Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Orlando August 1 Press Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking about when Pirates of the Caribbean and stuff like that. It's not a insult, I'm just saying. The latest IP's don't mean everything.
There’s literally a Jungle Cruise movie coming out next year.

Also, the time you are talking about is only a little over 10 years ago. Movies have always lead to theme park representation. Hell, sleeping beauty castle was built to promote the upcoming film initially.

I believe Van Helsing was an almost thing using the FJ technology before Potter, and they instead used much of that for FJ....and that's one of the best rides in existence.

I’m not sure if it was to use that technology but it was definitely planned for that plot of land.

I mean, a Frankenstein inside coaster and Dracula's castle dark ride would be cool, but would they be FANTASTIC in 2023?
Yes.

I'm assuming Creative is going to take some liberties with the IPs. Not to the extent of the Tom Cruise movie of course, but... I think Creative is going to go balls to the wall to make it awesome, while staying true to the spirit of the movies.

I believe Van Helsing was an almost thing using the FJ technology before Potter, and they instead used much of that for FJ....and that's one of the best rides in existence.

Yeah, but it has nothing to do with the Van Helsing IP, and everything to do with Kuka. Van Helsing was a flop. Not an IP you would buy, I guess if it was in house, you could use it.

I'd have to guess kids are still reading LOTR and Hobbit. The movies are over, but the books are still the Epitome of Fantasy.

Yeah, but it has nothing to do with the Van Helsing IP, and everything to do with Kuka. Van Helsing was a flop. Not an IP you would buy, I guess if it was in house, you could use it.

I'd have to guess kids are still reading LOTR and Hobbit. The movies are over, but the books are still the Epitome of Fantasy.
just meant it as an an example of it being considered for a horror IP, regardless of movie quality.

On the screens front, I wonder if they’ll address it. A simple ‘we’ve heard you, the new park will be a return to physical sets’

Crowd goes wild.

0 chance they say anything like that. Mostly because there will definitely be screens in the park, even if there won’t be the amount that USF has, it’d still be a lie haha

0 chance they say anything like that. Mostly because there will definitely be screens in the park, even if there won’t be the amount that USF has, it’d still be a lie haha
Agreed. Plus the "we've heard you" message might work for some products and services, but it certainly doesn't work here. Universal is still trying to sell USF tickets, and admitting anything is wrong with the current parks (other than technical difficulties) goes against this agenda.

In regard to LOTR, don't forget Amazon is creating a series based on LOTR. They bought the rights for $250 million dollars and have intentions on spending upwards of a billion on the production. This TV series will immediately make LOTR relevant again. I know it's a prequel to the original but I still think it will be epic.

The issue with LOTR isn’t relevancy. Uni has tried to get the rights. They have either been flat out refused or the entrance fee isn’t worth it. I don’t know what the reason is. But they’ve tried. It’s not happening right now. Who knows what the future will bring

It would also be admitting that they over did it with screens and would send a bad message about USF. By saying “we heard you...” etc, etc, that’s almost saying they know people aren’t fully digging USF and why would you put that out there?

It would also be admitting that they over did it with screens and would send a bad message about USF. By saying “we heard you...” etc, etc, that’s almost saying they know people aren’t fully digging USF and why would you put that out there?

Because admitting a mistake is great PR? Even if they don’t directly reference it and only mention that they’re aiming for a more physical park than before, it should hopefully shut up the SCREENZ brigade.

Because admitting a mistake is great PR? Even if they don’t directly reference it and only mention that they’re aiming for a more physical park than before, it should hopefully shut up the SCREENZ brigade.
But why is it necessary to announce? Just build rides and promote them as practical when the new park hype machine starts to go into full gear in 2022 or so.

The issue with LOTR isn’t relevancy. Uni has tried to get the rights. They have either been flat out refused or the entrance fee isn’t worth it. I don’t know what the reason is. But they’ve tried. It’s not happening right now. Who knows what the future will bring

Christopher Tolkien has always been the roadblock to theme park rights; heck, pretty much any licensing of the properties. I’m still floored the movies got made.

That having been said, something changed relatively recently, and I was equally floored at the Amazon series news. Which leads me to believe that the theme park rights have been, if not actively shopped, at least available to be discussed.

I’m guessing Christopher, now in his mid-90’s, has lost his grip on control over the estate and the younger family members are looking to cash in.

Christopher Tolkien has always been the roadblock to theme park rights; heck, pretty much any licensing of the properties. I’m still floored the movies got made.

That having been said, something changed relatively recently, and I was equally floored at the Amazon series news. Which leads me to believe that the theme park rights have been, if not actively shopped, at least available to be discussed.

I’m guessing Christopher, now in his mid-90’s, has lost his grip on control over the estate and the younger family members are looking to cash in.

Yea. They’ve tried since then. Best to just forget about LOTR coming to UOR any time soon

He hasn't had control for about two years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.