Universal Lack of Announcements Thread | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Lack of Announcements Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yep, you are following where I am coming from. We talk to other guest at the hotels (and many employees) during our stays (or notice the different accents and languages being spoken.

I can buy that marketing is comfortable that they have a good balance of hotel occupancy (I assume this equates to better average guest spend) along with park capacity to where folks find the vacation a good value and a pleasant (stress free) break from reality.
Yes. That's where the big money is, no doubt....on site hotel guests.

What’s interesting I think is perception. We want more information and think universal is screwing up. But on another hand we could view this as confident in their product and marketing.

I think it’s important to separate two things

1) Our desire as fans to know what’s coming next
2) Advertising’s role to fill hotel rooms and sell tickets

On #1 we all agree Universal is bad at. No doubt. #2 is something we just don’t have access to and we extrapolate our frustrations with #1 onto #2.

Universal is gonna Universal, they are not Disney and no matter how much we complain it won’t change that, it’ll just create a negative and toxic atmosphere. Additionally because we don’t know something doesn’t mean there isn’t a plan or something rolling out. There can be a two year in the works plan on this coaster roll out with video updates, insider interviews, etc ready to go once they hit a date, but because we don’t know anything we assume they’re sitting on their hands, running around confused, or “incompetent.”

Don’t confuse our frustrations as fans with a lack of larger game plan.

So, I know that for many others they just stomp their feet and go, "I want to know!", but I'm viewing this currently strictly from a marketing POV. I personally don't care about what the official name of the Forbidden Forrest ride is, I'm just shocked that everything is so vague to the point of stripping a teaser image that debuted last year that was also extremely vague. It's less entitlement, more confusion.

I'm sure Universal has a plan, and if it works, it works and that's great! But so far, it's making me scratch my head. A lot of you are giving Universal the benefit of the doubt, and a lot of it is based on things you've heard and I understand that. But it's statements like these:

Potter is a stupid situation as there will have been people 6 months ago from the UK looking at their plans for 2019. Holidays for 2020 are already on offer. It’s very naive to assume this hasn’t swayed business in many situations potentially from Universal to Disney.

I’m actually in a similar holiday decision making process situation now. We were dead set on Florida for 2020. The lack of real information from Universal about Orlando (we know about Disney and the Mickey ride is intruiging) but we’re actually changing plans to California. Potter could have swayed that, but if the announcement isn’t soon i’ll likely have 2020 booked up already (not taking into account thousands already made plans for 2019!)

I don’t know if they know that these holidays cost thousands from the UK and people typically book well in advance (as they require saving for many)

Attraction Tickets Direct, a major seller of theme park tickets in the UK have been selling Galaxys Edge as a reason to visit Disney World since October 2018 through email, Facebook advertising, paid search.

Everything about this direction from Universal is wrong,

...that make me question their direction. All the pieces aren't adding up and the fact is that this is not normal in the industry at all. Even regional parks almost always announce before the end of the year, and this is supposed to be huge. I'm so happy that UOR is investing so heavily, but on the same level I wish they would try to battle with the big dogs on a marketing level as well.

Yet again, I know the pushback is going to be, "it just works." Well, I have to agree to disagree because I'm not sure if it's going to work this time. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong.

So, I know that for many others they just stomp their feet and go, "I want to know!", but I'm viewing this currently strictly from a marketing POV. I personally don't care about what the official name of the Forbidden Forrest ride is, I'm just shocked that everything is so vague to the point of stripping a teaser image that debuted last year that was also extremely vague. It's less entitlement, more confusion.

I'm sure Universal has a plan, and if it works, it works and that's great! But so far, it's making me scratch my head. A lot of you are giving Universal the benefit of the doubt, and a lot of it is based on things you've heard and I understand that. But it's statements like these:

...that make me question their direction. All the pieces aren't adding up and the fact is that this is not normal in the industry at all. Even regional parks almost always announce before the end of the year, and this is supposed to be huge. I'm so happy that UOR is investing so heavily, but on the same level I wish they would try to battle with the big dogs on a marketing level as well.

Yet again, I know the pushback is going to be, "it just works." Well, I have to agree to disagree because I'm not sure if it's going to work this time. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong.
Agreed and agreed.

Reactions: Ryan
Then maybe some changes will be made of it doesn’t? I don’t get why people are so stressed out about it

Then why discuss anything at all? I'm just stating my viewpoint as much as you have the right to state yours.

Then go next year when you know it and Star Wars will be open?

Also, maybe that’s exactly *why* Uni is waiting to announce an opening? So they know it’ll be ready? Just a thought

Disney does staggered announcements all the time, and at least they actually say what the ride will be instead of sitting on vague notions for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrn14

Also, maybe that’s exactly *why* Uni is waiting to announce an opening? So they know it’ll be ready? Just a thought

If Uni expects this to be ready by May, I will announce an opening for late June or early July, that way you give yourself some buffer space in case something goes wrong. If the thing is 100% ready, you soft open.

Reactions: jrn14

They don't have to give an exact date, but a month would be nice. They're hiring for this ride at the end of the month (29th and 30th are when interviews are being held). Yeah, things can go wrong and I get them being cautious, but I can guarantee things WILL be going wrong up to and likely beyond opening day. At some point, you just have to pull the trigger on an announcement.

For me, i'm not "stressed" about it, i'm just annoyed at their practice when it comes to how they handle these things. It's, quite frankly, stupid. Plenty could go wrong with construction for Galaxy's Edge too, but Iger already said June for DL and it's been announced as late Fall 2019 for WDW for a long time. Sometimes you have to take a risk that things *might* go wrong in order to get the word out. Or even a name.

Then why discuss anything at all? I'm just stating my viewpoint as much as you have the right to state yours.

Every time someone says this, here or elsewhere, and on any topic, it carries the implication that the right to state one's viewpoint comes with the right not to be contradicted. That's not how it works. You have the right to state your viewpoint, and then everyone else has the right to respond "You're wrong/that's dumb/Nope/Not today, Satan." You don't get the former if you can't handle the latter.

Not a shot at you, Ryan, just an observation on the way discourse is developing today.

Reactions: JoeCamel
2019 is the last year until 2022 where Uni has the advantage over Disney to bring in guests.With Disney dominating 2020/21 with new stuff and anniversaries, Uni will be in the shadows until we get that Fantastic new stuff.

Reactions: P@n!K_Sw1tC#
2019 is the last year until 2022 where Uni has the advantage over Disney to bring in guests.With Disney dominating 2020/21 with new stuff and anniversaries, Uni will be in the shadows until we get that Fantastic new stuff.

I guess I just don’t know why any of this matters? I’m not making personal gains off of any of these parks outside of getting cool new rides. I’m getting a cool new ride from Universal this year so I’m content.

Uni has always been in the shadows. Hell even during the years Hogsmeade/Diagon was new Disney still trounced Universal in attendance.

20/21 was going to be Disney’s years no matter what. If the Potter coaster is as great as we expect it to, the word of mouth will help Uni over the next few years far better than any marketing campaign will.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Every time someone says this, here or elsewhere, and on any topic, it carries the implication that the right to state one's viewpoint comes with the right not to be contradicted. That's not how it works. You have the right to state your viewpoint, and then everyone else has the right to respond "You're wrong/that's dumb/Nope/Not today, Satan." You don't get the former if you can't handle the latter.

Not a shot at you, Ryan, just an observation on the way discourse is developing today.

Wait, uh... you do know I'm agreeing with you, right? I think you should re-read my post.

Wait, uh... you do know I'm agreeing with you, right? I think you should re-read my post.
It's not a matter of agreement or disagreement. It's the "I'm just stating my viewpoint," which is fast becoming a bugbear for me. Like I said, not a shot at you specifically, or your opinion itself - although I salute you for your wisdom in agreeing with me. ;)

I've been thinking for a bit on how to address this topic. I really don't know why it's become a problem as of late. Since 2010, Universal has always followed this pattern, even sometimes in extreme cases. Springfield comes to mind. It was almost completed before it was announced, 3 months before opening. Transformers was announced as workers watched from the construction site of a half-built show building. Diagon Alley and Kong were also announced way into the construction process.

It's always been their M.O.

So since this discussion has been a trend in the past year, I looked at what's different between 2010 to now; and I came to 3 different thoughts.

1. Disney finally showed they want to play - with major projects across their US Resorts, including Star Wars, Marvel, Tron, Epcot Re-Do, etc.
2. We're coming off the heels of the much-maligned Supercharged, whereas other projects in the past were received favorably.
3. The internet, and growth of social media and how info is shared.

The first 2 points are pretty self-explanatory. Social media has enabled information to be accessed instantaneously. Going back 10 years, specifically during the construction of Hogsmeade, it wasn't as easy to see progress like we do today. Twitter was still young (as in 1M followers was a supreme achievement for Ashton Kutcher, now it's standard for any major co. or celeb.) Photos were still not part of the mobile OS. I remember having to email Drew a photo that the castle turret was installed on Hogwarts Castle. He downloaded the image on his PC, uploaded the image on yfrog, and finally linked to Twitter. Now, any dummy with a mobile phone can share photos in seconds around Universal at a moment's notice. Not saying this applies to all, but we're definitely in the Age of Now. Where we need the latest and greatest, and when we get it, it's not enough.

Horror Nights is a great example of this. The speculation is bigger than the event in some regards. It never fails, as soon as Day 1 of the event starts, there's the "So what about next year?".

From our perspective, and I think some need to understand this, is that we do not have access to certain information (market data, research, trends, surveys, and what have you). Which brings me to rumors, or specifically, inside information.

Inside information is not meant to be shared (DURR). So when a rumor is shared, it's not because Universal wants it out there. (ANOTHER DURR).

Things change, plans change, concepts change. They have the research that tells them how to act accordingly. Sometimes plans get bigger, other times, they get smaller. Nintendo leaving KidZone was an idea that got bigger. It sucks because we could've been experiencing the land sooner but for business purposes, Universal thought it best it would be one of the marquee lands in the new park. The only reason Nintendo/KZ was even a discussion is due to the rumors - not anything Universal shared publicly. I've used this analogy before, but if we put that much stock into rumors, we'd have Van Helsing instead of Harry Potter, and probably a much different resort. I know we're all looking forward to the new park, but since it's been in the realm of discussion - it keeps changing and evolving. What I know today is different than what I knew 3 months ago, and even more different from a year ago.

As far as growth, Universal has added since 2009:

Rip Ride Rockit
Wizarding World - Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley
Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts night show
Cinematic Spectacular and Celebration
Longer, and Improved Mardi Gras
Reworked Holiday Season
Expanded Horror Nights offerings, with all-time years.
Aventura
Cabana Bay and Towers
Sapphire Falls
Despicable Me
Transformers
Jimmy Fallon
Supercharged
King Kong
Redone Spider-Man
Redone Hulk
Volcano Bay
CityWalk Re-do
Mini-Golf
Added Buses/Garden Walk for Transporation
Raptor Encounter

And on the horizon, we have:
T2 Replacement
Potter Coaster
Jurassic Coaster
Endless Summer Resort
More CityWalk re-do
VB Expansion
KidZone Replacement
A New Friggin' Resort

And that's just Orlando. Hollywood got a Wizarding World, reworked areas, and the upcoming Jurassic World. Japan got a Wizarding World and is getting Nintendo. Singapore got a Universal Park. Beijing's parl is about to be the star that shines for a bit until the new gate in Orlando opens.....

C'mon ya'll...

I get wanting the next big thing and the "need" to know everything, but we got it pretty damn good; and if it wasn't for Universal/Potter, we wouldn't have this upcoming theme park renaissance with Disney and SeaWorld adding and expanding their parks.

Just gotta see the forest for the trees.