Universal Orlando Landscaping | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Landscaping

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I kind of dig what they did in front of Toothsome

37322348726_af4540b1c0_c.jpg

37322348726_af4540b1c0_c.jpg

Frank, in order, they are...

Phoenix dactylifera
Bismarckia nobilis
Livistona chinensis
Saw palmetto or European Fan palm (common names)

The final picture isn’t a palm but a cycad... in this case a grouping of King Sago. Latin: Cycas revoluta

Aren’t I Mr fancy pants :)

I think for the last one, the trunks got me, but I guess I should have known for the palms or lack there of. I just enjoy walking to the paths that lead from hotel to park and such. Plus RPR seems to just have an unreal amount/variety of plant life on the grounds.

sort of like:

I have no clue what these are save that they are the tiniest things I have ever seen:

37160419660_e20fe58868_c.jpg

now I know this is only the trunk, but would you know if the things on there are because of the type, or is that something that just decided to live there?

37160420380_0de2370610_c.jpg

then these things, I do not think I see them down here, but the winds tore most of the ones I saw up (I mean just the palms or leaves)

37370485666_e1d8bc2fed_c.jpg

then there is this thing, not sure again, but it looks like palms but maybe not palms, they just seem to leaf more than palm

37370483626_6da4528886_c.jpg

and then this stuff growing, when stuff like that (berries or something) grows down here, it never seems to look this purdy

201709_IMG_1953 by Peter Bierman, on Flickr

:faint::D:peace:

The first is a very sickly philodendron Xanadu. Sickly because it is not getting enough light. Notice too that even this philodendron species grows a trunk. It needs to be dug up and thrown out. Here is what it should look like.

whole_apo_1.jpg

The second is Chorisia speciosa. I believe it is commonly known as a tulip tree but I’m not sure of that.

The third is commonly known as a travelers palm. It is indigenous to Madagascar.

The fourth is commonly known as a fishtail palm. Not a great picture so I’m not sure exactly what species. The fifth picture is also a fishtail.

Last edited:
We have Tulip trees up here. I have a few on my property. They don't look like that. They were brought over from Europe in the 17th century. Carter's Grove plantation in the Williamsburg vicinity has a large number of them . I have one that is so wide at the base that three people, arms extended, are the circumference of the trunk. The Tulip type flowers bloom in May and are orange in color.

Thanks for the pictures Frank!

Correction, the Chorisia’s common name is Silk Floss Tree and not tulip.

Don’t get me started on the flowering Clerodendrum species used in the parks!

In answer to your question, the palm that your parents referred to as a sable palm is Sabal palmetto. It is native to the south eastern United States and is mostly used around roadways and public buildings. Another common name for the same palm is cabbage palm. Almost all if not all plants are dug up from wild stands to be used in the nursery trade .

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Drackman