Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that a total of one person has reported it on twitter, I'd argue the demolition/relocation is pure speculation as well.
I did look into it a bit and I did find the 2022 date... but it was for a relief high school for Dr. Phillips, which tells me the school is sticking around and he just got confused.

Look no further than Disneyland and their railway.

Pirates, Indiana Jones, Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain all expand beyond the railway.

View attachment 9931

Some go under and some go over. Disneyland have the luxury of being able to go underground which Universal doesn't because of the high water level but luckily, the HE is elevated which still gives an option to go above or below.

I love creative thinking for problems like this, it leads to some of the best experiences.

The stretching room in the Haunted Mansion exists because they needed an excuse to get the guests underground and below the railway track. It was so well received that they added it to the one in Magic Kingdom which doesn't change level.
And that's not even showing SW:GE.

I’m wondering how they would expand the parks given the Hogwarts Express bean kind of acts as a border to the parks at the moment. Like, how could they creativity hide the HE in potential new lands?
Look at Diagon for an example of how this could work: tightly enclosed areas with tall walls/buildings.

HE could just pass overhead as a themed bridge. Imagine a Nintendo Warp Tunnel as the entrance (yes I know Nintendo is rumored for FW). The noise could be masked with another sound, timed as it passes overhead.

Last edited:
I think the DPHS rumor falls under wild speculation, along with the following which has come up for locals in the area because it's not the first time I've heard it (even 15 years ago this came up):

Other "wild speculation rumors" that I've heard over the years. All these are very unlikely for a variety of reasons.
1. N. of Vineland Windhover Condos being bought out by Universal
2. Major Blvd area being bought out by Universal
3. Northeast side of Lake Marsha being bought out for Universal (Aka older areas of Lake Cain Hills) for a campground/beach style resort.
4. Terra Bella being taken over
5. Bell Apartments being torn down
6. Buying out Orange Tree Golf Club

They HAVE bought back that retail/office complex along turkey lake that they originally sold land for (aka The Promenade at Universal Plaza) . The Bell Apartments that were built in the old team member overflow parking, now that was just a bad decision by Vivendi back when they part owned Universal when they were selling off land for cash (Including the South Complex land).

The only other thing that sticks out is the Speedway gas station behind Hagrid. This used to be a 1940's style themed Texaco station when USF opened, then a more modern Hess, before becoming a Speedway.

Last edited:
They HAVE bought back that retail/office complex along turkey lake that they originally sold land for. The Apartments that were in the old team member overflow parking. That was just a bad decision by Vivendi back when they part owned Universal.
That was actually a GE move. It was right when Potter was being built and they were so short on funds, they decided to sell the land to get a quick buck. It's turned out to hurt them in the long run, but who knows if Universal ends up being this successful if they didn't get that extra money for Potter? Potter is honestly what saved Universal so they can deal with not having that land where the apartments are (even though it would be extremely helpful from a TM parking standpoint).

Look no further than Disneyland and their railway.

Pirates, Indiana Jones, Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain all expand beyond the railway.

View attachment 9931

Some go under and some go over. Disneyland have the luxury of being able to go underground which Universal doesn't because of the high water level but luckily, the HE is elevated which still gives an option to go above or below.

I love creative thinking for problems like this, it leads to some of the best experiences.

The stretching room in the Haunted Mansion exists because they needed an excuse to get the guests underground and below the railway track. It was so well received that they added it to the one in Magic Kingdom which doesn't change level.
Every time I ride Indiana Joes it feels I am walking into another state to ride the ride.

The only other thing that sticks out is the Speedway gas station behind Hagrid. This used to be a 1940's style themed Texaco station when USF opened, then a more modern Hess, before becoming a Speedway.

My friend told me about that being there years ago but I don’t think I could find any photos of it. It sounded cool, but I guess it didn’t last long?

One of the soundstages has a digital animation school, The Dave School. That could be relocated, which frees up some area directly behind Lost Continent. After high school, I did a year at New York Film Academy in the backlot of Universal Studios ( yes, the naming is confusing) in Hollywood. At the time there were talks of the school moving to a new location to move sound stages that were located closer to the theme park. It seems like they ended up moving those sound stages in Hollywood. I think it is possible to move some of the sound stages. They could always build higher quality ones next door and rent them to production companies.

That area is not close enough to Lost Continent to actually be utilized, has far too many other Back of House Stuff in between, and is directly connected to other Soundstages.

It's also important for everyone to keep in mind, that UO is currently bursting at the seams backstage. So anything that moves isn't necessarily to make space for more guest facing areas. Many business areas are either too small or decades behind.

So, I guess this whole Dr. Phillips HS thing was just a wild rumor?

If it was true, I'd have to imagine the news media would have mentioned it at some point. And since it involves a school, I'd think it would have to be a public record somewhere.

Thought I'd repost this, because I'm curious if the lighter cleared land in the center of the picture is the park layout. It makes a lot of sense.

D8aRSuRXYAEO51o.jpg

Thought I'd repost this, because I'm curious if the lighter cleared land in the center of the picture is the park layout. It makes a lot of sense.

D8aRSuRXYAEO51o.jpg
Pretty much. The other light area above it is backstage areas. The dark area to the right is parking lot.

Here’s a close up image of the area I believe is the theme park, in yellow, from what I could find in the development, water, and grading plans.

04EB57B9-DBAA-4A1E-87D2-7DF2A57D40D1.jpeg

Yeah, not to mention a ton of underground drainage. This thing might not go vertical for 2 or more years. lol Those warehouses and parking at the north end will probably be done before we see any real work on the park area.

Status
Not open for further replies.