The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 868 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I have a question. Can anyone point me to an article or video in which J.K Rowling discusses riding The Forbidden Journey? I've seen videos of her strolling through Hogsmeade, seen her remarking on how well-done The Wizarding World is, but have yet to see her make direct mention of riding the ride.

This weekend I thought Id try and be a good member and take some pictures of the HE station from Dragon Challenge...boy are they strict about that stuff though! Halfway up the lifthill I discreetly (or so I thought) pulled my phone out so Id be able to get some shots, but the PA system came on and told me to put it away--by the time we got closer to the top, the ride came to a crawl as I squeezed my phone back into my pocket. There went my contribution :lol:

I dont know how you guys do it but you all must be ninjas to get those DC shots...makes them all the more impressive now!

So some people want FJ to be more calm, and some people want more of a thrill. Here's my idea: They do kind of what they did with Mission Space at Epcot. They have the calm version, where its how it is now, maybe even tone down the movements more. And then there's the more extreme version, where the movements are to the max and all the dementors are used. No need for two lines or anything, when you sit down and the TM is checking your restraints, they ask if the group wants the calm or extreme version, they press a button on the RV, and bam, it does the "green" mode or "orange" mode. That would be awesome.

So some people want FJ to be more calm, and some people want more of a thrill. Here's my idea: They do kind of what they did with Mission Space at Epcot. They have the calm version, where its how it is now, maybe even tone down the movements more. And then there's the more extreme version, where the movements are to the max and all the dementors are used. No need for two lines or anything, when you sit down and the TM is checking your restraints, they ask if the group wants the calm or extreme version, they press a button on the RV, and bam, it does the "green" mode or "orange" mode. That would be awesome.

People on here have stated the way FJ was designed/built it would not be possible to have more than one ride profile.

That would be awesome, but I don't think it would be easily achieved. Isn't Mission Space two different simulators, each one programmed for its specific experience? I think the same would be needed here. I assume that the effects are programmed, timed and triggered to work one way, and I think it might make the ride really glitch-y if you made each effect react differently for each bench, even if it was just two settings. Anything other than a constant loop would probably be really troublesome. I'm sure even the one single loop is pretty complicated as it is :lol: But I do agree, it would be kickass to have a tame and a more intense ride experience available :thumbs:

People on here have stated the way FJ was designed/built it would not be possible to have more than one ride profile.

It is indeed "impossible" to have separate ride programs on the same circuit with the FJ. Just never gonna happen..

That would be awesome, but I don't think it would be easily achieved. Isn't Mission Space two different simulators, each one programmed for its specific experience? I think the same would be needed here. I assume that the effects are programmed, timed and triggered to work one way, and I think it might make the ride really glitch-y if you made each effect react differently for each bench, even if it was just two settings. Anything other than a constant loop would probably be really troublesome. I'm sure even the one single loop is pretty complicated as it is :lol: But I do agree, it would be kickass to have a tame and a more intense ride experience available :thumbs:

For Mission Space, they're the same ride but green is programmed not to use the centrifuge like orange uses. The difference between that and FJ is that not only are the two MS experiences isolated from each other, but the simulator moves on 1 axis and has no effects. Forbidden Journey utilizes a moving track with 47 RVs that have to line up with show equipment perfectly as well as have robots with 4 axes and move on a track. The difference is vast and unimaginable. Making the ride do one profile with 47 took months of testing to get more than 1 RV online at a time because of the synch issues.

Technically speaking, its beyond the limitations of this system.

What I will say is that Universal Creative has no intent to make the ride more intense and in fact is constant pursuit in making the ride more tame. The Japanese profile will be a LOT more tame than the Universal one and Hollywood is most likely receiving the new profile as well. The only reason that it hasn't made it over to UO is resistance from the operations team and the fact that it causes instability during ride stops.

^Hollywood and Japan's profiles will be tamer than Orlando's? Even considering the recent adjustments made to Orlando's ride film and profile during the dome sections?

Let's us take a $100 million dollar ride and turn it into a $50,000.00 ride. I thought it failed as was. I cannot imagine wasting my time on the thing now. 'Bout as thrilling as E.T.

^Hollywood and Japan's profiles will be tamer than Orlando's? Even considering the recent adjustments made to Orlando's ride film and profile during the dome sections?

Yes. The ride profile was briefly tested before the carousel changes, but as I mentioned before, the profile made the ride unstable so that a minor stop would cause a big downtime. It had a lot of synch issues with the RVs. USJ will definitely get the new profile as it was designed for them. Creative describes the motion as more fluid and less likely to induce motion sickness because it limits movement on Axis 2 and 3.

Let's us take a $100 million dollar ride and turn it into a $50,000.00 ride. I thought it failed as was. I cannot imagine wasting my time on the thing now. 'Bout as thrilling as E.T.

I don't think that's fair to say considering the RVs cost 15x that alone.

I haven't been on Forbidden Journey in awhile. Is it still just as thrilling?

I checked it out about a week ago--I noticed the brighter projectors but thats about it. If anything, I felt it was more intense as I hadnt been on in a while. In my opinion, these profile changes are negligible. Maybe they decrease motion sickness but as far as Im concerned its the same ride with the same impact.

I rode it yesterday for the first time since they changed the flue system projection.
To me the practical effects scenes seemed darker and the ride seemed more intense. Example - from what I remember (and I was going on FJ all the time when it first opened) during the WW scene your feet used to only come up to the same level as your head one time. Now, it seems your feet go slightly higher than your head three times. Coins were falling out of my pockets into the seat and the never happened before.
The flue system projection was slightly less nauseating, but sort of takes away from the experience.
And honestly, I kept my eyes closed during the dome scenes - those really make me ill.

Yes. The ride profile was briefly tested before the carousel changes, but as I mentioned before, the profile made the ride unstable so that a minor stop would cause a big downtime. It had a lot of synch issues with the RVs. USJ will definitely get the new profile as it was designed for them. Creative describes the motion as more fluid and less likely to induce motion sickness because it limits movement on Axis 2 and 3.

Ah. I didn't know they reverted back to the old profile. Last time I rode it was June 6th and it was still running the new profile and ride film.