Universal Great Britain | Page 50 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
A small update but the UK Government has essentially given its backing to this project and is likely to provide incentives to Comcast to make sure this project comes to fruition (as both the transport secretary and chancellor have been in discussions with Comcast).

Politics latest: Universal's UK theme park plan gets government backing - as PM attacks imminent Labour 'U-turn'

Universal UK theme park: Government vows to support 'exciting' proposal​

The government has today pledged to help Universal succeed in its "exciting" plans for a UK theme park.
Transport Secretary Mark Harper, pressed to fund road improvements to aid the bid, said he has been briefed about the scheme, while Chancellor Jeremy Hunt has also been involved.
Universal Destinations & Experiences is in the "very early stages of exploring the possibility of a potential park and resort experience" in Bedford.

Its parent company, Comcast Corporation, which owns Sky News, has purchased land near the market town, with a feasibility study taking place.

Speaking at Transport questions in the Commons, Mr Harper said: "We will look very carefully at the proposals put forward, and I know the government will want to do what we can to make sure that this exciting proposal comes to fruition."

Universal has five entertainment and resort complexes around the world - Universal Orlando Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan (Osaka), Universal Beijing Resort and Universal Studios Singapore.

Labour MP Mohammad Yasin said the project would bring "enormous prosperity and jobs" to his Bedford constituency and the wider area.“

A small update but the UK Government has essentially given its backing to this project and is likely to provide incentives to Comcast to make sure this project comes to fruition (as both the transport secretary and chancellor have been in discussions with Comcast).

Politics latest: Universal's UK theme park plan gets government backing - as PM attacks imminent Labour 'U-turn'

Universal UK theme park: Government vows to support 'exciting' proposal​

The government has today pledged to help Universal succeed in its "exciting" plans for a UK theme park.
Transport Secretary Mark Harper, pressed to fund road improvements to aid the bid, said he has been briefed about the scheme, while Chancellor Jeremy Hunt has also been involved.
Universal Destinations & Experiences is in the "very early stages of exploring the possibility of a potential park and resort experience" in Bedford.

Its parent company, Comcast Corporation, which owns Sky News, has purchased land near the market town, with a feasibility study taking place.

Speaking at Transport questions in the Commons, Mr Harper said: "We will look very carefully at the proposals put forward, and I know the government will want to do what we can to make sure that this exciting proposal comes to fruition."

Universal has five entertainment and resort complexes around the world - Universal Orlando Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan (Osaka), Universal Beijing Resort and Universal Studios Singapore.

Labour MP Mohammad Yasin said the project would bring "enormous prosperity and jobs" to his Bedford constituency and the wider area.“

Great find..!!! Much appreciated!

This is awesome news.

Thanks to you I have managed to find the Transport Questions on the BBC iPlayer website.

This may not work for those outside the UK, apologies in advance.

Its right near the end, 51:52 in.

A very interesting and short exchange that I think tells us an awful lot.

Labour Local MP says he knows all government infrastructure funds have already been allocated until 2025. But would the Conservative government reconsider this now Universal want to build a park?

Current Conversative Minister Of Transport says he already knows about this, and so does the Chancellor (££££), and they will do everything they can to make this happen.

Did two politicians from opposite parties just agree on something? Comcast must have real wands.

Last edited:
That’s some serious detective work! Well done!

Bedford is a marginal Labour/Cons seat, mayor is LibDem/Cons toss up, and mid Beds traditionally Tory but Labour because Dorries is a lunatic. Every party will support.

Reactions: yepthatguy
I mean, with a few minor changes, it probably wouldn't be that far off... however, some of those extinct rides/attractions sadly won't be resurrected. Realistically speaking.

I am curious though what this park could get

Something Wicked related would be quite cool imo but I guess it depends on the success of the movies and their longevity.

I mean, with a few minor changes, it probably wouldn't be that far off... however, some of those extinct rides/attractions sadly won't be resurrected. Realistically speaking.

I am curious though what this park could get
Really? I doubt any of this makes it to the UK other than a Jurassic World land

Jurassic World I would say is highly likely. Other than that I would say a Hollywood style area is very much possible.

Jurassic World I would say is highly likely. Other than that I would say a Hollywood style area is very much possible.
That's a possibility too though I'm thinking we might see a London land instead to fit stuff like Bond and Paddington who probably can't hold down their own lands

I have a list of my thought process at the moment, it’s by no means my final thoughts but at least what I’m thinking currently:

- Port Britannia
Traditional British seaside town
Rock shop

- Sky Studios
James Bond stunt show
Studio style tour, Wicked probs etc
Paddington in the style of SLOP OTL

- Jurassic World
Majority of the land inside the aviary (to feel outside)
No water ride
Beijing clone dark ride
Play area

- Illumination
Super silly fun land story coaster akin to HTTYD coaster

-LOTR
I don’t know enough about the franchise for suggestions but would be the WWOHP of the park.

Reactions: TVUpbm
I imagine this park will follow a similar format to Epic Universe, with an entry land and 4 IP themed lands. I think the supposed James Bond and Paddington attractions would likely be a part of the front area of the park.

sees @BBPH's list, gets dumb thought

Hollywood/Studio Central
- Bond Stuntacular
- Lights, Cameras, Action! with Christopher Nolan (Replace Steven with Nolan due to UK association)
- Paddington Dark Ride in the style of Cat in The Hat

Illumination
- Secret Life of Pets: Off The Leash (is not a UOR Attraction)
- Super Silly Fun Land from USJ
- Despicable Me/Minions Water Dark Ride, similar to Kung Fu Panda

Pokemon
- Custom Pokemon Land exclusive to UK, with unique attractions and elements separate from whatever is coming to USJ and UOR.

Jurassic World
- Version of Beijing with more shade (perhaps including the mountain more as part of core land design)

Wildcard IP (Be that Potter or LOTR)
-Wildcard suckers

It was light enough to see the site well from the train this morning. There’s a digger on site now marked at red circle. It could have been there a while - last time I travelled it was dark, but it could be new. View attachment 20741
If it's there it's probably just for tree preservation there's some elements of the site that will be very Monks walk if you know what I mean

sees @BBPH's list, gets dumb thought

Hollywood/Studio Central
- Bond Stuntacular
- Lights, Cameras, Action! with Christopher Nolan (Replace Steven with Nolan due to UK association)
- Paddington Dark Ride in the style of Cat in The Hat

Illumination
- Secret Life of Pets: Off The Leash (is not a UOR Attraction)
- Super Silly Fun Land from USJ
- Despicable Me/Minions Water Dark Ride, similar to Kung Fu Panda

Pokemon
- Custom Pokemon Land exclusive to UK, with unique attractions and elements separate from whatever is coming to USJ and UOR.

Jurassic World
- Version of Beijing with more shade (perhaps including the mountain more as part of core land design)

Wildcard IP (Be that Potter or LOTR)
-Wildcard suckers
This is a terrific lineup tbh.

This is a terrific lineup tbh.
To me, it comes back to what others have spoken; of how you make a Universal UK stand out compared to that of Orlando. You focus on "Stories" and "Storytellers".

Nolan in particular feels exceptionally apt for this IMO. In the wake of modern prestige directors/writers, Christopher Nolan is up there in the echelon of iconic and groundbreaking directors, who not only values the art of film; but of the practicality of a film. I also think the combined presence he has within British entertainment as a director.

While I love Spielberg and I think he has sense to be involved as much as the next guy--there isn't anyone quite like Nolan out here in entertainment. For forever how frustrating and stubborn he is.

To me, it comes back to what others have spoken; of how you make a Universal UK stand out compared to that of Orlando. You focus on "Stories" and "Storytellers".

Nolan in particular feels exceptionally apt for this IMO. In the wake of modern prestige directors/writers, Christopher Nolan is up there in the echelon of iconic and groundbreaking directors, who not only values the art of film; but of the practicality of a film. I also think the combined presence he has within British entertainment as a director.

While I love Spielberg and I think he has sense to be involved as much as the next guy--there isn't anyone quite like Nolan out here in entertainment. For forever how frustrating and stubborn he is.
Nolan would be perfect, I agree. You can maybe even add Jordan Peele and Greta Gerwig if they want more headliners. Would make for a great attraction with all of their properties combined.