The Production Thread | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

The Production Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
bump...I assume they film commercials at the studios (saw lots of hot sets on my visit, those production folks work long hours!!) :

26812521649_370a1b0c70_k.jpg

37700913615_056605a722_k.jpg

38589177551_f7539fc1df_k.jpg

38531887186_ac9a321be4_k.jpg

38589217241_866f9a9599_k.jpg

Comcast must have something up their sleeves for USF. Why would they spend over $1 million upgrading and adding production facilities? New production offices to support 168 people. Interesting stuff.

Reactions: tankart150
I'd be very happy to see productions return to Orlando, but I highly doubt it will ever happen. The tax incentives just aren't there.

With the resort growing, would this create more of an incentive for people to film there? Not unlike the way in which conventions are working by having people do business during the day and bring their family as a sort of mini vacation.

If you look at USH, Universal seems to be pushing the theme park more than the production facilities.

I would think a theme park would make a lot more per acre than a soundstage. I don't know that Universal is incentivized to build out a backlot and encourage a lot of filming in Orlando.

As WAJAS98 said, tax incentives are crucial to attract filming. There's a lot of competition from other cities & states that offer incentives. As an example, Pittsburgh generally gets a good deal of movie & TV production, but it almost always fluctuates depending on the tax incentives the state is offering. When the incentives are good, there's plenty of filming. When the incentives dry up, filming decreases. Available locations are also important. Pittsburgh has a lot of older neighborhoods and housing stock that works well for dated filming purposes. And its' important that there's enough local film tradesmen to fill the production jobs. Just having Production Studio sets are only one of the factors needed to procure filming productions. ...And cities like Atlanta, Toronto and NYC attract a huge amount of the available productions because they give the production companies most everything they want. Lots of competition out there. Even LA has to fight to get their share, which has dropped drastically over the past few decades.

As WAJAS98 said, tax incentives are crucial to attract filming. There's a lot of competition from other cities & states that offer incentives. As an example, Pittsburgh generally gets a good deal of movie & TV production, but it almost always fluctuates depending on the tax incentives the state is offering. When the incentives are good, there's plenty of filming. When the incentives dry up, filming decreases. Available locations are also important. Pittsburgh has a lot of older neighborhoods and housing stock that works well for dated filming purposes. And its' important that there's enough local film tradesmen to fill the production jobs. Just having Production Studio sets are only one of the factors needed to procure filming productions. ...And cities like Atlanta, Toronto and NYC attract a huge amount of the available productions because they give the production companies most everything they want. Lots of competition out there. Even LA has to fight to get their share, which has dropped drastically over the past few decades.
I heard recently there's more film and tv production in Atlanta than anywhere else in North America due to the tax incentives

With the resort growing, would this create more of an incentive for people to film there? Not unlike the way in which conventions are working by having people do business during the day and bring their family as a sort of mini vacation.
I think there is an incentive for Comcast to film things there occasionally for synergy purposes..Otherwise, eh

Only reason I see this happening is because Universal wants to dedicate soundstage to park operations as more events end up using them and restricting productions to one side of the stages. It also frees the potential of removing buildings if they want to expand the park.

Other than that the only reason I see this happening Is because they had a couple of dollars and wanted to spend it.

The fact of the matter though is it did happen- they spent $1.2 million to add and upgrade their facilities. Very interesting. Maybe they do more production than we think.

Keep in mind that there is a totally separate division to UO called "Universal Studios Florida Production Group" and for all we know they could be very active.

Other than the Foley room, almost everything could also support the day-to-day of the resort. There's always need for office space, and the company itself produces of a lot of videos each year. For both external and internal use.

In the grand scheme of things, the money spent here isn't all that great and the resort always could use improved infrastructure.

I think there is an incentive for Comcast to film things there occasionally for synergy purposes..Otherwise, eh

That raises a good point about certain types of shows that need audiences. If they can bring an audience, the people will most likely buy tickets to the park and it’s great for promotion.

The fact of the matter though is it did happen- they spent $1.2 million to add and upgrade their facilities. Very interesting. Maybe they do more production than we think.

Keep in mind that there is a totally separate division to UO called "Universal Studios Florida Production Group" and for all we know they could be very active.
Well, they are moderately active, definitely. But it's mostly in-house stuff like things with NBC, Univision or other Comcast owned networks that film there. Then you have TNA who is in there every now and again. Most of the stuff they shoot they don't need a live audience for, so we never hear about it. They do film a fair amount of commercials (or at least used to) around there as well. Not something that happens every day of course, but it still happens.

Point is, the lot isn't dead. Someone might want to check it's pulse every once in awhile though.