Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Toy Story Land - General Discussion

I understand the people that are saying that Disney could have used this space in a better way (that's your opinion after all), but in my eyes, I don't have a problem with it. You know the audience that it targets and if the coaster is on the same level as SDMT, doesn't that along with TSM give the land something for adults? How Disney delivers with TSL when it's all said and done is what will further set my opinion on this expansion.

Pretty much any ride or attraction is up for full replacement in a 20 year period, regardless of initial budget.

Agreed. However, this way, the change can be made without upsetting the purists (the ones who believe that these parks should never change). There are a surprising number who get all worked up if the slightest changes are made.

Looking at the aerials of both DHS construction areas really makes you pause when you consider that only four rides (two of which on a decidedly lesser tier than the other two) are going to be put on all that land. I've been on Universal's case about misusing (in my opinion) the Earthquake/Disaster plot, but this is that on an even larger scale. We may end up getting one of the very best rides on planet out of Star Wars, which takes a bit of the sting out of things, but I see Toy Story Land as nothing less than a creative write-off at this point.

2018's going to be a great year to take a trip to Disneyland instead of Orlando.

Worst part is that it just seems like a lackluster attempt. It will go over huge because it is Disney and Toy Story/Star Wars. I have felt that the land usage was very inefficient. Disney talks about the land and the scale so much but they use it so poorly. DHS doesn't seem to have a lot of room for expansion due to road placement. EPCOT and MK have similar problems. They basically have painted themselves into corners that require new parks instead of simple expansions. I guess we should be happy that four rides are being built for the money instead of just two (uh, hello Avatar).

I understand the people that are saying that Disney could have used this space in a better way (that's your opinion after all), but in my eyes, I don't have a problem with it. You know the audience that it targets and if the coaster is on the same level as SDMT, doesn't that along with TSM give the land something for adults? How Disney delivers with TSL when it's all said and done is what will further set my opinion on this expansion.
Doubt the coaster will be on the same level as SDMT. What makes that coaster (SDMT) OK is the excellent landscaping, rockwork and fun dark scene with AA's and music. The Slinky Coaster has no decent theming, sparse landscaping and no dark scene. It's more on the order of a slightly larger Barnstormer. No comparison there with SDMT....But the Disney kids & their moms will still eat it up.

Doubt the coaster will be on the same level as SDMT. What makes that coaster (SDMT) OK is the excellent landscaping, rockwork and fun dark scene with AA's and music. The Slinky Coaster has no decent theming, sparse landscaping and no dark scene. It's more on the order of a slightly larger Barnstormer. No comparison there with SDMT....But the Disney kids & their moms will still eat it up.

It is also no better than you would see at a more generic theme park. Kings Island has a little launched coaster called the Backlot Stunt Coaster. About as thrilling with better theming and probably cost a ton less. FYI - It isn't my favorite coaster in the park but it's okay when there is no line.

It is also no better than you would see at a more generic theme park. Kings Island has a little launched coaster called the Backlot Stunt Coaster. About as thrilling with better theming and probably cost a ton less. FYI - It isn't my favorite coaster in the park but it's okay when there is no line.

I love that Backlot Stunt Coaster. It's similar to what I would've wanted for Fast & Furious.

I love that Backlot Stunt Coaster. It's similar to what I would've wanted for Fast & Furious.

Just a slow line. It's actually fun when you don't want the thrill quotient of epic proportion. You're right, though, that would have been a good choice (with a longer ride time and some plussing) for F&F. Again, a coaster doesn't need to be 300 feet high to be really fun (although that helps). Building the Slinky coaster just feels off, somehow.

I was concerned early on that the coaster would be nothing more than a larger Barnstormer. The concept art had me believing that by the coaster's sheer size, this could be on SDMT's level. As we all know, concept art can be misleading though...

I was concerned early on that the coaster would be nothing more than a larger Barnstormer. The concept art had me believing that by the coaster's sheer size, this could be on SDMT's level. As we all know, concept art can be misleading though...
The original concept art at least had a little theming. Then, with the later concept art. it looks like they cut the budget, eliminated almost all the theming on the coaster, plus eliminating some buildings also.

The original concept art at least had a little theming. Then, with the later concept art. it looks like they cut the budget, eliminated almost all the theming on the coaster, plus eliminating some buildings also.
I'm writing an article about that right now actually. Besides most of the elaborate theming for the coaster, the thing I'm most sad about leaving from the original concept art is this:

tsl_gone_woodyswesterntown.jpg

Looks like an old west town from Woody's Roundup, and would've been the first thing you see when entering Toy Story Land. Plus, the large scale Woody statue here and western theming would be a counter-balance to the full scale Buzz statue and space theming on the far left side of the area. But, everything in the above picture is just trees and bushes in the newer concept art.

From the size of that building, looks like we could've had a real saloon too.

On the left side of the path when you enter was a barn. And while still looking like a toy version of a barn, it also kind of reminds me of Al's Toy Barn from Toy Story 2, so who knows, this might've been planned as a small toy store for the area. Doesn't matter now though, cause it's GONE!

tsl_gone_als-toy-barn.jpg

:(:(:(:(:(:(

Last edited:
I'm writing an article about that right now actually. Besides most of the elaborate theming for the coaster, the thing I'm most sad about leaving from the original concept art is this:

tsl_gone_woodyswesterntown.jpg

Looks like an old west town from Woody's Roundup, and would've been the first thing you see when entering Toy Story Land. Plus, the large scale Woody statue here and western theming would be a counter-balance to the full scale Buzz statue and space theming on the far left side of the area. But, everything in the above picture is just trees and bushes in the newer concept art.

From the size of that building, looks like we could've had a real saloon too.

On the left side of the path when you enter was a barn. And while still looking like a toy version of a barn, it also kind of reminds me of Al's Toy Barn from Toy Story 2, so who knows, this might've been planned as a small toy store for the area. Doesn't matter now though, cause it's GONE!

tsl_gone_als-toy-barn.jpg

:(:(:(:(:(:(
pretty embarrassing and disappointing for Disney
TSL is being sandwiched in between two incredibly themed lands which makes it worse

The old west style town I talked about above is the biggest disappointment I have. Kinda wishing I hadn't examined the concept art so closely now. :(

Also, you think Disney'll change the name of "Alien Swirling Saucers," because I like to abbreviate ride names when discussing theme parks, and this one just does not work.

Last edited by a moderator:
In looking at Slinky's layout and considering that this is a launched coaster, it seems that the ride time would probably be around 45 seconds, 60 seconds at the longest.

I've heard thrill level will be SDMT level... theming will be Barnstormer level.