Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The State of Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a GotG ride would actually work. I think it fits more with futuristic/spaceship earth theme than putting Frozen in Norway.

Chapek and his people don't give a crap about what the theme of any area of the parks is or what a dedication plaque says. They simply are looking at low performing rides based on guest surveys (Energy, Stitch, GMR) and trying to shoehorn IPs in whether they fit or not.
Very true. Really Epcot and DHS are just becoming MK part 2 and 3. They've completely lost their identity and are just extra sites to hold other attractions that could just as easily be put in MK.

Very true. Really Epcot and DHS are just becoming MK part 2 and 3. They've completely lost their identity and are just extra sites to hold other attractions that could just as easily be put in MK.
While I completely agree with you, I'm not sure that's really anything new. The Disney parks have been doing that for decades. Epcot got Captain EO and Hollywood Studios got Star Tours... Both of which could be found in Disneyland's Tomorrowland. I've always felt Hall of Presidents and Carousel of Progress would fit in just fine in Epcot at the American Adventure and in Future World.

It's all at least somewhat interchangeable if you think about it. I mean, "Future World" is just a synonym for "Tomorrowland" after all. Horizons was the spiritual successor to Carousel of Progress. Mission: Space is the next evolution of Mission to Mars.

Hollywood Studios can always use the excuse that something is *based* on a movie, even though so are most attractions in Magic Kingdom (most notably in Fantasyland)... and Epcot's Future World can always use the excuse that something is based on sci-fi, or contains elements of wonder or inspiration.

At the end of the day, Animal Kingdom may very well be the most unique Disney park left (in Florida.) Especially since nothing there is duplicated in other parks around the world. (Is it really nothing? None of its rides or shows are in other parks? That can't be true. Even Finding Nemo the musical? I gotta look that up.)

Chapek and his people don't give a crap about what the theme of any area of the parks is or what a dedication plaque says. They simply are looking at low performing rides based on guest surveys (Energy, Stitch, GMR) and trying to shoehorn IPs in whether they fit or not.

That is depressingly accurate. It's really unfortunate that upper management doesn't appear to value the parks as distinct entities with areas of special focus all their own.

At the end of the day, Animal Kingdom may very well be the most unique Disney park left (in Florida.) Especially since nothing there is duplicated in other parks around the world. (Is it really nothing? None of its rides or shows are in other parks? That can't be true. Even Finding Nemo the musical? I gotta look that up.)
It's tough to be a Bug is in DCA and Expedition Everest is planned as a part of SHDL expansion.

It's tough to be a Bug is in DCA and Expedition Everest is planned as a part of SHDL expansion.
Dinosaur is also very similar to Indiana Jones at DLR, but I'd consider the two unique enough for it not to matter. I'd call Animal Kingdom the most unique Disney park (aside from the obvious DisneySea).

Dinosaur is also very similar to Indiana Jones at DLR, but I'd consider the two unique enough for it not to matter. I'd call Animal Kingdom the most unique Disney park (aside from the obvious DisneySea).
Yes for sure. DisneySea is why I added the "in Florida" to my claim. ;)

While I completely agree with you, I'm not sure that's really anything new. The Disney parks have been doing that for decades. Epcot got Captain EO and Hollywood Studios got Star Tours... Both of which could be found in Disneyland's Tomorrowland. I've always felt Hall of Presidents and Carousel of Progress would fit in just fine in Epcot at the American Adventure and in Future World.

It's all at least somewhat interchangeable if you think about it. I mean, "Future World" is just a synonym for "Tomorrowland" after all. Horizons was the spiritual successor to Carousel of Progress. Mission: Space is the next evolution of Mission to Mars.

Hollywood Studios can always use the excuse that something is *based* on a movie, even though so are most attractions in Magic Kingdom (most notably in Fantasyland)... and Epcot's Future World can always use the excuse that something is based on sci-fi, or contains elements of wonder or inspiration.

There are certain attractions that are more interchangeable and others that help to identify a park. I think what we're talking about here is not exactly cut and dry. These two parks have shifted away from their identity and what has been put in their place is more generic and more in line with an all encompassing park like MK. DHS has lost most of it's "working studio" attractions leaving it primarily an IP park. Epcot has lost most of it's "celebration of human achievements through imagination, the wonders of enterprise, and concepts of a future" attractions and again is transitioning to more of a generic park. These are really all be degrees and not hard changes. I think the casual tourists views these park now today by their attractions and not so much the experience of the park. I don't think many people think "let's go to Epcot to experience the future of human achievements" or "let's go to DHS to see what a working studio is like" Instead it's more like "well we want to do Soarin and Nemo so we're going to Epcot today" or "We're doing Midway Mania and Star Wars so we're going to DHS. The names of these parks have become completely meaningless they could just as easily be called Park 2 and Park 3 and no one would really experience them any differently. In a sense they're not really theme parks anymore. MK and DAK I think are obviously exceptions to this and show that parks can have a cohesive or at least all encompassing yet organized feel.

If it's TRON, I'd think it'd be too similar to Test Track's TRON-like aesthetic. Granted, a clone of the Shanghai coaster would likely be cheaper than the custom GotG indoor coaster concept, but it just sounds like it'd be redundant.

As far as Future World, Muppet Labs, Inside Out, Big Hero 6, WALL-E and arguably Zootopia (if they added a Sociology pavilion) are the only other IPs I could see fitting the original edutainment concept of Future World. Since they actually make sense, watch TDO refuse to put any of them into Epcot :lol:

A tron clone does fit the shape of the construction area pretty perfectly..

View attachment 4515
While I appreciate an amazing animated gif like that, the back end of that construction boundary will include new drainage retention ponds and will not accommodate structures built on top.

It's more likely, if a coaster is coming, that it will run behind/over the old WoL pavilion, not straight back behind UoE... Or at least, not that far back.

While I appreciate an amazing animated gif like that, the back end of that construction boundary will include new drainage retention ponds and will not accommodate structures built on top.

It's more likely, if a coaster is coming, that it will run behind/over the old WoL pavilion, not straight back behind UoE... Or at least, not that far back.
You're right, I just scaled the Tron screenshot to fit the area.. didn't think to compare actual building scales. Still it looks like it will fit with some modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.