The Old KidZone Thread | Page 56 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old KidZone Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, how many more posts do you need to provide to show that you do not like that Universal operates the ET Adventure in Orlando?

'Heard you loud and clear 10 posts earlier. You don't like it.

All I can say for myself on this thread as a reason I would like to see Universal refurbish and modernize the ET IP is that no one in the last 70+ pages, especially those who are so strong in their convictions, have proposed a better IP to warrant Universal's investment in a change-out. If I am a decision maker at Universal I am first looking to:

1) Establish a budget for that location

2) Estimate what the organization would demand they see achieved, based on that budget, in both

Tangible metric targets (direct-benefits) such as ridership, merchandise sales, and the depreciable scheme of some of the assets

Intangibles brought forth as a value-add (indirect-benefits) sales marketability for the Resort experience, longevity/shelf-life, and impact on the overall growth in park attendance

3) With the budget and expectations established, determine if

a modern ET IP with Spielberg's legacy, the Universal legacy, the Williams Score, the appeal to 21st century families, can be executed well-enough under the budget conditions to execute and achieve the direct & indirect benefits "expected"

-or-

a new topical, internal or external IP, with its own associated up front costs, can execute under its own budget conditions for it to execute and achieve..........

--

Opinions matter, and you certainly have yours. Opinions do weigh on their analysis, so your thoughts are heard as much as mine are. I just think Universal will have a hard time justifying a budget based on what we all know their generic expectations of success are if they trade out ET for a Spongebob or a Smurf. It makes no business sense in the least to just go for some passing fad, or worse, something already on its way out just because a subset of the park demo sees ET as lame.. See Disney/MGM, Who wants to be a Millionaire, Narnia, American Idol.

No ride is sacred, we all saw that with Jaws. When it comes to additions and replacements, I think they are dead-on right 90% of the time. Far better track record since 1989 than Disney has had. Disney does well by always keeping some classics around, and Universal should also recognize the risks they take on in removing a classic for a new IP that is not necessarily time tested. Universal has seen success from emulating the old Disney playbook from the past. If they replace ET, I am sure they will have a great plan, I just think it will be a harder and smarter choice than the discussion on this thread reflects. My Little Pony? Dora? Spongebob? umm...

Quite honestly Im shocked you took that much time to find all of those posts because they are quite spread out. And to be honest this isn't my first debate against the masses when it comes to this topic in this thread.

And another thing is that you must not have been paying much attention to mine or others posts about what could go there. I, on many different occasions have suggested a trackless spongebob ride through bikini bottom that the entire family can enjoy. No more thrilling than ET but a little more recognizable with today's kids and a guaranteed IP to last quite some more time regardless of how we adults feel the IP is doing nowadays. Dora and Spongebob are two of the most recognizable characters among little kids. My little pony is as well but just wouldnt translate well into a transgender environment. Others have mentioned HTTYD, the croods, madagascar etc etc...while there are licensing agreements that have issues with them you certainly cant say that people have not offered genuinely good ideas for this land. So before you accuse or rant, I suggest gaining more info on the actual conversation here, which in my mind, is a dang good one. I enjoy discussing this even if people dont like that I hate the beloved ET. Oh well.

I honestly would be VERY interested in a survey of children of who their preferred character is or atleast if they know the characters. Just to see where today's mainstream is. Because thats what matters in business terms...whats hot today.

- - - Updated - - -

Shrek opened up around the same time as Nicktoon Blast as well.

Ahh, I forgot! But still, two very minor rides when compared to the likes of the mummy.

From a creative perspective, a SpongeBob dark ride would be great, but from a long-term business perspective, it would be terrible.

The problem with any of the Nickelodeon properties (besides TMNT) is that they all have limited shelf life, due to the way Nick runs their network. Once they decide to end one of their shows, they briefly give the show some re-runs, but then pull it off the network and eventually pretend like it never existed. That's why I brought up the Rugrats comparison earlier. It was Nickelodeon's golden goose in the 90's and was a nationwide phenomenon just like SpongeBob is currently. Now? It only airs at midnight on a failing block that's on a channel that a lot of people don't get.

Unless Nickelodeon changes their business tactics (which would be great), SpongeBob will suffer the same fate. That I can guarantee.

Sure, it's popular now, but where will it be come 2030?

(And on a sidenote, yeah, I agree My Little Pony would never have a chance at being a dark ride. When I was talking about the possibility of it coming to Universal Studios, I knew realistically that if it ever did happen it would just be something like a flat ride or two, a small store, and a M&G.)

Last edited:
OK, half the people want ET to stay and get refurbed and the other half want it gone, no debating is going to change those numbers :smiley:

Trolley is stupid to have at 40", but required for some safety concerns that won't be fixed based on the cost and time involved. So really it is a dumb ride that probably at some point will be removed (maybe when they do work for the Lorax they will look into this), because it is pointless. The target age can't ride the ride and by the time they can ride it they can ride much cooler things. I think everyone based on the posts I have seen agree to this statement.

So now, onto the what IP will go into Kidzone debate that is probably also pointless because Uni hasn't even picked an IP :lol:

Did I sum up the last 20 pages well :smiley:

I'm beginning to wonder if Universal will really have this thing done by 2016. Since insiders have apparently spilled that they negotiated with Dreamworks for HTTYD and several other of their properties, and the negotiations failed, what does that leave them with right now? Two Nickelodeon properties, Scooby-Doo, and possibly TMNT as well as a Hasbro property or two? I just can't see a lot of these things holding a KidZone together long-term.

I agree with Splatter in that Universal is probably going to wait and see with what happens in the future with potential properties before moving forward with this re-do.

OK, half the people want ET to stay and get refurbed and the other half want it gone, no debating is going to change those numbers :smiley:

Trolley is stupid to have at 40", but required for some safety concerns that won't be fixed based on the cost and time involved. So really it is a dumb ride that probably at some point will be removed (maybe when they do work for the Lorax they will look into this), because it is pointless. The target age can't ride the ride and by the time they can ride it they can ride much cooler things. I think everyone based on the posts I have seen agree to this statement.

So now, onto the what IP will go into Kidzone debate that is probably also pointless because Uni hasn't even picked an IP :lol:

Did I sum up the last 20 pages well :smiley:

Yep! :thumbs: lol well here's the likelihood of each one IMO

SpongeBob: 95% likely
Dora: 80% likely
Scooby-Doo: 70% likely
TMNT: 65% likely
MLP: 60% likely

If there's no DreamWorks, I don't what else could go in except Nintendo...

Anyways :lol: I think when they do the Seuss expansion (Lorax dark ride and maybe a show or flat ride), they'll fix Seuss Trolley and make it a real attraction that everyone can ride. How hard would it be to get new RVs that have closed doors on the sides? With the restraints they have along with doors, little ones would be perfectly safe.

Well speaking in general, one particular thing I think would be good for the KidZone is if they make it have a huge centerpiece in the back, so it draws people into the area better. Right now, a lot of people don't seem to think there's much back there.

From a creative perspective, a SpongeBob dark ride would be great, but from a long-term business perspective, it would be terrible.

The problem with any of the Nickelodeon properties (besides TMNT) is that they all have limited shelf life, due to the way Nick runs their network. Once they decide to end one of their shows, they briefly give the show some re-runs, but then pull it off the network and eventually pretend like it never existed. That's why I brought up the Rugrats comparison earlier. It was Nickelodeon's golden goose in the 90's and was a nationwide phenomenon just like SpongeBob is currently. Now? It only airs at midnight on a failing block that's on a channel that a lot of people don't get.

Unless Nickelodeon changes their business tactics (which would be great), SpongeBob will suffer the same fate. That I can guarantee.

(And on a sidenote, yeah, I agree My Little Pony would never have a chance at being a dark ride. When I was talking about the possibility of it coming to Universal Studios, I knew realistically that if it ever did happen it would just be something like a flat ride or two, a small store, and a M&G.)

Spongebob has been around for many many many years. Since the 90's I believe...in any case, more than your average Nick TV show, and it has also had astonishing popularity (sells merchandise, attracts large meet and greet crowds, etc). I could very well see Spongebob lasting into 2030, and even if it doesnt it has been around long enough to establish a solid place in pop culture, so that even when it does go away people will know it/remember it. I mean, we are talking about a park based on movies, which are over after 2 hours--we shouldnt have to worry about a show getting cancelled after several years.

Oh and on a sidenote, were you not the one defending My Little Pony to death and telling me directly it would make a great major theme park attraction and was a major possibility because of merchandise, ratings, and Universals relationship with Hasbro? yeah.......

Spongebob has been around for many many many years. Since the 90's I believe...in any case, more than your average Nick TV show, and it has also had astonishing popularity (sells merchandise, attracts large meet and greet crowds, etc). I could very well see Spongebob lasting into 2030, and even if it doesnt it has been around long enough to establish a solid place in pop culture, so that even when it does go away people will know it/remember it. I mean, we are talking about a park based on movies, which are over after 2 hours--we shouldnt have to worry about a show getting cancelled after several years.

Oh and on a sidenote, were you not the one defending My Little Pony to death and telling me directly it would make a great major theme park attraction and was a major possibility because of merchandise, ratings, and Universals relationship with Hasbro? yeah.......

Meh. That's just the way I see it. It's a bit of tricky thing to explain how Nickelodeon's brand works as a whole. They just have a way of pulling their properties out of cultural relevancy quickly. Again, the appeal of the Rugrats was identical to SpongeBob, it was around for over a decade, got 9 seasons, spawned a spin-off show, three theatrical movies, boatloads of merchandise, theme park rides, and even got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. But now Nickelodeon treats it like it never existed. When Nickelodeon is no longer getting the profit from SpongeBob that they want, I imagine they will phase it out and drop it like the Rugrats and then replace it with the next big thing. Again, it's a tricky thing to explain the whole deal with Nickelodeon, but from what I've observed, that just seems to be the case.

And I was only defending My Little Pony so much because people kept questioning it so much. :lol: I've been trying to avoid conversation on it for a while, since I realize that it was getting nowhere and it just wasn't worth arguing over anymore (apologies if that whole thing bothered you). But I would appreciate it if you don't get condescending with me over it. And it is not fair to compare Hasbro to Nickelodeon - Hasbro keeps their properties going and updates them over time. Nickelodeon simply drops them.

Yes. My Little Pony and Universal Studios. Some may see the idea of it as preposterous, but I have my reasons to believe what I believe.

But back to the point, I'd say its safe to do a SpongeBob flat ride. But I just can't see a full-fledged ride being a good idea.

Last edited:
Meh. That's just the way I see it. It's a bit of tricky thing to explain how Nickelodeon's brand works as a whole. They just have a way of pulling their properties out of cultural relevancy quickly. Again, the appeal of the Rugrats was identical to SpongeBob, it was around for over a decade, got 9 seasons, spawned a spin-off show, three theatrical movies, boatloads of merchandise, theme park rides, and even got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. But now Nickelodeon treats it like it never existed. When Nickelodeon is no longer getting the profit from SpongeBob that they want, I imagine they will phase it out and drop it like the Rugrats and then replace it with the next big thing. Again, it's a tricky thing to explain the whole deal with Nickelodeon, but from what I've observed, that just seems to be the case.

And I was only defending My Little Pony so much because people kept questioning it so much. :lol: I've been trying to avoid conversation on it for a while, since I realize that it was getting nowhere and it just wasn't worth arguing over anymore (apologies if that whole thing bothered you). And it is not fair to compare Hasbro to Nickelodeon - Hasbro keeps their properties going and updates them over time. Nickelodeon simply drops them.

I'd say its safe to do a SpongeBob flat ride. But I just can't see a full-fledged ride being a good idea.

I think SpongeBob's different from the other Nicktoons since he's become basically the mascot of Nickelodeon IMO.

Scooby Doo - Hanna Barbera
Mickey Mouse - Disney
Bugs Bunny - Looney Tunes

Those are the characters I would compare him to since so many teens today can quote the old-school (1999-2004) episodes by heart, plus even little kids today think he's cool to some degree. I think he'll be able to last till 2030 because Rugrats wasn't as universally appealing (it leaned more toward the Nick Jr. side of things) even though the early episodes (1991-1994) were on par with the early ones of SpongeBob.

He's definitely become an icon and I don't think he's just going to fade away when a 2nd movie is coming out February 2015

Every time I read this thread it looks like a list of things people want or don't want done in a kidzone revamp. Do we actually have anything concrete to talk about? Is there even a kidzone redo in the works yet or do we just wish this part of the park gets updated? Has anyone seen plans or know whats going on? Where's the sources or insider info that makes these forums great? What do we actually know besides in the next couple years this part of the part probably is going to get some sort of upgrades?

Every time I read this thread it looks like a list of things people want or don't want done in a kidzone revamp. Do we actually have anything concrete to talk about? Is there even a kidzone redo in the works yet or do we just wish this part of the park gets updated? Has anyone seen plans or know whats going on? Where's the sources or insider info that makes these forums great? What do we actually know besides in the next couple years this part of the part probably is going to get some sort of upgrades?

We don't really have anything at the moment. One insider here has said that not even Universal knows what exactly they'll be doing with the KidZone. All we know for certain right now is that it will happen by the end of the decade.

Sorry, this may have already been addressed, but couldn't they possibly utilize the space that was until recently occupied by the former Hard Rock Cafe and thus preserve at least one token attraction in Kidzone, such as ET?

:idea2: they could somehow squeeze in an entire Bikini Bottom section into that recently-opened space, complete with an indoor water ride, the Krusty Krab, and possibly a Glove World-related attraction/restaurant/something, much like they managed to do with Springfield, and at the same time not having to sacrifice any existing attractions...?

Hate to answer your question with another question, but as short as children's franchises are nowadays, are we realistically expecting KidsZone to be a stagnant property for the next 15 years? Ultimately, I think Universal would be better off wiping the slate in their 2015ish do-over of the space and then replacing attractions or IPs piecemeal every 3-5 years so the area never gets fully stale.

Last edited:
Hate to answer your question with another question, but as short as children's franchises are nowadays, are we realistically expecting KidsZone to be a stagnant property for the next 15 years? Ultimately, I think Universal would be better off wiping the slate in their 2015ish do-over of the space and then replacing attractions or IPs piecemeal every 3-5 years so the area never gets fully stale.

I definitely think KidZone is going to open Summer 2016 because there's still 3 years between then and now - once Potter's near done, I definitely think tons of people will get moved to KidZone prep while Kong and JP get about half as well since they're not as massive projects as a whole KidZone redo

Status
Not open for further replies.