Toy Story Land - General Discussion | Page 38 | Inside Universal Forums

Toy Story Land - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
For those that know more about construction than I, would two tower cranes (on the smaller side) help get this land done faster or does this seem to be fairly pointless? It's not like building Pandora, all that's going on here is an unthemed coaster and a flat ride that already has much of it's ride system in place (and of course some props here and there).

Reactions: SkiBum
For those that know more about construction than I, would two tower cranes (on the smaller side) help get this land done faster or does this seem to be fairly pointless? It's not like building Pandora, all that's going on here is an unthemed coaster and a flat ride that already has much of it's ride system in place (and of course some props here and there).

The choice of tower crane is odd to me. They are limited in use IMO. I'd think a mobile crane would be more practical. If it's a situation where they got a deal to buy one, and they are going to be doing some taller projects, then they might as well use it here. To directly answer your question though, yes two would be faster, but it would also require another construction crew. Like anything, the more money you throw at it, the quicker it can get done.

Reactions: Nick
No, no, no. All wrong.

It requires TWO tower cranes. :ears:

I was wondering the same as you. I can see a tower crane for building a coaster with a lift of at least 100 ft but Slinkdog is probably maxing out at 50. I would have thought that the tower was building the show building for the Battle Attraction of Star Wars. However, I am not in the construction business, unless you count creating two feet high retaining walls in my yard.

The choice of tower crane is odd to me. They are limited in use IMO. I'd think a mobile crane would be more practical. If it's a situation where they got a deal to buy one, and they are going to be doing some taller projects, then they might as well use it here. To directly answer your question though, yes two would be faster, but it would also require another construction crew. Like anything, the more money you throw at it, the quicker it can get done.
If they really did buy the crane because of how hard to get they're getting, then it would make sense to say that it is all they got. Right?

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
I can see both points really. First I am sure the rentals are becoming harder and harder to secure with the pace Disney and Uni are building things, not to mention the rest of the area surrounding. Also, a tower crane does seem odd, but also not......to me. A tower crane has a long reach, and no need for downtime of re-positioning the crane after you set a piece. So in theory you could set more continuous pieces in a row faster than with a mobile which would need re-positioned and such. Moving a tower crane that size I don't think would take so much time as to be a negative time eater. Just my thought though, it is still and odd choice of cranes when you subtract the rental issue.

I was wondering the same as you. I can see a tower crane for building a coaster with a lift of at least 100 ft but Slinkdog is probably maxing out at 50. I would have thought that the tower was building the show building for the Battle Attraction of Star Wars. However, I am not in the construction business, unless you count creating two feet high retaining walls in my yard.

Maybe the coaster is bigger than what's expected, but I doubt it.

I can see both points really. First I am sure the rentals are becoming harder and harder to secure with the pace Disney and Uni are building things, not to mention the rest of the area surrounding. Also, a tower crane does seem odd, but also not......to me. A tower crane has a long reach, and no need for downtime of re-positioning the crane after you set a piece. So in theory you could set more continuous pieces in a row faster than with a mobile which would need re-positioned and such. Moving a tower crane that size I don't think would take so much time as to be a negative time eater. Just my thought though, it is still and odd choice of cranes when you subtract the rental issue.

If it has enough reach to do the whole site, thats fine. But, like we see in this case, they had to pour a whole other anchor point to reach the rest of the site. So its a complete tear down and move. I guess I can see the benefits as this crane clearly is going to be on this project for a while and then probably moved to another project where it will be for a while. I just think more in terms of overall usefulness. Anywhere they want to use this, they have to plan months ahead of time. If it doesn't have the reach, theres no fixing it. /semioffopiccranerant

I guess I can see the benefits as this crane clearly is going to be on this project for a while
I'm not even sure if this is true. This land is on schedule to open Memorial Day 2018. That would mean by the end of this year the land should pretty much be done and they are just working on landscaping/theming (and the crane should be down).

Quick Toy Story update to go along with my Star Wars update in the other thread. Video and some images below, more can be found here.

Video:

Photo Highlights:

Crane as seen from inside the park:
P1100292.jpg

P1100293.jpg

The future entrance to Toy Story Land (currently stroller parking):
P1100298.jpg

P1100299.jpg

New backdrop to block the view of a backstage parking garage:
P1100294.jpg

P1100295.jpg

Not sure when, but some pieces that went over this walkway have been removed:
P1100312.jpg

P1100314.jpg

I wonder if the walkway above this breezeway will eventually be removed as well. It used to be used in the walking tour portion of the Production Tour, back when these stages carried film and TV production:
P1100311.jpg

A look at the Slinky Dog building:
P1100306.jpg

New steel going up in front of Slinky Dog building, on the other side of load platform:
P1100309.jpg

Heading down to the dead end of Pixar street:
P1100328.jpg

Dirt pile berm near Midway Mania exit:
P1100331.jpg

P1100333.jpg

Wall separating Star Wars from Toy Story:
P1100336.jpg

That's all for now:
P1100321.jpg

Lots more pics on my post here, and in the Star Wars thread too!

That former backlot tour bridge is being removed... permits have been filed.

Stage 4 (Jack Sparrow building) will also be demolished to widen the walkway.

That former backlot tour bridge is being removed... permits have been filed.

Stage 4 (Jack Sparrow building) will also be demolished to widen the walkway.
Cool cool cool. Figured they'd have to remove that bridge way.

But will removing the Sparrow building affect One Man's Dream? They're part of the same structure aren't they? Guess they could shorten the building, only losing the empty left side.

Good to know that, at least for the immediate future, One Man's Dream is sticking around. I think it's important to have an attraction like it (dedicated to Walt himself) somewhere at the parks.

Reactions: Alicia