Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My local Midwestern mall opened today. All 10 of the stores that opened were all appointment only. I didn't go, but I heard it was quite busy.

The biggest surprise to me? The most popular thing by far was Cinnabon. 30-45 minute wait for a Cinnabon.

Gonna be crazy to see what happens if the one in City Walk opens up.

Disney just announced there with be no FP+ or EMH when the parks re-open. Dining reservations have also been cancelled but will go back up closer to re-opening.

Disney just announced there with be no FP+ or EMH when the parks re-open. Dining reservations have also been cancelled but will go back up closer to re-opening.

And it seems like dining plan is suspended. Sounds like a better Disney experience tbh. After visiting Disneyland, it really showed me how broken our system is.

Went to Springs for lunch today. Breezed thru temp check this time, zero wait.

Certainly not packed, but as busy as any off-season weekday afternoon I can remember. Couple stores (Lily Pulitzer, Sugarboo) went to capacity, but that capacity is in the single digits. WoD was set up for a wait but didn't have one, but it was still far from empty. A significant number of stores, maybe a third, still closed.

Managers everywhere. I assume taking notes.

Everyone wore masks unless sitting, eating. Much better than Publix last night or anywhere else the past week. Curiously tho, I saw only a handful of Disney masks (other Disney themed clothing remains abundant). In fact, the #1 mask choice by far is disposable blue paper. Reading the tea leaves, I take this as an indication people see this as temporary, nobody looking to drop $20+ on masks they won't use again in a month. Whether they are right or not remains to be seen, but that's my interpretation.

To add..this doesn't seem to be ending soon after.

This is going to send the "professional Disney planners", ultra Disney obsessed, and Travel Agents into a tailspin. Universal has already "won" this summer. But not for any good reason. Interestingly the governor did not approve Disney today.

• Haha
Reactions: Andysol

It makes me suuuper nervous that Disney are going all in with planning and waiting an additional month before opening whereas universal haven’t really released much about planning, are opening everything next week, aren’t using a reservation system, and haven’t said anything about capacity or how they will track it. Also, we’ve already heard about mask enforcement being an issue in terms of who can enforce within the TM hierarchy.

I also feel that volcano bay is a huge risk. Keep in mind Disney aren’t opening any water parks. CDC say that it doesn’t spread as easily in chlorinated pools but I have no confidence in that conclusion as there’s no data to support that outwith a standard swimming pool, not an massive water park with shared surfaces and lack of proper social distancing.

I really hope it goes okay and I know that they know what they are doing. I just feel like universal are rushing this a little:_:

I think Disney might be playing this smart. Learn from UOR/ SWO mistakes if they do occur..

Buckle up = no cast self-admission or guest passes? Or no park-hopping? Or "you can't use your annual pass every day"?

Everyone wore masks unless sitting, eating. Much better than Publix last night or anywhere else the past week. Curiously tho, I saw only a handful of Disney masks (other Disney themed clothing remains abundant). In fact, the #1 mask choice by far is disposable blue paper. Reading the tea leaves, I take this as an indication people see this as temporary, nobody looking to drop $20+ on masks they won't use again in a month. Whether they are right or not remains to be seen, but that's my interpretation.
It's also hard to justify $20 on a fancy Disney mask when you can just go to the fabric store and buy a yard of character fabric for $6 and make a bunch of your own.

It's interesting you mention the cheap blue ones because I had been thinking earlier about picking up some of those for when I have to be outside for awhile or it's hot out.

Universal has already "won" this summer.
Usually you count the score at the end of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andysol
So I cancelled my honeymoon cruise in November and readjusted to a stay at the Portofino Bay for a week.We decided to treat ourselves to a day at Galaxy's Edge and Epcot- lightsabers, Oga's Cantina and early dinner at Le Cellier.

These getting automatically cancelled really hurt. I wished they trimmed back reservation capacity when things were closed. It is going to hurt telling my fiance in the morning.

Reactions: Clive and Andysol
I feel bad for APs...I mean maybe some news will come out but as of now. its basically you paid for everyday? We don't care you come only if you can and won't give you anything in return.

Leaves a bad taste in my mouth, hope Six Flags/Universal do more than this for what may be the life blood of the parks for the next two years

With all the machinations that go into planning out a Disney trip anymore this really sucks for those folks getting all their stuff cancelled. Not sure if I’m going to plan a fall trip or renew my AP at this point. :(

It's mid 70s in Scotland today and the thought of wearing a mask in this is miserable. I'll be avoiding Orlando as long as the mask rule is still in effect at the parks.
yes....same here....Fortunately, short of trips to the supermarket with a mask, my lifestyle involves wide open spaces with no distancing issues. So, I'm limiting leisure activities to my property, the nearby hiking/bike trail, the nearby mountain parks/trails, and the nearby local river rafting. Those are easy and fun choices.....and it saves me tons of money. As I've said before, I'm not going to spend many thousands to vacation in Orlando and be miserable with a mask on.....But the mask shouldn't be much of an issue for a local AP holder just spending a few hours of day in the parks. But I could see an issue with small kids on vacation after more than a few hours in the park . Heck, they often get miserable during a long day in the parks as it is.

Reactions: JoeCamel
I feel bad for APs...I mean maybe some news will come out but as of now. its basically you paid for everyday? We don't care you come only if you can and won't give you anything in return.
I don't understand this complaint. You paid to have access to the park everyday that it is open. You don't get comp'd days when you normally can't visit. Also from everything I know pass holders don't go to the parks very often during the heat of the summer so if it was a normal season you are only missing out on a small percentage of your annual visits. I am sure that they will take care of their pass holders extending your pass by more than what the park was closed for.

Reactions: Nick
Any blogger or trip planner that says now is a good time to do your first visit to WDW is a heartless dishonest shill.

They’re going to talk up the “little crowds” as if that’s a good trade off for losing 30+% of the disney experience. Talk any of your friends out of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.