post and say that's actually inspiring not disappointing. I feel a bit like a jackass now, I didn't mean to undermine the work of anybody. Its all very inspiring stuff, freelance or otherwise.

Im gonna take back my cynicism from my last post and say that's actually inspiring not disappointing. I feel a bit like a jackass now, I didn't mean to undermine the work of anybody. Its all very inspiring stuff, freelance or otherwise.
There’s no need to take it back. It was an honest statement that, I think, represents how a lot of people interpret the way HHN operates. I’ve only started getting a true sense how much they freelance in the last three-four years. I’ll also freely admit the houses I’ve been developing and posting to my website are intended as a pseudo portfolio. Because that’s how you get freelance work.

Your statement allows this discussion. I actually appreciate it because something educational can come out of it.

Well, since late March is still a ways away, allow me to ask: how do you make a scary house? As in, what is the anatomy of what people will find scary? I ask that because I found all the originals this year to be up to what HHN should be in terms of scary, but clearly I'm in a minority.

(Another thread about family friendliness on the FB page.)

Reactions: Verdicoshna
Well, since late March is still a ways away, allow me to ask: how do you make a scary house? As in, what is the anatomy of what people will find scary? I ask that because I found all the originals this year to be up to what HHN should be in terms of scary, but clearly I'm in a minority.

(Another thread about family friendliness on the FB page.)

For me scary is all about the feel or tone of the house. The creepier and more immersive it is, the more likely I am to be on edge a little going through it.

Graveyard games was an example- the spooky graveyard setting, and the dark tunnel with the children’s voices, that was probably the “scariest” house for me.

For my daughter, it’s all about the jump scares and the creatures doing them- she found yeti to be one of the scariest for her, due mainly to size of the yeti.

I was frightened by many of the yeti, but I mostly thought that house was really well themed and really cool. One of my favorites, but I didn’t find it overly scary as a house, outside of the fact that jump scares are scary. But the theming of graveyard games was such that I loved that too but found myself hurrying through it.

For some others, a spider house would destroy them. For some, a snake house.

I think it’s a bit individual. Maybe they design for what “most” people find scary?

I've worked in haunted houses and I've gone to enough that I just don't get really scared anymore. However, to make a house scary is to combine different effects to create a sense of uneasiness. Like the post above me, Graveyard Games was a great example of this. The room with the children, the effects of the candles being blown out, etc. It was all so well done.

I think it's different strokes for different folks but the scariest haunted houses for me are pretty dark and give you a sense of being lost or unable to know which way to go through darkness, flashing lights, smoke, dark corridors, mirrors mazes.. etc.... Also for me is when the houses are quiet for a while building tension and then something loud happens and jumps out at you... I feel like that tension building is paramount for me personally. Based on the above I don't really feel that HHN houses really have the chance to enter that upper tier of "scary" houses because of the conga line, ops workers showing you which way to go, extremely loud and chaotic nature of most of the houses. I still think they do a great job of making the houses extremely atmospheric and look fantastic and they def get some good jump scares in, but they don't ever give me the sense of dread that a less attended, well executed, longer, standalone haunted house will give.

This is kind of why I never really complain about the houses not being "scary" I think they are great for what they are, but just by the nature of the beast they never are going to hit me like other houses which are 20+ minutes long and pulse the line. It's kind of like apples and oranges.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grabnar and Kadath
I think it's different strokes for different folks but the scariest haunted houses for me are pretty dark and give you a sense of being lost or unable to know which way to go through darkness, flashing lights, smoke, dark corridors, mirrors mazes.. etc.... Also for me is when the houses are quiet for a while building tension and then something loud happens and jumps out at you... I feel like that tension building is paramount for me personally. Based on the above I don't really feel that HHN houses really have the chance to enter that upper tier of "scary" houses because of the conga line, ops workers showing you which way to go, extremely loud and chaotic nature of most of the houses. I still think they do a great job of making the houses extremely atmospheric and look fantastic and they def get some good jump scares in, but they don't ever give me the sense of dread that a less attended, well executed, longer, standalone haunted house will give.

This is kind of why I never really complain about the houses not being "scary" I think they are great for what they are, but just by the nature of the beast they never are going to hit me like other houses which are 20+ minutes long and pulse the line. It's kind of like apples and oranges.
This.

I also think HHN’s success has “broken” Central Floridian’s perceptions of what a “good” haunt is. I’ve used the metaphor before—HHN is the Apple of haunts to everyone else’s Android. What Universal has in polish, everyone else has in creativity and intensity.

There’s also an added depth of terror walking through a place that may or may not fall within safety regulations. Want a pitch black hallway, with an uneven floor and shock wires on the walls? Find a regional haunt. HHN ain’t doing that.

Last edited:
For me scary is all about the feel or tone of the house. The creepier and more immersive it is, the more likely I am to be on edge a little going through it.

Graveyard games was an example- the spooky graveyard setting, and the dark tunnel with the children’s voices, that was probably the “scariest” house for me.

For my daughter, it’s all about the jump scares and the creatures doing them- she found yeti to be one of the scariest for her, due mainly to size of the yeti.

I was frightened by many of the yeti, but I mostly thought that house was really well themed and really cool. One of my favorites, but I didn’t find it overly scary as a house, outside of the fact that jump scares are scary. But the theming of graveyard games was such that I loved that too but found myself hurrying through it.

For some others, a spider house would destroy them. For some, a snake house.

I think it’s a bit individual. Maybe they design for what “most” people find scary?

Yup, atmosphere and imagery are what you rely on if you have the logistical situation HHN does.

Designing a monster is extremely risky (yes I’m still bitter about people not liking my two favorites lol)—that’s why I came up with an idea for a house in which you’re being hunted by a monster you can’t see until the finale, which would rely in large part on black sound tunnels like GG, plus air and water.

Last edited:
Off topic for this particular thread so I do apologize, but I watched Dr. Sleep for the first time on Friday. Not a bad movie overall I'd say. Incredibly long and somewhat unnecessary, but overall I actually enjoyed it. Awesome how they were able to recreate the Overlook Hotel scenes so precisely. Part of me wishes they were able to incorporate Jack Nicholson into it, either via CGI or voice over, but I get he's old now and it would take a lot to make it realistic. Recommended if you haven't seen it yet.

Also a bit offtopic but do you think HHN 30 will have a bigger Budget die to being an anniversary year? I know its to early to really nail it down. Same goes for Icon or traditional anniversary stuff. But based on recent years (20,25 etc.) what do you think?

Also a bit offtopic but do you think HHN 30 will have a bigger Budget die to being an anniversary year? I know its to early to really nail it down. Same goes for Icon or traditional anniversary stuff. But based on recent years (20,25 etc.) what do you think?
They will likely have a bigger budget, but not specifically because it’s an anniversary year.

The budget is based on proposed IPs/rights purchases, a year-specific requirements (custom masks/effects/set pieces), and personnel needs. It’s not a locked in amount that is static from year to year.

just wondering are the clues still valid or are we waiting to see if things become more clear to start saying rumors again?

just wondering are the clues still valid or are we waiting to see if things become more clear to start saying rumors again?
All the clues are valid. I'm doing clues for rumors.

Now, it'll be several more weeks until we (I) know for sure which rumors are valid. I haven't posted anymore clues simply because I haven't felt like it. Part of me wants to wait until you solve the Pie clue. Ya'll have gotten agonizing close a couple of times.

They will likely have a bigger budget, but not specifically because it’s an anniversary year.

The budget is based on proposed IPs/rights purchases, a year-specific requirements (custom masks/effects/set pieces), and personnel needs. It’s not a locked in amount that is static from year to year.
Is it safe to say the budget increases every year? You think it ever decreases or stays the same?

Is it safe to say the budget increases every year? You think it ever decreases or stays the same?
Don't know. My gut says it fluctuates.

Think about it, Carnival Graveyard was likely a cheaper house. It required less build-out than any other house that year because it was mostly cleverly placed props. I think XX had a lower budget than 19 because it didn't require any IPs, reused a bunch of costumes, and Havoc just required a repaint from Spawning. It all depends.

Status
Not open for further replies.