The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 466 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
About FJ, Did anybody think of breakthrough in Universal's technology and not the entire world?! I'm pretty sure Uni has never built any attraction to do with Kuka arms.

008FSM_William_Baldwin_001.jpg

Looks like this thread...(puts on glasses) has turned into a catfight...

So, there was supposed to be a floating wand in the window of Olivanders. Is it there? Is it really floating? Does it move as it floats? How does it appear to float? I have not heard one word about it.

Tis.Toes. (The tis equivilant of does?)

There's basically something neat in each window. I enjoy the self-writing quill pen.

@Chris: I believe you said you couldn't tell us why the ride is techincally groundbreaking at this time, but perhaps at a later time. When will that time come? I think that when you (or anyone who knows) can share a bit more about the tech and how it relates to the guest experience, we will appreciate Universal's level of accomplishment.

--- Update ---

In fact, let me just point out one huge breakthrough that Universal has with this ride. They've successfully made the ride an intimate experience without sacrificing capacity or guest experience. HUGE one right there. Let me clarify,

On the FJ, everyone is in the front row with an unobstructed view in the center of the action. You are not in the backseat of the Simpson's or Spidey's car no matter where you end up. Now, with rides such as haunted mansion and other omnimover type ride systems, you have similar intimacy and capacity, but you sacrifice thrills (part of guest experience) because everything is on a closed loop system sliding past scenes with no changes in motion or orientation. Throw in all the programming for FJ to accomplish this and there you have it.

FJ has struck a perfect blend of all three aspects (capacity, guest intimacy, guest experience), that's a gamechanger as I see it.

Last edited:
@Chris: I believe you said you couldn't tell us why the ride is techincally groundbreaking at this time, but perhaps at a later time. When will that time come? I think that when you (or anyone who knows) can share a bit more about the tech and how it relates to the guest experience, we will appreciate Universal's level of accomplishment.

--- Update ---

On the FJ, everyone is in the front row with an unobstructed view in the center of the action. You are not in the backseat of the Simpson's or Spidey's car no matter where you end up. .

While I don't think it matters where in the cars you sit on either The Simpsons or Spiderman, I will agree that The Simpsons has some cars that are better than others due to everyone looking at the same large screen. I always have the worst luck with The Simpsons and end up on the extreme side which is a clear inferior experience to being in the middle.

Question for you. In FJ, do the cars flip back and forth to different screens in such a way that you have no clue where the ground is (ala some spots in Spiderman) ?

008FSM_William_Baldwin_001.jpg

Looks like this thread...(puts on glasses) has turned into a catfight...

I do hope you were not talking about my ideas on opinion. Was not meant as a cat fight at all... And I believe Chris knows this. It was just a discussion of how one perceives things. Just go to http://www.rottentomatoes.com/ and look at the reviews of your absolute favorite movie... there are people that do not see it as you do. That is opinion at its best.

this is a pretty funny day of discussion... first it was all about the timeline (there is none btw) and than a catfight about fj... hmmm. I was super excited to hear it only broke down once for a few minutes and was back up in no time. Ive heard nothing but praise for the ride except people getting sick and kids crying.

And we also haven't heard anything of the Hog's Head hog's head!

its there and works... what did you want a review of?

Obi, the foods great. I heard that people from the U.K. thought the fish and chips tasted just like home.

For those of you who are eager to get your hands on some Wizarding World of Harry Potter merchandise early...

Wizarding World items are available at Orlando International Airport.

Here are photos from the two Universal Orlando stores:
http://www.insidethemagic.net/2010/...w-available-at-orlando-international-airport/

Available merchandise includes wands, shirts, and much more. Many of the same items that are found in the park.

Thanks for that! It's interesting that they have some of the same items at the airport shop. I don't plan on ever purchasing anything there though. It seems like it would take away from the experience of getting it in the world.

Felipe, I loved how you arranged the merch and the backdrop! Very nice! Did you save the receipts? I may have to add a cauldron to my list of wants. Are they really metal? Do they have other sizes?

I'm glad you liked my little amateur photoshoot :p I had fun doing that haha! Yep, I kept all receipts. The cauldron is cast iron and super heavy! I love that sort of stuff and had to have it! I think this is the smallest and they had two other bigger sizes.

So here's what I bought:
CandyBeveragesandMerchandise.jpg

See the close-ups here: http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Felipe89/WWoHP 05-29-2010/WWoHP Purchases/

OK, so I'll post the prices of the merch I bought straight from my receipts. I'll include the regular price and the price I paid with AAA discount. I did notice that the discount depends on the store. It was 15% in D&B and 10% in Zonkos. I did not show the AAA card in Filch's and Hogs Head, so I do not know discount there, but it should be 10% or 15%. (Remember everything is plus 6.5% tax)

From Hog's Head:
Butterbeer in the stein/mug is $8.50
Butterbeer refill in the stein/mug $2.99

From Zonko's:
Bottled pumpkin juice $4.99 ($4.50 w/ 10% AAA discount)
Screaming Yo Yo $9.95 ($8.96 w/ 10% AAA discount)
Jacob's Ladder $4.95 ($4.46 w/ 10% AAA discount)
Bertie Bott's Beans Box $9.95 ($8.96 w/ 10% AAA discount)
Chocolate Frog with card $9.95 ($8.95 w/ 10% AAA discount)
Sugar Quill Lillipop $2.95 ($2.65 w/ 10% AAA discount)
Acid Pop Lillipop $2.95 ($2.65 w/ 10% AAA discount)
Peppermint Toads $6.95 ($6.25 w/ 10% AAA discount)

From Dervish and banges:
5-inch cast iron cauldron $14.95 ($12.70 and $12.71 w/ 15% AAA discount) - I got two of them and for some reason one was 1 cent more than the other... lol :shrug:
Hazel Ollivander's Wand $28.95 ($24.60 w/ 15% AAA discount)
Alder Ollivander's Wand $28.95 ($24.61 w/ 15% AAA discount) - Once cent difference here again, it must be the way the cash register calculates the percentage discount or something...

From Filch's Emporium:
Death Eater mask Dolohov keychain $8.95

Another little note, because soem of the shops are connected, you might get merch from one shop but pay for it at another shop's cashier. Like I got wands from Owl Post but paid for them in D&B, or I got candy from Honeydukes but paid for it in Zonko's.

PS: I am SO glad you all enjoyed the pics I took! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: mantaguy
how was the chocolate frog was it crunchy

and btw you bought that stuff at honeydukes (oh i see ur explanation)

the discount is 10% for food and 15% for merch

i didn't realize the do the discount per item though that's cool

I thought the pumpkin juice is $2.99 (yeah it says $2.99 on the menu) maybe that's not in the bottle?

Last edited:
I do hope you were not talking about my ideas on opinion. Was not meant as a cat fight at all... And I believe Chris knows this. It was just a discussion of how one perceives things. Just go to http://www.rottentomatoes.com/ and look at the reviews of your absolute favorite movie... there are people that do not see it as you do. That is opinion at its best.

I was only joking around. Was watching Forgetting Sarah Marshall and the mood felt right lol.

Opinions help the world go round. Everyone has their own opinions on everything. But opinions could possibly be pretentious and just stupid. The small argument that occurred before were sets of good ideas and opinions. I went to the TPR forum and you guys are right...a lot of members there are out of their minds. Not all of them, but a good amount have weird expectations even for small pier parks. I can't explain but it's just weird there. Yet, they tend to have more appreciation for flat out coasters, which are nice and all(I love roller coasters as well), but more imagination goes into rides in Disney and Universal then Six Flags and Busch Gardens. That's my opinion.

I'm glad you liked my little amateur photoshoot :p I had fun doing that haha! Yep, I kept all receipts. The cauldron is cast iron and super heavy! I love that sort of stuff and had to have it! I think this is the smallest and they had two other bigger sizes.

So here's what I bought:
CandyBeveragesandMerchandise.jpg

See the close-ups here: http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Felipe89/WWoHP 05-29-2010/WWoHP Purchases/

OK, so I'll post the prices of the merch I bought straight from my receipts. I'll include the regular price and the price I paid with AAA discount. I did notice that the discount depends on the store. It was 15% in D&B and 10% in Zonkos. I did not show the AAA card in Filch's and Hogs Head, so I do not know discount there, but it should be 10% or 15%. (Remember everything is plus 6.5% tax)

From Hog's Head:
Butterbeer in the stein/mug is $8.50
Butterbeer refill in the stein/mug $2.99
Can you get Butterbeer without the mug? I mean, in the Three Broomsticks, can you order a Butterbeer without having to pay $8.50 for the cup? I read $2.99 somewhere...I know I want to buy the mug, since I can easily get a refill then, but for my brother and little cousin, they probably won't want the souvenir cup when we all go.

Can you get Butterbeer without the mug? I mean, in the Three Broomsticks, can you order a Butterbeer without having to pay $8.50 for the cup? I read $2.99 somewhere...I know I want to buy the mug, since I can easily get a refill then, but for my brother and little cousin, they probably won't want the souvenir cup when we all go.

yeah butterbeer in a cup is $2.99, same price as the refill

While I don't think it matters where in the cars you sit on either The Simpsons or Spiderman, I will agree that The Simpsons has some cars that are better than others due to everyone looking at the same large screen. I always have the worst luck with The Simpsons and end up on the extreme side which is a clear inferior experience to being in the middle.

Question for you. In FJ, do the cars flip back and forth to different screens in such a way that you have no clue where the ground is (ala some spots in Spiderman) ?

I agree with you about the Simpsons seating. The weakest spot for me in certain Universal rides, such as Spiderman, is the back because the tall sides give the feeling of tunnel vision and being obviously told where to look instead of the ride suggesting where to look.

While I have not ridden FJ personally, my understanding is that the transitions are excellent. I would attribute that to how overall small the vehicles are since they can easily and quickly be manipulated.

how was the chocolate frog was it crunchy

I thought the pumpkin juice is $2.99 (yeah it says $2.99 on the menu) maybe that's not in the bottle?

Chocolate frog is just smooth milk chocolate, no crunch. It's like a BIG block of chocolate shaped like a frog :p

Yeah, I bought it pumpkin juice bottled, so maybe the $2.99 is the price for a cup in the 3B. I did not try investigate much about food/drinks or their prices in the 3B because I thought that was exclusive to package holders who were getting breakfast. If I knew it was widely available I would have gone and bought something to eat!!

I agree Tbad, I could not see myself buying wwohp stuff anywhere else. It looses the feeling of, I got this in HOGSMEADE!

TOTALLY! That's half the fun! :D

$8.50 buys you a mug with butterbeer. Then Refills are $2.99 (I think for both frozen and cool, because my refill was frozen and they charged me $2.99). I BELIEVE, not know for sure, but I believe that the regular plastic cup of cool Butterbeer is $2.99 and frozen Butterbeer is $3.99.

PS: You can get Butterbeer in Hog's Head, and I would guess 3B too, but I got all 2 of mine in Hogs Head and one at the barrel cart.

Last edited: