Universal Expansion Plan??? Project LUPA??? | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Expansion Plan??? Project LUPA???

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Not to mention a video game theme park would usher in a new era of what themed attractions could be: highly interactive, dynamic, immersive, and visually stunning. With UC's know-how and Comcast's cash flow, just imagine the possibilities.

And you know they'd be up to the challenge. Look at IOA. That whole park was one huge experiment. So much innovation that astounds fifteen years later.

There are timeless video game franchises, like Mario and Pokemon. And besides, I say it time and time again, compare the popularity of Toon Lagoon with the relevance of those characters. Look at Splash Mountain. How many kids have seen Song of the South? People come for the things that are familiar, but they stay for the things they fall in love with.

The key though would be making it 'feel' different than both parks...IOA with video games wont work...they need to do something unique to make it different

The key though would be making it 'feel' different than both parks...IOA with video games wont work...they need to do something unique to make it different

Good point. It also needs to be a large draw if it is going to be separate from the 2 existing parks. Video games are more popular than ever, but I don't think it is ready yet to be the magnet needed. Maybe for the 4th gate, but that would be quite some time in the future if at all.

Good point. It also needs to be a large draw if it is going to be separate from the 2 existing parks. Video games are more popular than ever, but I don't think it is ready yet to be the magnet needed. Maybe for the 4th gate, but that would be quite some time in the future if at all.

Well, what other themes could they use?

1 - TV
2 - Video Games
3 - Original concepts done correct in order to create movies or tv for all of them
4 - Some sort of animal
5 - Future city world (go against epcot)

what else could there be?

Well, what other themes could they use?

1 - TV
2 - Video Games
3 - Original concepts done correct in order to create movies or tv for all of them
4 - Some sort of animal
5 - Future city world (go against epcot)

what else could there be?

God forbid they do all original concepts...but our culture doesn't 'get' something that doesn't have a movie/tv character tied to it...Another approach could be a World Showcase sort of idea...only fun...I always thought it would be interesting to do a Water Park based on the four seasons, but that's a water park idea

God forbid they do all original concepts...but our culture doesn't 'get' something that doesn't have a movie/tv character tied to it...Another approach could be a World Showcase sort of idea...only fun...I always thought it would be interesting to do a Water Park based on the four seasons, but that's a water park idea

Sick idea fo a waterpark. If its anything like Yas Waterworld + New waterpark concept (and I mean new never before seen), Then consider it the third gate

I was thinking about if Lost Continent moved out of IoA and became it's own park, Lost Continents. A new take on the World Showcase focused on the epics, myths and folklore around the world.

Posted the first two sentences of this over in the water park thread, but the rest of this rambling belongs over here. Really this is just a small part of the traffic changes/upgrades if something like a Universal expansion were to happen for this area.

I didn't realize they had actually completed Destination Pkwy's connection to John Young fairly recently. That is a major positive for local traffic flow in the event of expansion, and one less thing to worry about in terms of matching the traffic infrastructure to increased use. The only other major change that would be absolutely necessary for a massive expansion in this area would be the 528 interchange for Universal Blvd. You really only need to focus on 528 EB exiting to Universal Blvd. NB and Universal Blvd. SB connecting to 528 in both directions, since traffic flowing down Orangewood Blvd. should be discouraged except for local traffic. The current Universal Blvd. NB exit couldn't handle the traffic levels, but the Orangewood SB portion doesn't need touched. The 528 W on-ramp is fine, with maybe an additional lane coming from Universal Blvd. (minor upgrade), but the 528 EB on-ramp would also need some fairly major work to handle increased traffic loads. Worst case for the major ramp work would be completely new ramps (likely a left side flyover exit from 528 EB to Universal Blvd.)

Universal is a media company, both of their theme parks are based on some sort of entertainment media.

USO : Movies
IOA: Books
3rd Gate: Some other sort of media (tv, music, etc..)

Universal is a media company, both of their theme parks are based on some sort of entertainment media.

USO : Movies
IOA: Books
3rd Gate: Some other sort of media (tv, music, etc..)

Never saw it in person, but everything online I've seen suggests the Hard Rock Park was a pretty solid concept with a pre-sold name. Just priced too high for the market.

That said, I'm still not sold on the idea of a third "stand in line, ride the ride, exit through the gift shop" park. I have no idea what the blue ocean alternative to that might be but I think a third gate needs to be different somehow.

Last edited:
Never saw it in person, but everything online I've seen suggests the Hard Rock Park was a pretty solid concept with a pre-sold name. Just priced too high for the market.

That said, I'm still not sold on the idea of a third "stand in line, ride the ride, exit through the gift shop" park. I have no idea what the blue ocean alternative to that might be but I think a third gate needs to be different somehow.

Led Zepplin the roller coaster was a GREAT B&M coaster with on board audio.

I am betting that just like Universal's other 2 parks, the 3rd gate will be based on movie IPs.

IPs is always the case when it comes to UO parks, but from what medium?

Led Zeppelin looks like the most vanilla roller coaster B&M has ever created. For a park with such a 'creative' roster of people building it, they sure didn't put much thought into their attraction design. It's almost as if they thought, "we need a mine train, a gimmick coaster, a B&M, and a couple kiddie coasters" and went with the most basic models available.

Led Zepplin the roller coaster was a GREAT B&M coaster with on board audio.

IPs is always the case when it comes to UO parks, but from what medium?

video... games...

If they do it correctly then the can make movies, tv shows and more games based on the IP's in the park

Forget music. Forget video games. The 3rd gate IP will be based on Broadway musicals!

;-)

Little shop of horrors
Tommy
The book of Mormon
Spamalot

Others?