Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Lack of Announcements Thread

They have a new Ride from their best property, that is supppaed to open this summer, before SWL does. Spending marketing dollars to inform the public that, is in no way a “waste”. Galaxy’s Edge isn’t going away. It will likely be featured in their marketing for years to come.

But those marketing dollars can be spent more efficiently another time, that's the point.

If Galaxy's Edge was going to open in close proximity to the Potter coaster, I think I'd buy into the line of thought about Universal believing Potter would get lost in the shuffle a little more than I do. These events are going to be separated by 4 - 6 months, though.

They have a new Ride from their best property, that is supppaed to open this summer, before SWL does. Spending marketing dollars to inform the public that, is in no way a “waste”. Galaxy’s Edge isn’t going away. It will likely be featured in their marketing for years to come.

Sure. But peak marketing for Galaxy's edge is starting and going to continue to ramp up. It's going to capture all of the headlines and drown out anything Universal does right now for a Potter Coaster. It's bad from a opportunity cost standpoint.

But again to the other points I noted, we can see that it's not their MO to officially announce much until much closer to launch for the reasons speculated. They try to negate as much as possible the general public holding off/deferring their vacation plans because they know something new is coming and when.

Another speculation I have too is that Universal is satisfied with their smaller organic attendance growth rather than sharp peaks and valleys. UO and IOA have seen attendance growth of approx. 3% per year over the last 5ish years or more. This is more manageable that a sharp decline followed by a huge spike that they saw saw with Hogsmeade. Disney experienced this with Animal Kingdom (pre and post Avatar Land) and are likely experiencing this with SW:GE (I'm also interested to see what their numbers for Hollywood Studios look like from last year once the TEA report comes out). It can be much easier from an operational standpoint (staffing etc.) having a more predictable attendance pattern.

In the end, whatever they're doing seems to be working for them as a) they continue to have great resort occupancy numbers and b) continue to see year over year park attendance increases.

So I don't see them changing their strategies anytime soon. And to me it doesn't really matter. I get enough info on these boards to be satisfied with info on what's coming than needing Universal to market info any sooner than they do.

Sure. But peak marketing for Galaxy's edge is starting and going to continue to ramp up. It's going to capture all of the headlines and drown out anything Universal does right now for a Potter Coaster. It's bad from a opportunity cost standpoint.

But again to the other points I noted, we can see that it's not their MO to officially announce much until much closer to launch for the reasons speculated. They try to negate as much as possible the general public holding off/deferring their vacation plans because they know something new is coming and when.

Another speculation I have too is that Universal is satisfied with their smaller organic attendance growth rather than sharp peaks and valleys. UO and IOA have seen attendance growth of approx. 3% per year over the last 5ish years or more. This is more manageable that a sharp decline followed by a huge spike that they saw saw with Hogsmeade. Disney experienced this with Animal Kingdom (pre and post Avatar Land) and are likely experiencing this with SW:GE (I'm also interested to see what their numbers for Hollywood Studios look like from last year once the TEA report comes out). It can be much easier from an operational standpoint (staffing etc.) having a more predictable attendance pattern.

In the end, whatever they're doing seems to be working for them as a) they continue to have great resort occupancy numbers and b) continue to see year over year park attendance increases.

So I don't see them changing their strategies anytime soon. And to me it doesn't really matter. I get enough info on these boards to be satisfied with info on what's coming than needing Universal to market info any sooner than they do.

Disney has played it pretty quiet in the past decade, and are about to come out roaring with new attractions in all their parks. Sitting idle is not a concrete strategy. The only constant in business (and life) is change.

I can understand slightly the logic if this was only about the Potter coaster...but T2 has been shut forever and there’s been no mention of what’s replacing it....surely this one isn’t big enough for people the defer a vacation?

This seems like a wider strategy and not a Potter / Star Wars one

I can understand slightly the logic if this was only about the Potter coaster...but T2 has been shut forever and there’s been no mention of what’s replacing it....surely this one isn’t big enough for people the defer a vacation?

This seems like a wider strategy and not a Potter / Star Wars one

On the T2 replacement. I can see the hesitation from Universal’s POV. F&F was getting slated before it even opened and the reaction here to Bourne hasn’t exactly been stellar. It could turn out to be a great show but it’s going to be a hard sell plus I don’t think anybody is going to go out of their way to see a show based on a dated IP.

The new JP coaster is the weird part of all of this.

They started construction. It’s green lit. As of now, it’s going to happen.

What made that coaster so special? Why has everything else been in development hell except that coaster?

2 for 1 special from Intamin?
Haha, that’s not a half bad guess. Maybe they finally filled up their repeat buyer punchcard.

If Universal is sticking to their “1 ride per park per year” philosophy, it seems like they should be starting a new ride in USF so it’ll open the same year the JP coaster opens.

The new JP coaster is the weird part of all of this.

They started construction. It’s green lit. As of now, it’s going to happen.

What made that coaster so special? Why has everything else been in development hell except that coaster?
I think it may have been as simple as Universal saying "we lost two coasters in IOA, we need to have two back"....And then Intamin was all like "You're in luck, this coupon just appeared"...and then they pulled a coupon out from Mark Woodbury's ear and he laughed and clapped

Then 'Happy' started playing

Haha, that’s not a half bad guess. Maybe they finally filled up their repeat buyer punchcard.

If Universal is sticking to their “1 ride per park per year” philosophy, it seems like they should be starting a new ride in USF so it’ll open the same year the JP coaster opens.
They haven't opened rides in both IOA and USF during the same calendar year since Hogwarts Express back in 2014.

Disney has played it pretty quiet in the past decade, and are about to come out roaring with new attractions in all their parks. Sitting idle is not a concrete strategy. The only constant in business (and life) is change.

They're not sitting idle, they're growing steadily. This is not a hard concept.

They're not sitting idle. They're biding their time and will decide when and how loud to roar that makes business sense for them (not us).

And Disney hasn't been quiet in the last decade. They opened New Fantasyland expansion in 2012, Pandora in 2017, and Toy Story Land last year.

They're not sitting idle. They're biding their time and will decide when and how loud to roar that makes business sense for them (not us).

And Disney hasn't been quiet in the last decade. They opened New Fantasyland expansion in 2012, Pandora in 2017, and Toy Story Land last year.

2012 to 2017 was a pretty big gap...

It's not relevant to this argument either way.

I'm glad the defense force is here to let us know everything UOR is doing is correct. In my opinion they aren't.
It sure is, Captain Strawman. It's right up there with the projects mentioned, and sits square in the middle of the gap you're losing your mind over.

Ah yes, nothing says "sitting idle" like building 2 new rides, a new stunt show, and a new theme park.

People seriously misunderstood the "1 ride per park per year" thing, and Comcast probably could have made it clearer. "1 project per resort per year" would have probably been the better way of describing it.