Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Lack of Announcements Thread

I can't see spending that type of money on a one shot. IT could buy coverage for much longer. Lots of eyeballs but little staying power IMO unless you catch magic like a game worn jersey.
The only time I can recall them doing one is when the game airs on NBC and they have them run during halftime and during the pregame.
I really really hope you're wrong, because otherwise they're shrugging. It's an absolute shrug. It almost reads as overconfidence, as in "Potter will bring in crowds and we don't need marketing". Keep in mind that GE doesn't even open until December in Florida, whereas JW over at USH has been getting way more marketing zazz and that opens right alongside DL's GE.

And you're right: until vacation planning drastically plummets as a result of these decisions, they won't change their modus operandi but it's getting to dangerous waters right now.

I think the idea that only a Super Bowl commercial will suffice is a bit of an overreaction

The only time I can recall them doing one is when the game airs on NBC and they have them run during halftime and during the pregame.

I think the idea that only a Super Bowl commercial will suffice is a bit of an overreaction

Remember the UOR super bowl ad where they gave away free tickets?

Alright folks, seems like you all missed my point.

When I said “we” should matter I’m not just talking about this board. I’m talking the fan base and online community in general.

UOR has a Facebook profile and twitter account for a reason. Hype starts from the bottom. Without the online chatter, hype fizzles. How many “retweets” or shares would a name announcement get?

The whole purpose of social media advertising is to have your followers promote you.

Alright folks, seems like you all missed my point.

When I said “we” should matter I’m not just talking about this board. I’m talking the fan base and online community in general.

UOR has a Facebook profile and twitter account for a reason. Hype starts from the bottom. Without the online chatter, hype fizzles. How many “retweets” or shares would a name announcement get?

The whole purpose of social media advertising is to have your followers promote you.

We didn't misunderstand you. The fanbase and online community is a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the audience. We matter exactly as much as we should.

I thought you were talking about those being separate people. Even still, those could've been leads or management types within UOR. Many of them dress nicely and DO carry around clipboards.

Of course it's also possible that you did see some of the execs. I imagine they've been here for more than just a day.
Funny story, one of my attorney buddy's a few years ago told me he was going to Universal, and I said hey, I'll tag along. I meet him there and he's wearing a suit and has his normal work bag, and I'm said why you dressed up, and he was like "oh, this is a business trip". We proceeded to go into the park, he asked me where one of the kids rides was, we proceeded over there, he took pictures, got out his clipboard and a tape measure, took measurements, made notes, etc... And if memory serves me right, this was in KidZone. So yeah, the well dressed guy holding the clipboard may just be planning to sue Universal or something lol.

I really really hope you're wrong, because otherwise they're shrugging. It's an absolute shrug. It almost reads as overconfidence, as in "Potter will bring in crowds and we don't need marketing". Keep in mind that GE doesn't even open until December in Florida, whereas JW over at USH has been getting way more marketing zazz and that opens right alongside DL's GE.

And you're right: until vacation planning drastically plummets as a result of these decisions, they won't change their modus operandi but it's getting to dangerous waters right now.

Superbowl commercials have a pretty long shelf life and get featured on dozens of sites after the fact.
Overconfidence, i agree its my only conclusion. I feel they think they dont need to announce potter coaster or they would have already, thats really the only truly proven statement about the lack of announcements on this coaster. Imo, yeah potter was a Huge success, but that still is not enough to just sit back and act like this cocky high school jock. Like yall still have much more ground to cover before really sizing up to disney, just chill yall.

Perhaps, and this may sound crazy to us, but perhaps, marketing is happy with the current rate of vacationers visiting the parks. And, (while the mouse down the street doesn't seem to mind dealing with it for Star Wars,) Universal Orlando knows they aren't prepared for, or willing to deal with, a massive onslaught of new guests this summer lined up to enter Hogsmeade again.

Promoting a new ride at the Wizarding World in the weeks leading up to its opening will do what it needs to do to create interest for people scheduling holiday vacations, or vacations next year, but will also ensure they don't get too overcrowded for the summer.

Word is from folks in the know, Orlando marketing seems pretty happy right now with where things are.

You're right, but it's getting awfully close. I keep saying that Super Bowl is their one shot at breaking thru the Star Wars hype.

A Super Bowl commercial for a project limited to the East could create more confusion. Unless it's just a standard come see Harry Potter type thing.

If anyone should do the Super Bowl commercial it would be for Galaxy's Edge being bicoastal.

lol ok, if “we” all ride the Potter coaster at once “we” can get through the line in under an hour

No we shouldn't. We are a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the audience.

That's kind of the point, Universal doesn't seem to like or want fandom. They just want vacationers. Meanwhile the "We" at Disneyland is over a million pass holders.

Outside of Halloween Horror Nights or Potter, they don't really want to push their brand to have a fan following. They just want consistent business. I think that's very multifactorial - they are freaked out about slow periods if people put off vacations for new rides, they are freaked out about poor reception (Fast and Furious) and they are freaked out about operations when too many people come (Volcano Bay).

Which I guess gets to @Alicia 's point that it's not that they would balk at more money, but they are afraid of people coming in droves and eviscerating the place like Volcano Bay again.

All in all they are afraid of so many things, which seems odd for a company that moved well beyond that stage a decade ago.

That's kind of the point, Universal doesn't seem to like or want fandom. They just want vacationers. Meanwhile the "We" at Disneyland is over a million pass holders.

I'll tell you a little secret: NO company really likes or wants fandom at the level we're talking about. My favorite quote about wrestling is, "If Vince listened to the nerds online, every match would be one hour of Chris Benoit vs. Shawn Michaels, and no one would watch."

Perhaps, and this may sound crazy to us, but perhaps, marketing is happy with the current rate of vacationers visiting the parks. And, (while the mouse down the street doesn't seem to mind dealing with it for Star Wars,) Universal Orlando knows they aren't prepared for, or willing to deal with, a massive onslaught of new guests this summer lined up to enter Hogsmeade again.

Promoting a new ride at the Wizarding World in the weeks leading up to its opening will do what it needs to do to create interest for people scheduling holiday vacations, or vacations next year, but will also ensure they don't get too overcrowded for the summer.

Word is from folks in the know, Orlando marketing seems pretty happy right now with where things are.

This would not surprise me.

The realistic view on UOR is that having ~10 million guests per park per year is probably where the parks are most comfortable. Especially when Uni is getting 80+% occupancy at their hotels to go along with it.

One of my complaints when it comes to WDW, and all Disney parks for that matter, is that they’re too damn crowded for their own good. Not that Disney can really do anything about that, of course.

So I’m personally good with Uni not drawing MK-like numbers

I think there's difference between a massive, for-the-general-public marketing blitz intended to drive attendance... and engaging the fanbase in a fun way to get them excited for something.

I don't have any issue with them being quite conservative when it comes to the former, but - outside of HHN season - they don't really do much of the latter on a consistent basis, at least from where I'm sitting.

I agree. I said something similar a bit back about them being 90% plus booked on their hotel resorts most all the time (per Universal Exec.). No real need to announce too far ahead since the tourists are coming regardless. The cream will be the Central Florida visitors, and they'll start coming as soon as they find the ride is open.

Interesting thought...We heard from another thread that Universal was down a bit from normal...I just don't want them to loose momentum

Especially with Star Wars coming online

For what it's worth, the Muggle Net picture has been shared quite a bit on local news stations that I follow

In reference to the company being down. That may be true of other resorts, but not Orlando.
Ah, previous discussion made it sound like Orlando was not seeing the numbers it was anticipating

I suppose they are building another hotel because they believe it will be occupied....who knew haha

Ah, previous discussion made it sound like Orlando was not seeing the numbers it was anticipating

I suppose they are building another hotel because they believe it will be occupied....who knew haha

“Not seeing the numbers it was anticipating” and “down” are two very different things.

But AFAIK the only park not hitting expectations was Volcano Bay, and that’s mostly due to the wildly inaccurate initial projections UOR had for it