The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 867 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
First welcome and I'm very glad you enjoyed yourself at Universal Orlando. Second, Disney you reading this? One at a time you they will eventually leave you! Last of all there are SOOOOO many people just like you right now that are pretty much just discovering Universal outside the mousetrap. Most of them are being blown away and wondering why they haven't visited before. I've also dealt with many who very interested in the construction and saying we have to come back for that.

So much so, I'm already looking at trying to go back this fall. It's funny, I never really jumped in on the Disney vs Universal bandwagon, and honestly never gave it much thought; but having experienced what lies beyond the mousetrap, I have to say it, it will take something truly groundbreaking to get me back to their parks (and a mine coaster doesn't count). I always had an interest in Universal, but the majority of my friends are strictly 'Disney', and ever since I've returned I have not shut up about what they are missing by not checking out Uni/Islands. As someone who is in their early 20's, I felt Universal 'gets me' on a level that Disney just hasn't been able to attain. Of course, I realize my age range isn't Disney's target focus.. it seems as of late their target market is a 12yr old girl; which is all fine and dandy, but don't expect me to plan an entire vacation around it. I also felt Universals attractions just packed more punch in general.

On topic of the WWoHP, I had a question about FJ and those elusive dementors that are not in use, are there any pics of them? I found them amazingly fluid and terrifying, but did wish there were a few more, and upon reading through here saw there where suppose to be some additional soul-suckers but they were scrapped? Just curious for more info in this particular part of the ride

So much so, I'm already looking at trying to go back this fall. It's funny, I never really jumped in on the Disney vs Universal bandwagon, and honestly never gave it much thought; but having experienced what lies beyond the mousetrap, I have to say it, it will take something truly groundbreaking to get me back to their parks (and a mine coaster doesn't count). I always had an interest in Universal, but the majority of my friends are strictly 'Disney', and ever since I've returned I have not shut up about what they are missing by not checking out Uni/Islands. As someone who is in their early 20's, I felt Universal 'gets me' on a level that Disney just hasn't been able to attain. Of course, I realize my age range isn't Disney's target focus.. it seems as of late their target market is a 12yr old girl; which is all fine and dandy, but don't expect me to plan an entire vacation around it. I also felt Universals attractions just packed more punch in general.

On topic of the WWoHP, I had a question about FJ and those elusive dementors that are not in use, are there any pics of them? I found them amazingly fluid and terrifying, but did wish there were a few more, and upon reading through here saw there where suppose to be some additional soul-suckers but they were scrapped? Just curious for more info in this particular part of the ride

That's what's going to hurt Disney parks in the future.

Yes, there's a total of 12 dementors or so. Forgive me if that contradicts any number I used before. It's roughly 12. There's 5 KUKA dementors and around 7 extras. The extras are ride inbetween dementors 4 and 5 (soul suck). Occasionally if the soul suck fog screen effect is out the extra light from the projection will let you see a little bit of the extras. They are higher than the others and look like the other ones except they have long boney hands kind of like a nazgul. Warner Brs ride with the lights on and decided they didn't like the effect so they turned off the lights that made them visible.

As for pictures, I have never seen anyone get a picture of them.

Is there anyway for Forbidden Journey to have a mild and wild version of the attraction like Mission Space and Innoventions? I would ride the attraction more often, if it didn't make me feel ill. I guess constantly getting thrown on my back doesn't agree with my head and stomach. :)

^ That's an interesting point that I had never heard before. I only get the spins when I drank to much (years ago) and go to lay down on my back or when I have had a head cold and attempt to do the same. I never knew that some people get that when they are feeling great otherwise. Hmmmm. Do others have the same issue as SJN?

Is there anyway for Forbidden Journey to have a mild and wild version of the attraction like Mission Space and Innoventions? I would ride the attraction more often, if it didn't make me feel ill. I guess constantly getting thrown on my back doesn't agree with my head and stomach. :)

I'll let Tom expand on this if he wishes:

I think on FJ the Ride Control System is set up so that all the RVs have to do the same profile.

I'll let Tom expand on this if he wishes:

I think on FJ the Ride Control System is set up so that all the RVs have to do the same profile.

Thanks.

Background: When the ride first opened show effects were allowed to cross into the ride track. One day the Whomping Willow whomped but didn't unwhomp and it was stuck in the profile of the ride track. That caused a 24 hour downtime. Now the show effects do not cross the ride track profile but there is still no margin for error. If an RV goes even a degree off of what it should be, it will ride stop and have to be fixed. The ride profile is designed to match up with the area of the track, the show effects, and the carousels. Its an insane amount of work. To have multiple profiles would vastly complicate the ride's operations and most likely cause massive downtimes. There's also no operational way to handle this. The ride's programming would have to be completely rewritten to allow for it.

Point in point, its impossible for it to happen.

But great question.

Reactions: Clive
That's what's going to hurt Disney parks in the future.

Yes, there's a total of 12 dementors or so. Forgive me if that contradicts any number I used before. It's roughly 12. There's 5 KUKA dementors and around 7 extras. The extras are ride inbetween dementors 4 and 5 (soul suck). Occasionally if the soul suck fog screen effect is out the extra light from the projection will let you see a little bit of the extras. They are higher than the others and look like the other ones except they have long boney hands kind of like a nazgul. Warner Brs ride with the lights on and decided they didn't like the effect so they turned off the lights that made them visible.

As for pictures, I have never seen anyone get a picture of them.

That explains it, the first two times I rode the soul sucking effect worked fine, the third time it was off and I didnt get a good look..but I could have sworn I saw some extra dementors above the ones that are used for the effect. And these have hands? I didn't noticed the primary ones are missing their hands, but that is such a bizarre thing to omit. Was WB not happy with the effect, or was it just deemed too scary to have a complete swarm of dementors in that scene?

Wow, really interesting how technical the FJ system is. Cool stuff.

It has to be super technical...if not, it would be a pretty dangerous ride!
Just imagine what could happen if the vehicles weren't that sensitive and you're riding through the ride and the Whomping Willows arm comes down and smacks your ride vehicle...or your vehicle smashes into one of the walls...it could be quite a painful disaster!

That explains it, the first two times I rode the soul sucking effect worked fine, the third time it was off and I didnt get a good look..but I could have sworn I saw some extra dementors above the ones that are used for the effect. And these have hands? I didn't noticed the primary ones are missing their hands, but that is such a bizarre thing to omit. Was WB not happy with the effect, or was it just deemed too scary to have a complete swarm of dementors in that scene?

WB did not like the hands. They felt it made the ride too scary... -_-

I agree, sometimes the workings of a ride are just as fun as the actual ride itself. I would just love to do a behind the scenes on FJ.

Its rare, but it happens every now and then. Supposedly TMs aren't even allowed to discuss the workings of the ride or acknowledge the KUKAs; they're supposed to atone it to magic.

It has to be super technical...if not, it would be a pretty dangerous ride!
Just imagine what could happen if the vehicles weren't that sensitive and you're riding through the ride and the Whomping Willows arm comes down and smacks your ride vehicle...or your vehicle smashes into one of the walls...it could be quite a painful disaster!

Broken bench underneath the Willow is kind of a testament to what happens to benches.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Supposedly TMs aren't even allowed to discuss the workings of the ride or acknowledge the KUKAs; they're supposed to atone it to magic.

Good! It's nice to see Universal fully stick to a set of rules and backstory.

Also, magic.

tumblr_inline_mpr6ztsMUa1qz4rgp.gif

Reactions: BJCool
Broken bench underneath the Willow is kind of a testament to what happens to benches.

Little bit confused at this statement...is there a "broken bench" prop underneath the WW? Only rode FJ twice in my lifetime so I'm sure I missed a lot of the details. Would have loved to see a whole swarm of dement ors, instead I think I only made out maybe one or two. That scene should be longer. Scare the kids they'll get over it! :':)happy:

Little bit confused at this statement...is there a "broken bench" prop underneath the WW? Only rode FJ twice in my lifetime so I'm sure I missed a lot of the details. Would have loved to see a whole swarm of dement ors, instead I think I only made out maybe one or two. That scene should be longer. Scare the kids they'll get over it! :':)happy:

Yes, more crushed than broken... Don't feel bad, I knew for months before WW opened that it was going to be there, but I never saw it either.

Yeah, I've never seen it. I've specifically looked for it many times. I don't think it's there. :(

Yeah, I've never seen it. I've specifically looked for it many times. I don't think it's there. :(

Oh, it's definitely there. Look down at the base of the whomping willow just before you get whomped into the quidditch dome. The bench is smaller than actual size (false perspective) but has the same gold trim as the ride vehicles.

Does anyone here know of any video or pictures of them applying/installing the snow to the Hogsmeade roofs? I only recall seeing one picture of them hacking at a finished overhang that was too low on the 3-brooms. If anyone has knowledge of such video or pics I would love to see them.

Danke