1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Universal Lack of Announcements Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Universal' started by Ryan, Jan 12, 2019.

1. RevFreako

RevFreako Premium Member

But those marketing dollars can be spent more efficiently another time, that's the point.

tankart150, shiekra38 and Mad Dog like this.
  2. belloq87

belloq87 Veteran Member

The middle ground between light and shadow...
    If Galaxy's Edge was going to open in close proximity to the Potter coaster, I think I'd buy into the line of thought about Universal believing Potter would get lost in the shuffle a little more than I do. These events are going to be separated by 4 - 6 months, though.

3. TommyJK

TommyJK Rookie

Sure. But peak marketing for Galaxy's edge is starting and going to continue to ramp up. It's going to capture all of the headlines and drown out anything Universal does right now for a Potter Coaster. It's bad from a opportunity cost standpoint.

But again to the other points I noted, we can see that it's not their MO to officially announce much until much closer to launch for the reasons speculated. They try to negate as much as possible the general public holding off/deferring their vacation plans because they know something new is coming and when.

Another speculation I have too is that Universal is satisfied with their smaller organic attendance growth rather than sharp peaks and valleys. UO and IOA have seen attendance growth of approx. 3% per year over the last 5ish years or more. This is more manageable that a sharp decline followed by a huge spike that they saw saw with Hogsmeade. Disney experienced this with Animal Kingdom (pre and post Avatar Land) and are likely experiencing this with SW:GE (I'm also interested to see what their numbers for Hollywood Studios look like from last year once the TEA report comes out). It can be much easier from an operational standpoint (staffing etc.) having a more predictable attendance pattern.

In the end, whatever they're doing seems to be working for them as a) they continue to have great resort occupancy numbers and b) continue to see year over year park attendance increases.

So I don't see them changing their strategies anytime soon. And to me it doesn't really matter. I get enough info on these boards to be satisfied with info on what's coming than needing Universal to market info any sooner than they do.

4. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Veteran Member

Disney has played it pretty quiet in the past decade, and are about to come out roaring with new attractions in all their parks. Sitting idle is not a concrete strategy. The only constant in business (and life) is change.

Andysol and tankart150 like this.
  5. UAN17

UAN17 Rookie

I can understand slightly the logic if this was only about the Potter coaster...but T2 has been shut forever and there’s been no mention of what’s replacing it....surely this one isn’t big enough for people the defer a vacation?

This seems like a wider strategy and not a Potter / Star Wars one

tankart150 and Scott W. like this.
  6. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

On the T2 replacement. I can see the hesitation from Universal’s POV. F&F was getting slated before it even opened and the reaction here to Bourne hasn’t exactly been stellar. It could turn out to be a great show but it’s going to be a hard sell plus I don’t think anybody is going to go out of their way to see a show based on a dated IP.

UAN17 likes this.
  7. GadgetGuru

GadgetGuru Premium Member

The new JP coaster is the weird part of all of this.

They started construction. It’s green lit. As of now, it’s going to happen.

What made that coaster so special? Why has everything else been in development hell except that coaster?

tankart150 likes this.
  8. Alicia

Alicia Premium Member

2 for 1 special from Intamin?

ChrisFL, Ryan, kristenabelle and 4 others like this.
  9. GadgetGuru

GadgetGuru Premium Member

Haha, that’s not a half bad guess. Maybe they finally filled up their repeat buyer punchcard.

If Universal is sticking to their “1 ride per park per year” philosophy, it seems like they should be starting a new ride in USF so it’ll open the same year the JP coaster opens.

10. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

I think it may have been as simple as Universal saying "we lost two coasters in IOA, we need to have two back"....And then Intamin was all like "You're in luck, this coupon just appeared"...and then they pulled a coupon out from Mark Woodbury's ear and he laughed and clapped

Then 'Happy' started playing

hishedale, Kmac, EddieB and 4 others like this.
  11. Happytycho

Happytycho Rookie

They haven't opened rides in both IOA and USF during the same calendar year since Hogwarts Express back in 2014.

tankart150 and GadgetGuru like this.
  12. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

That's more of its own entity anyway haha

13. RevFreako

RevFreako Premium Member

They're not sitting idle, they're growing steadily. This is not a hard concept.

14. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

Things aren’t in development hell?

15. TommyJK

TommyJK Rookie

They're not sitting idle. They're biding their time and will decide when and how loud to roar that makes business sense for them (not us).

And Disney hasn't been quiet in the last decade. They opened New Fantasyland expansion in 2012, Pandora in 2017, and Toy Story Land last year.

RevFreako likes this.
  16. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Veteran Member

2012 to 2017 was a pretty big gap...

tankart150 and Andysol like this.
  17. RevFreako

RevFreako Premium Member

When did Disney Springs open?

18. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Veteran Member

It's not relevant to this argument either way.

I'm glad the defense force is here to let us know everything UOR is doing is correct. In my opinion they aren't.

tankart150 and Andysol like this.
  19. RevFreako

RevFreako Premium Member

It sure is, Captain Strawman. It's right up there with the projects mentioned, and sits square in the middle of the gap you're losing your mind over.

tankart150 likes this.
  20. JungleSkip

JungleSkip Premium Member

Ah yes, nothing says "sitting idle" like building 2 new rides, a new stunt show, and a new theme park.

People seriously misunderstood the "1 ride per park per year" thing, and Comcast probably could have made it clearer. "1 project per resort per year" would have probably been the better way of describing it.