Universal Great Britain | Page 136 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Sounds like a step forward for the planning process, although perhaps not relevant to Universal’s plans as the previous government (and the current one, I assume) have bypassed the traditional planning process for USGB by taking the unprecedented step of opting for a Special Development Order for the site. This bypasses any local authority decision-making, bypasses the process for National Infrastructure Projects, instead putting Ministers in charge of taking the decision. I think this is altogether faster and more streamlined than any other way of considering Universal’s plans.

Reactions: Altonsky
Could we have a political Britain forum so we can keep this focused on actual news about the (hopefully) coming theme park.
I know I’m brining in a fair bit of political discussion but this is an inherently political project and we’re all at the mercy of their political decisions when it comes to this project.

Bedford have been given the hurry-up by the National Planning Inspectorate to make progress on their local economic development plan (arising from the new government’s push to get planning on the move, as seen in the letters above). Obviously the Universal plans have a direct bearing on Bedford’s local plan, including what houses might be built on the land owned by Universal, which is acknowledged by the Planning Inspector. But as Bedford can’t directly impact the Universal plans it leaves them in a tough spot. Ministers need to take a decision on the theme park, then Bedford can move on its local plan.